PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Straight out of the box ---> to a Torrent Download Machine!!!

hypernetics
09-08-2007, 08:55
Hi all, I am currently awaiting on my WL500g Premium (to be delivered in 2 days):D

I have read (and still reading) many guides, tutorials and how-to's.
Including... ASUS firmware/Oleg/ipkg/Transmission/EXT3+swap/and loads of Linux code, and now Im getting confused :confused:

I want to use my new box mainly for downloading Torrents at the fastest speed!!!
Basically... Straight out of the box ---> to a Torrent Download Machine!!!

Can someone please post a simple 1,2,3... step guide of the processes & the order to do them (and maybe some links to relevant posts).
I am happy to do the research, I just dont want to brick my new router in the first week.

Thanks in advance!

bbetoo
10-08-2007, 19:15
Hi all, I am currently awaiting on my WL500g Premium (to be delivered in 2 days):D

I have read (and still reading) many guides, tutorials and how-to's.
Including... ASUS firmware/Oleg/ipkg/Transmission/EXT3+swap/and loads of Linux code, and now Im getting confused :confused:

I want to use my new box mainly for downloading Torrents at the fastest speed!!!
Basically... Straight out of the box ---> to a Torrent Download Machine!!!

Can someone please post a simple 1,2,3... step guide of the processes & the order to do them (and maybe some links to relevant posts).
I am happy to do the research, I just dont want to brick my new router in the first week.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah me too. But this fellas don't even take the time to answer you about configuring your WL500gP explain advantages/disadvatages of flashing your router and manly, HOW IS IT DONE. As far as i'm concerned, to flash with Oleg's firmware you will need to know alot about linux and there is no graphical interface.
For me, to answer the topic, what made this device to work was to downgrade the orignal firmware. My router came with version 1.9.7.4 and I upgraded it to 1.9.7.5 because my external HD was not being recognized. No success... So I downgraded it to 1.9.7.2 and used Download Manager utility 1.1.0.
I hope this works for you but don't expect great speed's. In fact the BT client sucks. All downloads remain in a queue and you can't download more than 3 at the same time. Sometimes it downloads a couple o chunks and that's it.
For example i'm downloading 3 files: 1 - 300 the movie; 2 - Transformers; Blood Diamond. All of them have lots of sources but they don't complete the process. I'm downloading them for 4 days now :confused:

bbetoo

TinyRK
10-08-2007, 21:21
You are using Bittorrent for illegal downloads? :eek:
Shame on you, stupid! :mad:

hypernetics
12-08-2007, 15:44
Thanks for the reply bbetoo, my router has just arrived :) and Ive got a fair few idea's, I will put these into practice and update for anyone's info.
Thanks for the comments & tips and I will definitley keep it in mind.

Check out the number of views and the lack of replies. Firendly community:rolleyes:

As for TinyRK... :D Who said anything about illegal downloads?? and why is this feature intergrated in to this product if it is not to be used??:rolleyes:

Peace:cool:

bbetoo
12-08-2007, 21:33
You are using Bittorrent for illegal downloads? :eek:
Shame on you, stupid! :mad:

Illegal???? Naaaaaaa. Maybe in your country... you gotta be some kind of saint.
Not going to comment the stupid declaration...

bbetoo

jrosado
13-08-2007, 14:14
Follow the wengi (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8424) guide. It will work perfectly. Use babelfish, if you need translantion :cool:

hypernetics
13-08-2007, 14:34
Nice one Jrosado, read earlier that you tried that, and was getting some success.

Also found this guide (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Transmission) that I was thinking of following.

Will read through both. Does the wengi set-up use transmission??
Also once you flash to Oleg's, can you still recovery back to ASUS f/w, if required??

Oyabun
13-08-2007, 16:05
Yes, you can donwngrade anytime back to original FW.

Please bear with the guys. The have probably explained the how-to zillion times. Flashing, upgrades etc. is not that big deal. It is good if you know at least some about linux, but i's not necessary. It will be a nice experience and for the ent you'll know a bit about the fact that there's life even behind the graphical interface. :-)
There are others, but use transmission, with Oleo frontend. He'd done an excellent work. It even has a web interfece what you can use even when not home. Also I have tried other clients as well, but Oleo's transmission uses the less resources on the router while providing best speed compared to others.

The easyest install guide what I have read so far was Moody Blue's here (http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=48593&postcount=42).

You can follow that even with very little linux knowledge, most of it is a copy-paste procedure.

Good luck.

hypernetics
13-08-2007, 16:54
Thanks Oyabun, your comments are very positive... I like that :)
I also found Moody Blues guide and think it will be the way forward for me. (Wengi looks a little bit more complicated for what I need to do at the mo.)

I will give this ago, and post my findings for all other new-comers to the scene.:D

Just one question, the guide use's Oleg 1.9.2.7-7f firmware, but now there is a newer version 1.9.2.7-7g.
Do you think it would be best to use the NEW f/w, or follow the guide and use the OLD'er f/w??:rolleyes:

jrosado
13-08-2007, 20:30
You can use the new firmware and follow the guide for the older one.

wengi guide does has instructions to set up transmission. I followed is guide, since it was the only one that made my transmission work. Only diference is that i'm not using the guide part for samba.

TinyRK
20-08-2007, 22:30
Illegal???? Naaaaaaa. Maybe in your country... you gotta be some kind of saint.
Not going to comment the stupid declaration...

bbetoo

For example i'm downloading 3 files: 1 - 300 the movie; 2 - Transformers; Blood Diamond. All of them have lots of sources but they don't complete the process. I'm downloading them for 4 days now :confused:

bbetoo

'Nuff said! :rolleyes: