PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : iTunes server

dsf260
01-12-2004, 16:58
I am about to purchase a WL-500g, and was trying to figure out if anyone has gotten it configured as an iTunes server. I've done a search on the site, but haven't come up w/ anything.

Setting the 500g up as an iTunes server w/ attached storage would allow 2 things: Access to a music library by devices like the Roku M1000 & SqueezeBox without powering up a PC, and access to the music library remotely.

I am an almost complete newbie with Linux and the 500g, although I actually have some experience with Xenix from years back and I have a better than basic understanding of networking, so not all of this is foreign.

Here's a link I found that describes how to set up an iTunes server on a typical linux install:

http://www.whatsinyourbox.org/article28.html

and here's a detailed description on how to get it running on a Linksys NSLU2 (a NAS box with out the S--similar to the add the USB HD feature on the 500g):

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article88.php

It doesn't look too tough, although the first example seems easier for the uninitiated (i.e. me), but I'm not sure how the instructions would be applied to the 500g...but it would be nice if somehow the device could load the right processes and fire them up automatically.

Thanks for the help...I am sure I will be dropping in here very often.

Darren

Styno
01-12-2004, 22:08
I believe forum user wlanman is busy setting up a streamcast audio server. Also there are other ppl trying to do streaming over usb or bluetooth, so there are certainly options here.

What you need is sourcode for an iTunes server which you can compile with the Asus toolchain. You also need to realise that the WL-500g has limited resources, so it might not be strange if it does not have the power to do what you want. Perhaps you can wait for the WL-500gx to come out. This version has faster hardware. Good luck

dsf260
02-12-2004, 01:48
Thanks for the response.

I've ordered the 500g...it's priced right and my router is on its way out (lost 100mbps capability).

I would be surprised if the 500g couldn't handle the iTunes server responsibilities. It's not a streaming server, but more like an overblown file server w/ metadata (at least I think that's all it is). It doesn't do any music decoding, so I don't think it would be much more of a strain over and above the file serving duties already built into the 500g. (I certainly could be wrong here.)

The source code is available at the links listed above; it's just that this whole compile/toolchain thing is new to me, so I'm a bit leery of just telneting in and poking around with no idea what I'm doing. Can you point me in a direction that gives me an idea of what the ./configure and make commands actually do?

The tom's hardware link is pretty explicit about what needs to be done--once I get everything running with the stock firmware, I'll probably give that a go.

Styno
02-12-2004, 09:33
In this forum you will find lots of topics where users created/compiled an application for the WL-500g themselves. In these topics there are lots of hints, tips and tricks about compiling and stuff. Also the http://wl500g.dyndns.org page is helpful.

Although I have no knowledge about compiling stuff for the WL-500g, I am planning on creating a WIKI page @ wiki.wl500g.info . This is however a bit of a long term process I'm afraid, because the end of the year is a veeerrryy busy period for me @work.

I suggest you install a custom firmware and start poking around in the router. And, again, also search the forum...

WlanMan
02-12-2004, 14:59
Hi

Sadly Im bussy with other stuff at the moment, but Shoutcast is still in my view. There is an Itunes server as GPL, used on the NSLU2. This is quite a nice thing, But it features USB2.0 and 32MB ram with an 200 Mhz Xscale Processor. Like i understand Itunes, it sends one file per User, so the USB1.1 on the Asus will be the limitation. If it sends only real-time data with less then 200kbit as i think, you can still serve around 4 users...

Greets

WlanMan
19-01-2005, 01:21
OK

Shoutcast is in the Works.
I think its ready until weekend.
Anyone still left who need this ?? :D

Greets

Antiloop
19-01-2005, 02:02
OK

Shoutcast is in the Works.
I think its ready until weekend.
Anyone still left who need this ?? :D

Greets
I would like a shoutcaster who plays stuff which resides on my harddrive ;)

so then I can hookup my A716 and stream mp3's from the wl500g

jbkerner
19-01-2005, 07:39
i would like it too - streaming to my noxon audio player. UPNP Server would be most important to access my mp3 collection on USB Drive. For the NSLU2 there is a twonkyvision server - looks quiet interesting - see twonkeyvision (http://www.twonkyvision.de/)

ciao,
jbk

monnier
21-01-2005, 19:21
I am about to purchase a WL-500g, and was trying to figure out if anyone has gotten it configured as an iTunes server. I've done a search on the site, but haven't come up w/ anything.

Note that instead of setting up a special daemon that talks to iTunes, you can simply get a similar result using nothing but file sharing: basically mount your WL-500g's drive somewhere on your machine via Samba (or NFS if you get that working) and then tell iTunes to look there for files.

It's a bit lower tech, but it works without any extra software.

As for performance, USB-1.1 via the WL-500g through 11b should still be enough to serve a couple songs at the same time without any problem.

Viz_kid
27-01-2005, 10:12
Hi All,

sure we can mount the iTunes folder via smb, but it would be far nice to have the server. Is there anybody out there who does the "simple" cross compile job?

Thanks