PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-500g and OpenEmbedded

CoreDump
30-10-2004, 18:10
Hi all!

I've recently purchased a WL-500g. Partly because i'm somewhat a
Asus fanboy but mainly because it's running my favorite operation system
and is quiet hackable :)

This forum is a great ressource and i want to express my gratitude for the developers of custom ROMs and all those offering help here at the forum!

I also own a Zaurus 5500 PDA (which, of course, runs Linux ;) ) and am helping the devs of Opie / OpenZaurus / GPE with future releases by trying to improve the current build-system (openembedded.org).

The OpenEmbedded (OE) build-system is an environment for (cross-)compiling embedded software. Once configured, it is easy as cake
to build software for the desired device without having to worry about cross-compiling. OE does all that for you. You don't even need to speak C/C++ at all to use this system.

There are currently 1864 packages in OE which can be compiled for mips/arm/x86 without any further configuration.

I have noticed that someone added support for the Linksys WRT54g router to OE and i'm wondering if one of the devs here is interested in adding support for the Asus WL-500G. I'd gladly do it myself, but i don't speak C which would be required to initially setup the configuration (ie applying patches to the kernel, adding a configuration for a WL-500g kernel etc.).

I have successfully built software for the WL-500G with OE using the WRT54 configuration. The only problem here is that OE currently only supports uClibc 0.9.26. The custom ROM by Oleg (which i'm using) is running 0.9.20 AFAICT. That can cause problems for apps compiled w/ 0.9.26. I failed adding support for uClibs 0.9.20 due to my lacking coding skills...

If one is interested in "getting wet" with OE, you can join the developers
at #oe on irc.freenet.net. The documentation on openembedded.org is a good starting point to get OE up and running.

BTW: I have compiled freeradius for the 500g using the wrt54g configuration. It requires uClib 0.9.26 (it's segfaulting w/ 0.9.20) and
must be installed outside of the flash due to it's size.

The configuration of freeradius is way beyond me or i'm just stupid :)
If someone is interested in freeradius, let me know and i'll upload it.

Anyways, thanks again for this great forum :D

Oleg
30-10-2004, 19:03
Stock wrt54g firmware, as well as wl500g runs with uclibc 0.9.19.
The only thing which use uclibc 0.9.26 is an OpenWrt (www.openwrt.org).
I've no expirience with OpenEmbedded, but it's possible, that OpenEmbedded just build their own firmware, which should be loaded to box with OE apps.
I'm suggesting you to contact the author of wrt54g config. Basically wl500g looks are the same wrtr54g, so it's possible that wrt54g OE stuff will work with minimal modifications.

benlau
02-11-2004, 01:27
It seems to be very interesting , however , when i clicked "Downloads" in your page. It said "The download section will be coming soon. Until then go here to get started." and then i couldn't find any download link in the wiki :(

CoreDump
02-11-2004, 01:40
It seems to be very interesting , however , when i clicked "Downloads" in your page. It said "The download section will be coming soon. Until then go here to get started." and then i couldn't find any download link in the wiki :(

BTW: openembedded.org is not my site. I'm just a normal user :)

Here you'll find everything you need to get OE up and running: GettingStarted (http://openembedded.org/oe_wiki/index.php/GettingStarted)