PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to setup a development and test environment ?

sk_lionheart
30-10-2004, 19:25
Hello,
I'm a french programmer that knows a lot of languages and OS.
I'm not familiar with embeded Linux Based OS, but I would like to help in developing firmwares. I have a WL500g and I would like to add new custom features.
Could someone explain me how to setup a development environment and a testing environment in order to develop a custom version of the WL500g firmware ?
I got the GPL source code from the ASUS site, but I don't know how to start using it.
Thank you if someone can make a quick tuto bout it !

hugo
30-10-2004, 22:09
Well, for the tutorial, just read oleg's page. go to this (http://wl500g.dyndns.org) page, and read the end of it.

You will need a Linux environment. I've been successfull using fedora core 2 (download it from the net.)

Just install it normally , and use the root folder to uncompress the source (you will have /root/broadcom/....)

It will help. You will find a readme in the source. You have to do what is written in it: setup your path environment by adding the 2 folders (using export PATH=$PATH:/folders to add1:/folder2)
and don't forget to create the link (described in the readme)

Follow oleg's page step by step and you should have your firmware file ready to get flashed

Bon courage

phedny
23-11-2004, 14:14
I've got a development environment up and running on my system and I even compiled some firmwares. However, when uploading to the AP it seems to reject the files somehow. My guess is that there is some kind of version checking, but I don't know what versions are checked.

Also I can't get the custom firmware back after I've upgraded to ASUS firmware 1.8.1.9 (for testing whether firmware upgrade works at all). Might be the result of this version checking thing.

Anyway, what configuration should I change to make the AP think my firmwares are newer.

Antiloop
23-11-2004, 14:17
I've got a development environment up and running on my system and I even compiled some firmwares. However, when uploading to the AP it seems to reject the files somehow. My guess is that there is some kind of version checking, but I don't know what versions are checked.

Also I can't get the custom firmware back after I've upgraded to ASUS firmware 1.8.1.9 (for testing whether firmware upgrade works at all). Might be the result of this version checking thing.

Anyway, what configuration should I change to make the AP think my firmwares are newer.
reading the manual or use the search ;)

thus do a firmware recovery and whoila it doesn't check for versions or whatever :rolleyes:

phedny
23-11-2004, 14:44
I found this about it:

1. Start the ASUS firmware restoration utility (it's on the install CD)
2. Browse for the firmware you want to recover. Don not press upload yet.
3. Press and hold the hardware resetbutton on the back of your 500g (see manual if you can't find it) till the power light starts blinking.
4. now press upload and wait....
5. Log on as admin/admin and first restore default settings.
6. Done.

Well, the restoration tool seems to be sending te file, but when it says it's waiting for reboot, the LED blinks again.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to add these steps to the http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ page ;)

Antiloop
23-11-2004, 15:25
I found this about it:

1. Start the ASUS firmware restoration utility (it's on the install CD)
2. Browse for the firmware you want to recover. Don not press upload yet.
3. Press and hold the hardware resetbutton on the back of your 500g (see manual if you can't find it) till the power light starts blinking.
4. now press upload and wait....
5. Log on as admin/admin and first restore default settings.
6. Done.

Well, the restoration tool seems to be sending te file, but when it says it's waiting for reboot, the LED blinks again.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to add these steps to the http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ page ;)
ignore step 3

do this instead:

Power OFF WL500g
press and HOLD restore button
Power ON WL500g
wait until power led begins to flash
release restore button