PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Diskspace limitation by the router?

Voyager
24-01-2008, 14:14
Hi alltogether,
i'm using the 500w for about 8 weeks, and i'm really happy with it. Most of the features work like a charm, FTP, network storage, printserver and the standard routing features anyway.
But for some strange reason, the router can't use the whole disk's space of the 300GB-2,5" disk i attached to it. It was formatted with ext2, i could upload about 111GB until the system said "no more space on disk".
Formatted with FAT32, the failure appeared already at 75GB.

It's definitely not the disk, it is new and may be filled normally by attaching it to my laptop.

Anyone with similar experiences or even a nice workaround for this? :)

Voyager
24-01-2008, 14:20
Sorry, forgot that: when i formatted the hdd into one ext3 partition, the router was completely confused. It displayed two partitions to me, the data on the disk could be seen, but not be accessed.
I guess ext3 is something the router can't handle?

Thank's in advance for your replies!

WiziPok
24-02-2008, 20:43
HI

the "amount" of formatted disk space really depends on router's free memory space. So, depending on actual memory accupation, you could reach beetween 100-130 formatted MBs, after it due to overflow the router will freeze. - it's my experience.

So, the best way is to format the disk in other system and use with 500w.
I use 200MB disk wothout problem.

With Best Regards
WiZi

Sorry, forgot that: when i formatted the hdd into one ext3 partition, the router was completely confused. It displayed two partitions to me, the data on the disk could be seen, but not be accessed.
I guess ext3 is something the router can't handle?

Thank's in advance for your replies!

QMax
24-02-2008, 20:58
Maybe a swap partition could help before format.
I successfully formatted a 500Gb HDD on my 500gP with 50Mb swap file.

Max

afk
02-04-2008, 11:42
I`m using Seagate 750Gb and all okey! ;)
im think you should format drive as ntfs disk!

al37919
02-04-2008, 11:57
just to clarify:

original firmware uses ext2 (and has no support for ext3)

Oleg's firmware uses ext3 (and has no support for ext2)

Formatting of ext3 partition with size above ~120Gb requires swap (actually checking with e2fsck also).

raysr
06-09-2008, 18:06
Hi, I got a WD 320G USB hard drive connected to the WL-500W. I created 2 partitions on the drive, first one is a Linux EXT2 partition for 149Gb, 2nd is FAT32 partition for 149Gb. Now when I go to Share Node on the router utility, it shows part0 and part1, and I can't add those folders to share, complains that I can share only part2 and above. What do I do? Appreciate it if someone can please help.

Can someone please share exactly what your router settings are for USB HDD and list / size / type of partitions on your HDD?

Thanks.