Changelog:

an ATTEMPT to fix the following issues:
1. WebCam die
2. WAN die
3. Time Server
4. DDNS
5. Add Bandwidth Management.

important!!

When upgrading from 1.7.x.x based firmware: you MUST Reset your WL500g to defaults via the restore button at the back after upgrading to this firmware!

you do not have to do this when you upgrade from 1.8.x.x based firmware!
but we RECOMMEND you to do a restore to defaults.

Do not import saved settings from older/other firmwares! this can cause unstability to your device

find files here:
http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-500g-03/WL500g_1824_EN.zip
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-500g-03/WL500g_1824_EN.zip
http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-500g-03/WL500g_1824_EN.zip
http://www.asus.com.cn/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-500g-03/WL500g_1824_EN.zip

Mirror @ Chupa.nl
http://www.chupa.nl/beta/firmware.php?fid=22

PXP52
02-11-2004, 14:53
Hi Antiloop,

the posted link does not work !
Pleas can you fix it :-)

Thanks

Dirk

Antiloop
02-11-2004, 14:59
Hi Antiloop,

the posted link does not work !
Pleas can you fix it :-)

Thanks

Dirk

Mirror @ Chupa.nl (not up yet)

PXP52
02-11-2004, 20:51
@Antiloop

Ups :eek:
Sorry :)
I did see that the site is up now ! Thanks

cu

Dirk

Antiloop
02-11-2004, 21:04
@Antiloop

Ups :eek:
Sorry :)
I did see that the site is up now ! Thanks

cu

Dirk
yes indeed..

Webcam is still not fixed :(
anybody else noticed things that are not working?

Antiloop
03-11-2004, 08:30
document from Asus on how to setup Bandwidth Management

if someone wants to verify it, please.

PXP52
03-11-2004, 12:31
@Antiloop

Thanks for the document from Asus about the Bandwidth Management.
This helps me a lot.

anybody else noticed things that are not working?

I will update my Router at the weekend !
Than i will test the firmware and the Bandwidth Management.

cu

Dirk

Antiloop
03-11-2004, 12:44
for the ones suffering problems with their WAN port, please try this firmware

I have tested this firmware succesfully transfering 10gigabyte of data over FTP with speed varying between 1,5mb/sec and 2,5mb/sec and it did NOT DIE!!

Spot
03-11-2004, 13:27
My own experience since yesterday:

Enabling NTP and DynDNS update simultaneusly works fine!
But cam issue is not resolved (tested with logitech quickcam pro 4000)...

Not tested yet: Bandwidth Management.

geoffreytw
03-11-2004, 18:33
(1) WAN port did not die on me, works fine (like V9.8.2.1)
(2) Bandwidth Management did not work - I only tested the uploading policy part.
(3) Kbps should really mean Kilo bit per second, the document and the UI is quite confusing in bit/byte.... I assume for telecomm we should all talk about bit rather than byte?

Spot
04-11-2004, 10:17
My own experience since yesterday:

Enabling NTP and DynDNS update simultaneusly works fine!
But cam issue is not resolved (tested with logitech quickcam pro 4000)...

Not tested yet: Bandwidth Management.

For bandwith test, I've forced the upload limit of my p2p client config pannel to 10kbps.
And set the upload limit managed by wl500g to lower values:

> port 4662 (TCP) / 5 kbps max / 2 kbps min
> port 4672 (UDP) / 5 kbps max / 2 kbps min

It does'nt seem to work... stat report of my p2p is 10kbps!

But I don't even know if this is the right way to test bandwith fonctionality :rolleyes:

Antiloop
04-11-2004, 11:16
For bandwith test, I've forced the upload limit of my p2p client config pannel to 10kbps.
And set the upload limit managed by wl500g to lower values:

> port 4662 (TCP) / 5 kbps max / 2 kbps min
> port 4672 (UDP) / 5 kbps max / 2 kbps min

It does'nt seem to work... stat report of my p2p is 10kbps!

But I don't even know if this is the right way to test bandwith fonctionality :rolleyes:
dunno

i'll try this tonight, it's hooked up internally so i have full speed to test

Tomekk
04-11-2004, 11:41
I have test all web interface functions in this firmware. And i detect this bugs:

-Ip Config --> Manually Assigned IP List --> Doesn't work
- Bandwidth Management --> Doesn't work

Bandwidth M Test:
I read the .txt file here explaining how to use this new function but... i test all examples and its not working at all. Maybe the final version will work.

Manually Assigned IP List:
- Im detecting this problem since 1.7.x versions.
- The only way to have a manual assigned ip is to configure your connection settings. And this option is the only sugested in WL-500g Manual.

Styno
04-11-2004, 13:00
It's a pitty Asus emphasises on managing download streams. For most xDSL and Cable modems the shaping of the upload bandwith is much more effective. Also, the Asus method does not give the user control over protocols other then TCP.

I know that QoS is a complex area and to simpify all possible settings in order to let 'noob' users use the power of QoS is not an easy task. But I hope Asus will provide means to control the upload and other protocols in future firmwares.

I hope Asus reads this :)

Further reading:
Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control @ http://www.lartc.org/
Chupa's Wondershaper QoS discussion @ http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752

jbrbv
04-11-2004, 22:57
Lately i can not use WPA-PSK with AES anymore to connect my Sweex 11 Mbit PCI card (Realtek RTL8180 chip) to the WL-500G with the latest firmware's. I'm using now 1.8.2.4, but ever since 1.7.x.x (including Oleg's 1.8.1.7-2) i have this problem.
I'm using WPA-PSK with TKIP now, thanks to the possibility of the latest firmware's to use TKIP+AES, but would like to use AES on my Realtek again.

kiboko
05-11-2004, 00:15
With this fw wl500g wan port is unable to obtain the modem's ip, it dies frequently. :(

The same thing happens with the 1.8.1.9 fw. :(

what should i do?

Tomekk
05-11-2004, 01:59
Im using Siemens Gigaset PCI Card 54 and i test WPA-PSK/ TKIP, WPA-PSK/AES and WPA-PSK/TKIP+AES and its all working in this firmware.

I also have WPA-PSK/TKIP , WPA-PSK/TKIP+AES working in Mac powerbook G4 802.11g cards and Asus notebook A2000H series 802.11b cards.
You should check if your card is compatible with AES only a few cards have this function.

kiboko you should try to resolve the problem by using one of these solution here:

Anyways in AntiLoop 1st post:

an ATTEMPT to fix the following issues:
1. WebCam die
2. WAN die
3. Time Server
4. DDNS
5. Add Bandwidth Management.

Antiloop
05-11-2004, 08:28
With this fw wl500g wan port is unable to obtain the modem's ip, it dies frequently. :(

The same thing happens with the 1.8.1.9 fw. :(

what should i do?
so with what firmware does it work OK then for you?

did you reset to defaults too first?

kiboko
05-11-2004, 18:37
yes, I reseted the router.

now I'm using the 9.8.2.1 fw and the router is stable.

My home network:
toshiba satellite with Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card 11b
Asus M6 with intel pro 2200b/g
toshiba satellite with Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card 11b
2 pc with builtin lan connected by cable.
modem dlink dcm200

With the 1.8.1.9 fw the lan ports don't work with straight cable, don't know why.

for now my problem is solved.

thx all

kjetil
05-11-2004, 19:35
I cannot download 1.8.2.4 from the link spesified.

Removed the file?

edit: tried the link on a machine which didn't have norton firewall installed and got the file!

jbrbv
06-11-2004, 00:17
I tried the combinations of the WL-500G (fw 1.8.2.4 beta) and an Centrino with Intel 2200BG v8.1.0.28 driver and Intel Proset utility

The WL-500G is in AP mode with WPA-PSK/TKIP+AES only.
The intel with WPA-PSK/TKIP cannot connect
The intel with WPA-PSK/AES can connect
Ipaq 5550 with WPA-PSK/TKIP cannot connect

The WL-500G is in AP mode with WPA-PSK/TKIP only.
The intel with WPA-PSK/TKIP can connect
Ipaq 5550 with WPA-PSK/TKIP can connect

The WL-500G is in AP mode with WPA-PSK/AES only.
The intel with WPA-PSK/AES can connect

Same results as with fw 1.8.1.7-2a.

Wesleyrpg
06-11-2004, 10:21
will this firmware work with the bigpond 'heartbeat' in its current form, or do i have to wait for it to be modified, like 1.8.1.7-2a???

Thanks

Antiloop
07-11-2004, 00:56
will this firmware work with the bigpond 'heartbeat' in its current form, or do i have to wait for it to be modified, like 1.8.1.7-2a???

Thanks

please try.. it's beta

jbrbv
07-11-2004, 22:52
I tried the combinations of the WL-500G (fw 1.8.2.4 beta) and an Centrino with Intel 2200BG v8.1.0.28 driver and Intel Proset utility

I've posted here results of tests. Does it help if i put them here or should i put them directly to ASUS? If so, what is the email address?

Antiloop
07-11-2004, 23:28
I've posted here results of tests. Does it help if i put them here or should i put them directly to ASUS? If so, what is the email address?
you can place them here, if it helps? dunno, and the email addresses are somewhere on the asus site. I don't have them.

Antiloop
08-11-2004, 01:12
I've found some time to test Bandwidth management

Settings download rules as:
IP Port Max Min
192.168.1.2 empty 500 100
empty empty 100 50
empty 80 50 20

Settings upload rules as:
Port Max Min
21 10 5
empty 50 10

192.168.1.2 does download with 500kilobyte/sec from FTP(port 21)
192.168.1.2 does download with 100kilobyte/sec from HTTP(port 80)
192.168.1.2 does upload with 50kb/sec to FTP(port 21)

192.168.1.10 does download with 100kilobyte/sec from FTP(port 21)
192.168.1.10 does download with 50kilobyte/sec from HTTP(port 80)
192.168.1.10 does upload with 50kilobyte/sec to FTP(port 21)

So it seems uploading stuff does not work correctly
Also some rules override eachother..

Wesleyrpg
08-11-2004, 04:56
please try.. it's beta

ok...i've had a bit of a fiddle with this new firmware and i like it, but it still has issues with the bigpond 'heartbeat'. The only way i could get it to connect was to enter the 'heartbeat' ip address manually. Once it's connected though it's fine, and doesn't drop out.

The only other grip is it doesn't detect the time properly here in melbourne, it's am hour off for some reason, that may be related to daylight savings.

i definately prefer 1.8.1.7-2a, but will stick with this version for the next few days, to see what its like. Oh and my Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro works just fine on this firmware, i was reading elsewhere that this cam didn't work with the router.

Antiloop
08-11-2004, 07:48
ok...i've had a bit of a fiddle with this new firmware and i like it, but it still has issues with the bigpond 'heartbeat'. The only way i could get it to connect was to enter the 'heartbeat' ip address manually. Once it's connected though it's fine, and doesn't drop out.

The only other grip is it doesn't detect the time properly here in melbourne, it's am hour off for some reason, that may be related to daylight savings.

i definately prefer 1.8.1.7-2a, but will stick with this version for the next few days, to see what its like. Oh and my Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro works just fine on this firmware, i was reading elsewhere that this cam didn't work with the router.
I am not familair with bigpond so I can not test it or suggest things to Asus (which fucking provider is using such horrible stuff??)

and about the Webcam this is possible yes, the firmware has PWC 8.11 instead of PWC 8.8 (yes webpages still state this) so that's perhaps why..

i-beast-a
08-11-2004, 19:55
Can anyone give some kind of prediction when this version will be officially published by ASUS??

What kind of timeframe does asus use for beta-testing with changes like this???

Any indication?

bumper
09-11-2004, 10:46
So far so good, after upgrading to this firmware last thursday, my wan-port hasn't died on my since (it did with prior 1.8 versions once a day on average) If I hit the one week mark (would be record for the past 4 months), I'll start playing with challenging settings such as dhcp etc. again :cool: , but let's wait for that...

smallkeung
13-11-2004, 15:26
the 1.8.2.4 beta seems fix the Wan port die issue... I test 2 weeks. Wan Port die seems fix.... very good...

Horse
15-11-2004, 09:40

Wesleyrpg:

Has this version continued to run OK for you on Bigpond?
I had troubles with it and the heartbeat so went back to version 1.7.5.9-5, but can't stand it.
Does your IP drop everyday or so? If not please let me know what you have done to keep it going. I have entered the NSW heartbeat server address but it still drops.

i-beast-a
15-11-2004, 21:56
Hi all,

I use Firmware v1.8.2.4 BETA and everything seems fine.
I reseted all settings so I made a real fresh start.

But now I have one problem. The laptop with wireless can not see the rest of the computers which are hard-wired. Ofcourse all computers are in the same work-group.
The laptop can go on the internet and ping the other computers.
But in windows the laptop can not see the others.
Nothing else changed, except the firmware.

Any sugestions?????? please help!!!

Thorz
15-11-2004, 23:40
I have been testing this firmware for 2 days. It appears that the WAN port die issue is corrected, but there is another issue that is as irritating as that one: Check your logs for dead activity periods. I download and upload constantly using bittorrent and I can see dead valleys in my logs. This has been described here before as "router rebooting" issue by Antiloop. I have been advised to turn off the router and disconnect everything for 15 minutes and restart it again. Yes it use to help but the problem is back always after 1 or 2 days of constant activity. Until now nobody has explain me what ocassionates this problem.

Antiloop
16-11-2004, 10:55
I have been testing this firmware for 2 days. It appears that the WAN port die issue is corrected, but there is another issue that is as irritating as that one: Check your logs for dead activity periods. I download and upload constantly using bittorrent and I can see dead valleys in my logs. This has been described here before as "router rebooting" issue by Antiloop. I have been advised to turn off the router and disconnect everything for 15 minutes and restart it again. Yes it use to help but the problem is back always after 1 or 2 days of constant activity. Until now nobody has explain me what ocassionates this problem.
please explain a bit more.. (with graphs or something)
and is this wireless or wired

Wesleyrpg
16-11-2004, 18:04
This version of firmware is ok but still it isn't great with the heartbeat server, it seems to boot me off once a day or so.

The most luck i've had with keeping Bigpond alive is with the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-2a, i didn't need to enter any Heartbeat server address and for the most part it stayed online for days at a time.

I'm going to try the new custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 to see how good it is...i'll post once i've tested it after a few days and let you know how good it is!

Wesleyrpg:

Has this version continued to run OK for you on Bigpond?
I had troubles with it and the heartbeat so went back to version 1.7.5.9-5, but can't stand it.
Does your IP drop everyday or so? If not please let me know what you have done to keep it going. I have entered the NSW heartbeat server address but it still drops.

Thorz
16-11-2004, 18:38
please explain a bit more.. (with graphs or something)
and is this wireless or wired

It doesn't matter if I am onb wired or wireless, I am on wired must of the time when I use bittorrent (Azureus). I start some downloads and start also Task manager for monitoring the network connection. Everything is fine but at some point I start to get dead spots in the activity log of the "networking monitor" in task manager, these are easy to see because the graphs shows 0 activity during some seconds. After some seconds the activity comes to normal again. When it starts it use to be intermitent, the dead mini-periods come back at random intervals but doesn't dissapear until I turn off the router and let it be off for some time (15-30 minutes) as you told me to do in a previous post.

Wesleyrpg
16-11-2004, 18:39
Just wanted to add a quick note, i couldn't get 1.8.1.7-3 to work at all with the heartbeat, in fact it wouldn't connect at all. Horse the best fiirmware so far for good heartbeat support is 1.8.1.7-2a. works like a charm

This version of firmware is ok but still it isn't great with the heartbeat server, it seems to boot me off once a day or so.

The most luck i've had with keeping Bigpond alive is with the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-2a, i didn't need to enter any Heartbeat server address and for the most part it stayed online for days at a time.

I'm going to try the new custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 to see how good it is...i'll post once i've tested it after a few days and let you know how good it is!

Horse
17-11-2004, 09:02
Wesleyrpg I have tried that version and it was not stable for me. The only completely reliable firmware I have found for use with Bigpond is 1.7.5.9-5 (thanks to rwhitby). The problem I have with that version is I can't get the webcam to work. And that's my goal - online all the time with the Webcan running with the security mode.

Not too much to ask, hey ASUS? I hope they fix 1.8 for Bigpond soon. :mad:

P.S. for all those wondering, Bigpond is the an ISP in Australia.

Wesleyrpg
18-11-2004, 21:41
Horse, try the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 its works great with the heartbeat, i been up and running stably with this firmware for 18 hours now

oh and you should have the webcam support that you need

gnf.pt
27-11-2004, 09:50
Hello,

I don't know if anyone noticed this before but the 'connect/disconnect' buttons available under 'status & log -> Wireless ' don't work correctly.

They do turn on/off the wifi interface but once you disable and reenable the wireless interface using this buttons it won't be possible to connect any device until rebooting the router.

This is most annoying!

I'm attaching a screenshot showing the buttons i'm refering to.

Thx
~/gnf.pt

rwhitby
28-11-2004, 04:27
The only completely reliable firmware I have found for use with Bigpond is 1.7.5.9-5 (thanks to rwhitby).

Horse,

Yeah, that's the version I still run. I tried to fix 1.8.x to be as stable, but Asus have completely changed the software internals all around, and I couldn't easily work out how to make it as stable as 1.7.5.9-5 (which is rock solid for *months* on end for me). So I'm sticking with 1.7.5.9-5 for the time being ...

-- Rod

rwhitby
28-11-2004, 04:30
Horse, try the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 its works great with the heartbeat, i been up and running stably with this firmware for 18 hours now

oh and you should have the webcam support that you need

Wesleyrpg,

Glad that version is working for you. It's a reasonable attempt at BigPond support (if you don't require 24x7x365 uptime). It would drop out at least once or twice a week for me, so I dumped it and reinstalled the last custom 1.7 version (which is *rock* solid - nothing can make it stay disconnected other than a continuous BigPond outage).

-- Rod

mojo
30-11-2004, 14:51
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, anyway: will there be a firmware version with WAN die fixed AND samba/telnet/etc. support?

Styno
30-11-2004, 15:03
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, anyway: will there be a firmware version with WAN die fixed AND samba/telnet/etc. support?
No, but if you use v.1.8.1.7-3 from Oleg, you can try to fix the WAN die problem using a fixed port speed. Search to forum for that.

mojo
01-12-2004, 04:03
Fixing the speed doesn't solve the problem, unfortunately.

So currently I'd have to choose between fixed WAN port or Samba etc.

Will this change in the future. i.e. will the WAN fixes be incorporated into the samba etc. firmware?

Styno
01-12-2004, 08:17
Well, I ain't Asus nor Oleg but if Asus thinks they fixed the WAN die issue with this BETA firmware, they will incorporate the patch to all their new firmwares which Oleg will use for his custom firmwares. So in short: yes.

whao
02-12-2004, 08:53
They do turn on/off the wifi interface but once you disable and reenable the wireless interface using this buttons it won't be possible to connect any device until rebooting the router.

I noticed this on my fw 1.8.2.0 on WL500gd. At first, I would like the wireless off when boot and only turn it on if needed. However, it couldn't be done because of this bug. I've tried "wl radio on" and "wl radio off" but no luck.

By running wl status, I found that the "Enable" button on the web admin only enable the radio without "loading" the "profile" setup in the "Wireless - Interface" page. If radio is not enable when the router boot up, the wireless profile will not be loaded. Though You may write a script to use wl options to setup the profile after bootup.

I wonder if I could install this firmware or those custom firmware to WL500gd though, anyone?

Airblade
03-12-2004, 09:43
In that firmware release WAN port DIE problem is no more a issue. It work for me, so is that fixed only on my AP or is on yours as well?
I see on forum that it is not fixed on all WL-500g's. I use ADSL connection.

xtraya
06-12-2004, 02:44
wan die-ing is stil in this beta release, but fixing only works with some units

i tryed to connect 2 asus 500g over wan, and set it to auto mode... but it died within 15 minutes of 2 MB/s

then i fixed rate to 100 full duplex and started mas download action.... after i-dont-know-how-much movies,mass small files,and enormous HL2 gaming it did not died....

on the other hand,one G unit in my network, connected on WAN do not accept any kind of speed fixing, just an AUTO mode, and goes 2,3 MB/s

you must try LAN units,just some works , some not.... but asus goes on...

NIGHTCD
07-12-2004, 09:33
:confused: Anyone have problems with the virtual server?

i have specified some ports in the virtual server settings.
all seems ok. but after a while the virtual server seems to stop routing the ports to the pc.

i have also seen that the dhcp i changing ip adress on my machine no and then.. ip adress lease is sett to 84000+ sec (i have not touched the original settings) is there some fix for this?

NIGHTCD :confused:

Styno
07-12-2004, 09:50
:confused: Anyone have problems with the virtual server?

i have specified some ports in the virtual server settings.
all seems ok. but after a while the virtual server seems to stop routing the ports to the pc.

i have also seen that the dhcp i changing ip adress on my machine no and then.. ip adress lease is sett to 84000+ sec (i have not touched the original settings) is there some fix for this?

NIGHTCD :confused:
If you're having a server in your LAN which should be accessable from WAN I suggest you give it a static IP address.

dikko
07-12-2004, 23:59
I have tried 4 diffrent cards which only 2 off them seem to work stabile with
Firmware v1.8.2.4 BETA. the cards which works are the edimax 54 G card an in my notebook the linksys pcmcia wireless G card. They doen't disconnect and reconnect every 5 minutes. The asus WL100G and the linksys wireless 54 G usb disconnect and reconnect every time. Is this fimware very diffrent from the other firmwares? :confused:

Antiloop
08-12-2004, 00:30
Firmware v1.8.2.4 BETA. the cards which works are the edimax 54 G card an in my notebook the linksys pcmcia wireless G card. They doen't disconnect and reconnect every 5 minutes. The asus WL100G and the linksys wireless 54 G usb disconnect and reconnect every time. Is this fimware very diffrent from the other firmwares? :confused:
no this must be an misconfiguration at your side

i'm using with success more than a year the WL100g every day, also with the 1.8.2.4 firmware

be sure to reset router to defaults first, and do not use saved configuration as your router will behave exact the same again

pekr
25-12-2004, 01:13

I have recently came to the similar 'bug' when I've bought a new WL500g, I've put there 1.7.5.9-5 FW (as usual) and load an old settings from previous unit which has the same FW version.
After that all clients saw signal level jumping in the 20dB range each second. Those with lower signal level keeps disconecting all the time.
Restoring to factory defaults (by web interface) and doing manual settings solved the problem completely.

Still wonder what's the difference in the settings file between old and new unit because FW version was the same inside both of them.

Another strange thing - new unit doesn't work at channels 12 and 13. I can easily set these channels in the menu but WL500g will transmit on channel 1 after reboot. Channel settings in the menu still list number 12 or 13, but the wireless status box shows ch. 1 and the radio is talking at ch. 1.
Other channels seem to be OK.
Again FW version is 1.7.5.9-5 which works for me at ch 12 or 13 in older units.

int
16-01-2005, 13:50
Oleg

In this version, the reset bug are not present!

Bug in Manually Assigned IP List

AmoRico
30-01-2005, 10:17
Hey! I have a question regarding WL-500g firmware. Is it OK, to use it on WL-500b? Would it work properly? Of course not talking about the '54g'. Thanks for an reply...

Tomekk
30-01-2005, 17:44
Well this firmware Beta version... for me its just the best firmware released since today. Because?? its simple...

1º I dont have WAN PORT die problem.

2º I dont have Reset Bug.

3º All freatures are working fine (except some freatures that doesn't work since the first firmwares)

The second best firmware for me its the new 1.9.2.8 ... but there is a problem too. And the problem its same that many ppl reported in this forum. After i connect via WLAN with the Asus 2500H Noteboook the WLAN start to not function with wireleess cards like Siemens and other that are in MAC PowerBooks etc.. I wonder why....... Well i hope the problem will be fixed someday. ( I think the problem its in WMM freature buts its just a opinion ).

Another problems that i have since the first firmwares... including the one that came with my WL500g when i bought are:

1st Manually Assigned IP List freature doesnt work for me.. i dont know how to use it proprely or its a bug.

2nd The speed in WLAN its very slow and its not like the LAN mode. First off all, in WLAN i have much more latency and its not very stable. In LAN its very stable and i have a good latency between the WL500g. Its something like.... WLAN-->WL500g i have 1ping and between LAN-->WL500g i have <1ping. Another point in speed, i have 4mbits internet connection ADSL PPPOE like in my country all adsl pppoe connections have something like ~16% bandwith loss. So in LAN side i can get download arround 430kbytes/s .. you can consider normal. Well in WLAN side u can get only arround 419~420kbytes/s. Well or i dont configure my router propely or there is some problem i think.

So i have seen this 2 problems in all Asus Firmware since versions 1.6.x ( the version that came with my WL500g). If someone knows a firmware with no problems or know how to solve, just reply something lol. Ok if you not consider this 2 main problems well.... the firmware that works for me with no problems its the 1.8.2.4 Beta. Its beta right??? For me its the more stable and most bugless i found. Strange isn't it?.

PS: Sorry my bad english i hope u understand it :D :D

int
30-01-2005, 17:57
The fw that I use are v.1.8.1.7-3 Oleg! and for me it's the best!!
Dont have any bug (that i can found)

Antiloop
30-01-2005, 23:27
Hey! I have a question regarding WL-500g firmware. Is it OK, to use it on WL-500b? Would it work properly? Of course not talking about the '54g'. Thanks for an reply...
yes it should work, but you have to upload it using Firmware Restoration tools

nicd
19-05-2005, 16:43
Hi, does anyone have a link to this firmware? None of the links here work...

I hear a lot of good things about this firmware, would like to try it.

Thanks.

Antiloop
20-05-2005, 08:53
Hi, does anyone have a link to this firmware? None of the links here work...

I hear a lot of good things about this firmware, would like to try it.

Thanks.
use this url in meantime

http://www.chupa.nl/beta/firmware.php?fid=22 (will change in the future)

rolfneumann2
20-05-2005, 16:30
Hi There,

I think your p2p client (I guess you are using emule) still uploads with 10k because it is using other ports for transmitting the actual data.
As far as I know Emule uses ports around 3000 and up to transmit data chunks to other users.

Greets,
rolfneumann2

jibo
22-05-2005, 13:18
good work thx !

just one question i'am stuck @650kbytes/s since i've installed
this FW, maybe i must force some 100full mode or something
on the router ? (auto mode atm)

my ethernet card is 100 half or full

jibo
22-05-2005, 17:58
everything is fine now, good driver

note about random dead WAN port : when there is a conflict during
boot with a bad usb key for exemple, router is not completely set up
and wan port is not properly initialized.

nicd
04-06-2005, 20:04
use this url in meantime

http://www.chupa.nl/beta/firmware.php?fid=22 (will change in the future)

Thanks Antiloop.