PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : network speed

Artus
26-12-2007, 18:13
i just bought a wl500gp router, so far so good. i managed to install oleg's firmware and set up samba, but i can only copy stuff to it with about 2mb/s(through LAN). thats very slooow for me, as i have a 300gb hdd connected to it. it takes forever to copy a dvd image or something big like that. is there a way to speed it up?:confused:
i expected around 7-8mb/s, but this is very disappointing. btw, nice forums;)

newbiefan
26-12-2007, 18:43
i just bought a wl500gp router, so far so good. i managed to install oleg's firmware and set up samba, but i can only copy stuff to it with about 2mb/s........

Well, if I would have a crystal ball.........just kidding
Should be much faster.....
Some questions:
- which firmware version you've used
- I guess, you've used any tutorial, which one
- can you post the output of 'top' before and during copying of large files
- post the output of 'free'

raas
26-12-2007, 19:24
Hi,

i get about 3 ~ 3,5 megabyte/seconde read/write . write to is usally a bit faster than read. (at least my case)

don't expect 8~10 megabyte/second with this box, it's not up to it,

if you've to fill it, better hook it up to the pc.

Artus
26-12-2007, 19:43
i installed the firmware 1.9.2.7-8 by oleg
i used this tutorial: [How To] Install and Configure Olegs firmware (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10307) from that i installed the ssh-daemon, set up the usb drive with 3 partitions, installed ipkg and with that samba. i've done everything as written there.

free:

[admin@(none) root]$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 30084 29056 1028 0 1832 18524
-/+ buffers/cache: 8700 21384
Swap: 530104 2484 527620

top before copying:

http://lim0nade.high-end.hu/pic/top_before.jpg

top during copying:

http://lim0nade.high-end.hu/pic/top_during.jpg

smbd used 50-70% cpu

there are some other stuff installed for rtorrent as written here:
[How to] rtorrent & ntorrent (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12110)
but that doesn't work for me yet.

newbiefan
26-12-2007, 22:25
Well as I see, smbd is running twice- no 3 times!, this slows down your connection dramatically.
Maybe you havn't disabled samba demo mode.
As raas mentioned you can expect 3 maybe 3,5 Megabyte/second - in my opinion this is a very good value for such a cheap device.
My NAS is running with about 2,8 MB/s and between 2 windows pc's it max out at 7,5 MB/s.
Maybe a good choice would be a gigabit network, it would allow you to be 10 times faster.
But anyhow, disable the second smbd service - ahh and nmbd is not running, so you can't see the router in your network.
Edit: nmbd is running......

EddieZ
30-12-2007, 22:21
FYI, I get 6.1 mb/s to my NDAS device.

raas
31-12-2007, 15:13

NDAS? is that a device or an setting in the Asus.. if so, could you please share a how-to ?

TIA.

matisha
19-02-2008, 13:14

hey. could you explain me, how can i connect my NDAs Device to my Wl500gp.

I have problems with my W-lan when i connecting my NDAS. My Router is Hanging up or loosing connection

wpte
24-02-2008, 20:04
the speed depends on the harddisk...
I get my full speed out of my disk, 35mbit...
When you are using cheapo small hdd they will be slower (usually)
a USB harddisk is not really made to be superb fast:p
I would love to have 190mbit on it, just like my 2 raptors in raid 0:)

newbiefan
24-02-2008, 20:27
the speed depends on the harddisk...
I get my full speed out of my disk, 35mbit...
When you are using cheapo small hdd they will be slower (usually)
a USB harddisk is not really made to be superb fast:p
I would love to have 190mbit on it, just like my 2 raptors in raid 0:)

Well, it's much faster when connecting to a pc.
But it is easy to measure your network speed between asus and any pc:
On your Router console perform 'ipkg install iperf'
and download iperf for your windows machine (google for iperf, it's freeware).
Start iperf in a dos windows with 'iperf -s'
and on your router with 'iperf -c'
after 10 seconds your get your real network speed, which has nothing to do with your hdd speed.
When you wanna measure your hdd speed:
'hdparm -tT /dev/discs/disc0/part3'
Adjust the partition to your harddisk (part3)

You will be surprized.......

raas
25-02-2008, 13:10
I have to stick with newbiefan's opinion on this one,

cheap/old harddrives are not responsible for 'slow' transfer speeds on this device.. It's internal chip is...
(even a very old harddisk will outperform the internal chip)

Although.. my own experiences keep getting faster and faster.

with samba the transfer speeds were fluctuating between 3 and 3,5 mbytes/s with sometimes a spike to 3,8 mbyte/s

now, with vsftpd I can get speeds which is stable on 3,9 mbyte/s, with some spikes to 4,1 mbyte/s :)

(measurements where done with the use of DUMeter, not iperf)

wpte
25-02-2008, 15:37
I did that top thing to, and mine is about the same cpu usage (55% average).
I still think it must be the hdd...
You say it works faster on your pc, so maybe the hdd is not fully compatible with the router?

the way to find the problem is to test the variables;)
so, is it possible to test a different USB disk and test the speed?

Also, don't trust on usb too mutch, it's still not complete, it has a lot of malfunctions in my opinion. like my mouse and keyboard: logitech G9 and Logitech G15. I totally love the accuracy of the mouse, but even with a good dual core processor, the usb stream breaks up for a few mili seconds and you get yourself a slow pointer. Also with the keyboard, first you are running (in game of course), next thing you know is you stop, another USB malfunction, wait a sec and you start running again.. To be honest, I never saw that on a cheap PS/2 mouse or keyboard.

So if the disk isn't the problem, you take a good look at the software, maybe try the image of raas (works good:)). If that is neither the problem, consider to send your router back for a new one. it happend to my WL-500gP with the firewall and port forwarding, they just stopped working, now I have a WL-500w and it all works perfect:D

newbiefan
25-02-2008, 19:07
I did that top thing to, and mine is about the same cpu usage (55% average).
I still think it must be the hdd...
You say it works faster on your pc, so maybe the hdd is not fully compatible with the router?

the way to find the problem is to test the variables;)
so, is it possible to test a different USB disk and test the speed?

Also, don't trust on usb too mutch, it's still not complete, it has a lot of malfunctions in my opinion. like my mouse and keyboard: logitech G9 and Logitech G15. I totally love the accuracy of the mouse, but even with a good dual core processor, the usb stream breaks up for a few mili seconds and you get yourself a slow pointer. Also with the keyboard, first you are running (in game of course), next thing you know is you stop, another USB malfunction, wait a sec and you start running again.. To be honest, I never saw that on a cheap PS/2 mouse or keyboard.

So if the disk isn't the problem, you take a good look at the software, maybe try the image of raas (works good:)). If that is neither the problem, consider to send your router back for a new one. it happend to my WL-500gP with the firewall and port forwarding, they just stopped working, now I have a WL-500w and it all works perfect:D

Well, I own a bunch of different HDDs, it's always exactly the same - when connected to pc they are much faster as when connected to router, independent of file-system. And with expensive or cheap HDDs (and housing), I get alway the same speed when connected to asus.
Regarding USB and your mouse/keyboard, I bet you mix something up - usually on any pc the drivers and corresponding interrupts are responsible for speed and continuous, uninterrupted movements of mouse, the USB interface is a way faster as any mouse and/or keyboard. Just transfer a file to a connected USB-HDD and do an estimation of the transfer speed - then you will see soon, that any mouse-movement is just nothing in comparision. On pc's it's always a question of driver - and on our asus routers any hdd outperforms our router (as raas mentioned). It has nothing to do with drivers in our firmware, it's much more a question of cpu-power. You can overclock your router in order to get some percent more of usb-speed (but be careful!!!).
Anyhow, what do you expect of a 70,- bucks device?
Have for instance a closer look for a nslu2-device - it's the same story......
So that is what I know: it's just our router, a faster transfer can be expected, when hdd is connected via an IDE interface, provided that the cpu can handle it.
USB-hdd's with 2,5" and 3,5" are a bit different....