PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : New Firmware 1.0.7.8

gratitude182
07-08-2007, 09:00
hi,

asus has released a new official firmware 1.0.7.8 (yes really) for the wl-700ge with the source (300 mb). to find on the asus ftp (ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/wireless/wl-700g).

my box is at the moment on repair... maybe somebody could post the differences and maybe some screenshots (if they have modified it to the 1.0.4.6).

thanks

grat182

iczfirz
07-08-2007, 10:31
expecting KC version as well :D

back2basic
07-08-2007, 18:11
that's great news gonne download that 300mb file

Lolzz checked www.asus.com its not there but on the ftp its there
mm checked the date its released yesterday

Damn ass slow asus ftp :(
300mb avg speed 23 kb ( this may take a while :( )

ffff waiting 5 min no just to get the image, that 300mb file is a nice job for the router overnight

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/134 another link to the original firmware

mmm
1.0.4.6gpl file -- 390 mb
1.0.7.8gpl file -- 300 mb
Let's hope all sources are inside....

back2basic
07-08-2007, 19:04
The web-if looks the same I can't see any changes.
gonne try the download master and let m download the source(300mb file) to see what's changed under the hood of this monster

LeperKing
07-08-2007, 19:17
Is there telnet access by default?

LK

adriaanvn
07-08-2007, 20:04
The problems with the PS3 still exist. After about 40 photos the media server crashed and I have to reboot the brick. So no changes for this problem.:(

back2basic
07-08-2007, 20:06
Is there telnet access by default?

LK

Yep telnet is enabled by default lets hope its only on lan and not on wan ..

Woffels
07-08-2007, 20:35
I see two files on the ftp server:
GPL_WL700gE_1078.rar
and
WL700gE_1078.rar

What are these files and do i need them both.
Woffels

gratitude182
07-08-2007, 20:44
thanks b2b for the screenshots and the info...

ok they haven't improved the webui (thats ok)... maybe it's now possible to modify more in the webui... or the torrent files (> 2gb) or the download speed with the downloadmanager is improved....

or asus has only released a "new" firmware because now telnet is enabled ;-)

grat182

@woffels: the gpl file is the source....

the other file is the nas file to install on the router...

back2basic
07-08-2007, 21:37
Lets hope so
It took a hell of a time before they came with this update
but the version went up from .4.6 to 7.8 so i expect a smoother box now
telnet is only enabled on lan not on wan ;)

gratitude182
07-08-2007, 23:09
telnet is only enabled on lan not on wan ;)

thats good :D :D

it is possible to close the telnet access?

grat182

back2basic
08-08-2007, 00:10
I browsed trough all the options on web-if but can't turn it off

iczfirz
08-08-2007, 02:23
Any hope to run slimserver?:o

turrican
08-08-2007, 06:10
@back2basic

Does this firmware spin down the drive?

back2basic
08-08-2007, 08:48
@back2basic

Does this firmware spin down the drive?

nope not on mine but the dowload master is active so i think it can't anyway,
gonne try it later with mediaserver &downloadmaster turned off

Asus didn't make a lot of changes I think looking @ this

WL-700gE English Firmware Version, version 1.0.7.8
WL-700gE English Firmware Version

1. fix 'itunes cannot find 700gE' issue
2. fix 'ftp cannot login when switching pbsa->ubsa->pbsa' issue
(source www.asus.com)

gratitude182
08-08-2007, 17:35
it's not easy for asus to make more improvements in the firmware in 9 months :(

medsource
08-08-2007, 23:08
The problems with the PS3 still exist. After about 40 photos the media server crashed and I have to reboot the brick. So no changes for this problem.:(

Did you try ushare on the 1.0.4.6 2a custom firmware??? Way fewer crashes with the PS3 using that media server.

adriaanvn
09-08-2007, 10:38
:confused:
Did you try ushare on the 1.0.4.6 2a custom firmware??? Way fewer crashes with the PS3 using that media server.

No I didn’t. Because: I don’t have the time to experiment with the custom firmware. My knowledge of Linux is very limited and I must be sure that theWL700 comes within an hour in the air again. I don’t have a spare router and my kids can’t live without the net anymore….
I still put my hopes on Asus. A “respected company” who by mistake have released a broken products to the market and will do everything to make there customer happy and will make the thing do what they have promised. (No Asus I am not cynical). I love to look daily on forms like this, hoping for a solution. :(

Guru
10-08-2007, 05:54
:confused:

No I didn’t. Because: I don’t have the time to experiment with the custom firmware. My knowledge of Linux is very limited and I must be sure that theWL700 comes within an hour in the air again. I don’t have a spare router and my kids can’t live without the net anymore….
I still put my hopes on Asus. A “respected company” who by mistake have released a broken products to the market and will do everything to make there customer happy and will make the thing do what they have promised. (No Asus I am not cynical). I love to look daily on forms like this, hoping for a solution. :(

I'm with you mate

Guru
10-08-2007, 06:18
I'm just wondering, if you have access to telnet with this firmware do you still need a custom firmware?
Can't you just upload the source code to add other features?

gratitude182
10-08-2007, 09:38
no i don't think thats possible. kfurge has in his firmware modified that you can start programs with rc.local... i don't think that asus has made a possibility to install and start programs with this "new" firmware...

grat182

Guru
10-08-2007, 21:35
no i don't think thats possible. kfurge has in his firmware modified that you can start programs with rc.local... i don't think that asus has made a possibility to install and start programs with this "new" firmware...

grat182

Ok so why give access to telnet then?
This firmware is useless, they did not improve anything:mad:

kfurge
11-08-2007, 00:14
I'm going to be reviewing the source code over the next few days. I'll let everyone know if I find anything new of substance.

- K.C.

Guru
11-08-2007, 06:08
I'm going to be reviewing the source code over the next few days. I'll let everyone know if I find anything new of substance.

- K.C.

Thanks that would be great since we have no idea what this new version does, yes I know the improve Itunes bs, I wonder how many people actually use that feature.

If your making another costume firmware for the new version please consider us noobs and make it easy to use.;)

medsource
11-08-2007, 17:58

- K.C.

Thanx in advance!

fireflash
12-08-2007, 04:41
Thanks that would be great since we have no idea what this new version does, yes I know the improve Itunes bs, I wonder how many people actually use that feature.

If your making another costume firmware for the new version please consider us noobs and make it easy to use.;)

You'd be surprised.. they probably just updated the mt-daapd server to a more recent build.. If so then it should work pretty well, and is a very handy thing to have if you're storing all your music on the router and want to access it easily. I don't use it personally at home but at work I'm running the Windows version of mt-daapd (Firefly) and it's pretty slick for sharing music across the network. Home I deal with the sometimes hassle of trying to get OS X to play nice with a Samba network drive. :) If it is a more recent build hopefully it's also got FLAC support, so you can listen to FLAC files in iTunes, something you can't do normally.

Guru
12-08-2007, 22:22
You'd be surprised.. they probably just updated the mt-daapd server to a more recent build.. If so then it should work pretty well, and is a very handy thing to have if you're storing all your music on the router and want to access it easily. I don't use it personally at home but at work I'm running the Windows version of mt-daapd (Firefly) and it's pretty slick for sharing music across the network. Home I deal with the sometimes hassle of trying to get OS X to play nice with a Samba network drive. :) If it is a more recent build hopefully it's also got FLAC support, so you can listen to FLAC files in iTunes, something you can't do normally.

never really tried the Itunes stuff.
I share music/movies/folders across my network the old fashion way by giving access to my harddrive to all my other computers on the network(WEP 64bit protected plus the firewall and you only have access to read the files not change).
Recently I added a 400GB external drive to the WL 700GE, I wanted to replace the internal drive(160GB) to a 500GB but I didn't want to void the warranty, plus this way I can turn off the hard-drive manually.
I never had any lag or frame drop even when I watch HD 720p or 1080i movies that are stored on the external drive connected to the router.
I have a ps3 as well and I can access the 700GE with no problem and play music/videos so I'm not really sure why you need the itunes but if you say it's good I'll take your word for it.
I just want better software(BT client improved) 90% of all the people who purchase this router was for that reason, I can think of many other routers at lower prices with the same features except the BT client.
They should have added Windows as the OS not linux, this way we could have installed everything we wanted on this bad boy, who the heck uses linux except a few people here and there for work related stuff or for fun then they go back to Windows.....what where this people thinking:confused:

kfurge
12-08-2007, 23:10
They should have added Windows as the OS not linux, this way we could have installed everything we wanted on this bad boy,

Are you just trolling or are you serious? Windows would never run on the modest hardware resources available on our router. It would easily have cost Asus 3-4x more just to run WinCE. I can tell you right now the selection of applications for Linux on the MIPS architecture far dwarfs anything you'll find for WinCE on MIPS. Besides, all of the nifty x86 stuff you have running on your PC couldn't run on the router even if it was running windows.

who the heck uses linux except a few people here and there for work related stuff or for fun then they go back to Windows.....what where this people thinking:confused:

Now I know you're trolling...

- K.C.

kfurge
12-08-2007, 23:38
A quick status update on 1.0.7.8:

1) I managed to compile a binary today. Same build process as for 1.0.4.6. However, it didn't compile out of the box like 1.0.4.6 did. Upnp is now distributed as source but the make settings were horribly broken and I had to disable it completely in the main makefile. Fortunately, the binary tarballs still contain a upnp binary so the lack of working source is only an annoyance and can be fixed easily by adjusting the Makefile to be more like 1.0.4.6. The final problem was a hardcoded path in pivot_root that had to be fixed. Otherwise, it built pretty easily.

2) The source code for rc.asus is back. That's good news because "watchdog" is symlinked to rc.asus and was responsible for a number of bad things in the 1.0.4.6 code. Now the annoying quirks (like keeping the HDD from spinning down) may be fixable if they still exist.

3) Most of the back-end executables seem to be exactly the same. Some things were added, some things removed, but I didn't see any major changes. For those interested in torrent support, the version changed and the binary got a little bigger. It's still distributed as a binary only so we'll have to figure out any improvements by trial and error.

- K.C.

Guru
13-08-2007, 01:27
Are you just trolling or are you serious? Windows would never run on the modest hardware resources available on our router. It would easily have cost Asus 3-4x more just to run WinCE. I can tell you right now the selection of applications for Linux on the MIPS architecture far dwarfs anything you'll find for WinCE on MIPS. Besides, all of the nifty x86 stuff you have running on your PC couldn't run on the router even if it was running windows.

- K.C.

It would cost asus 3-4x more? the price for this router is already $200-300 at 3x-4x more that's a $1000 but lets say $700 more then enough to buy a computer to run Windows Vista, I got my media center PC intel core 2 duo E4300 OC to 3ghz, 2GB Ram ddr2 667, ATI 2600XT GDDR4 everything cost me $400 and I'm buying this products at store price not the discount that asus and other big companies receive.
my score for Vista is 5.9, it's as high as my main computer running amd FX62
I am more then sure they could have build a box running Windows or some sort of OS that would allow users to install Windows base software.
Not all of us have your knowledge in linux KC, even installing the new firmware 1.0.7.8 gave me a headache, it brick my router, took me 3 days and over 10 hours to make it work again.(thanks to members on this forum;) )
I call Asus and like always they did not offer any help at all for the product they build.
I told you this many times before, since your such a smart guy and know how to use linux why not make a firmware so even the noobs can use, something that has all the packages install and we can upgrade like a normal firmware.

Guru
13-08-2007, 01:30
Correction, I upgraded my media center pc, I already had the mobo and an old 80GB drive:D

medsource
13-08-2007, 04:34
...I told you this many times before, since your such a smart guy and know how to use linux why not make a firmware so even the noobs can use, something that has all the packages install and we can upgrade like a normal firmware.

There's this saying that goes "never look a gift-horse in the mouth".

Guru, I'm assuming that you are a reasonably intelligent person who can wrap their brain around this concept. All the work Kfurge has done on this custom firmware has been gratis (that's free if you don't want to look it up). Which brings me to my point and my inclusion of your post, mainly because it really irked me. The instructions for the custom firmware and all the add on software has been painfully explained elsewhere on this site. Methinks you are relying too much on the "quick fix" or "spoon fed" mentality and that just doesn't fly here. If you take the time to read the instructions carefully, the prior installs function as advertised.

Oh, and if you were wondering I had ZERO linux command line experience prior to tinkering on the wl-700ge.

I imagine I'm not alone in asking, Guru, that you kindly cease complaining about the wonderful and hard work that others have spent a lot of time on.

** Please let this be the last message in this thread that is not directly CONSTRUCTIVE in the topic of the new firmware **

</soapbox>

Guru
13-08-2007, 10:24
There's this saying that goes "never look a gift-

Oh, and if you were wondering I had ZERO linux command line experience prior to tinkering on the wl-700ge.

I imagine I'm not alone in asking, Guru, that you kindly cease complaining about the wonderful and hard work that others have spent a lot of time on.

** Please let this be the last message in this thread that is not directly CONSTRUCTIVE in the topic of the new firmware **

</soapbox>

Look at the other threads on this forum, we actually offer money to K.C. to build a firmware for noobs, I'm sure if he does this and sets a charging fee of $10 per person at least least 5000 people would pay to get it.

How can I not complain? after soo long since the last firmware was release and we don't get shit, I was hoping for a lot of improvements in 1.0.7.8, all it did is brick my router:(

I tried to install the custom firmware by K.C. but problems always come up, missing a line or I did not type the code correctly, or move the RC from here to there etc
Again if you look on other threads I told KC thanks for the custom firmware even do I dont use it, I'm mad at Asus not him and yes I do need to be spoon-feed:D if you live in Ohio I would gladly pay to have you come and install the firmware.
Sorry for the none constructive thread but this one is to talk about firmware 1.0.7.8 and that's what I'm doing, if I had something against KC I would have posted on the custom firmware thread with over 37,000 views not here.

Back to this thread;
1. fix 'itunes cannot find 700gE' issue
2. fix 'ftp cannot login when switching pbsa->ubsa->pbsa' issue

Not sure what the problem was with number 1-2 but it's a good thing that they fix it.
Only 2 things are fix and the size of this firmware is 17.48MB:confused: I thought maybe they added the two new features on the old firmware but then why is the file smaller then 1.0.4.6? I'll ask asus, maybe someone will give me an answer in this life time.

If you're interested in buying the router from me I'll sell it for $210 and you'll never have to read a thread from me again(I'll even delete my account as a bonus), the router is in excellent condition, comes with the original box, manual and it's in warranty.
I don't want to complain, I just want a router that is worth the money I paid for.:D

back2basic
13-08-2007, 11:28
Offtopic:

:D if you live in Ohio I would gladly pay to have you come and install the firmware.

Why do we have to live in ohio for that. I think maybe it can be done over a remote desktop connection or someting like that ;)

AverySimonsen
13-08-2007, 20:59
Has anybody used the built-in torrent client in 1.0.7.8? I just updated to the new firmware and not only would it not continue the torrent I had going at the time (on pause). Any other torrent I have tried to start up since has reported: 'initial meta info failed'. Is anybody else seeing this? Does anybody have a workaround?

Nicely done .. rather than fix a broken client they seem to have completely annihilated it :)

This really buggers me .. especially since I was one of the few who actually found the 1.0.4.6 built-in torrent client slightly useful as I don't have a big problem with torrents being slow so long as they steadily progress.

wl700g
13-08-2007, 21:28
Are you just trolling or are you serious? Windows would never run on the modest hardware resources available on our router.

- K.C.

Are u sure? i have a 266 Mhz machine with 32 MB ram and windows 98 has been running just fine on it for past 8 years.

I know its difficult but it would be far better to have some sort of win OS on the router. Most people who buy the router are not linux literate, they dont buy it so that they have to learn a whole new OS and tinker with linux commands line interface just to get functions that they should have got by default in the first place from Asus. Fact remains most people are more comfortable with and have more knowledge of microsoft's OS's than linux.

fireflash
14-08-2007, 00:27
Are u sure? i have a 266 Mhz machine with 32 MB ram and windows 98 has been running just fine on it for past 8 years.

I know its difficult but it would be far better to have some sort of win OS on the router. Most people who buy the router are not linux literate, they dont buy it so that they have to learn a whole new OS and tinker with linux commands line interface just to get functions that they should have got by default in the first place from Asus. Fact remains most people are more comfortable with and have more knowledge of microsoft's OS's than linux.

Well good luck getting Windows 98 to handle your internet traffic for you.

I don't understand why people would want a router running any form of Windows on it. Do you realize how much overhead and excess crap Windows has? And yes, it would cost Asus more to make a router that can handle Windows. Do you realize just to get an x86 processor would exceed the router's price point? Not to mention the fact that a router would suddenly have a need for video display hardware (read: added cost) because you'd have to hook a monitor up to it, which doesn't make it very feasible your average Joe. Windows is NOT and never will be an embedded capable OS. Sure, there's CE and all that, but it's a PDA OS, and it's not designed to be a router, and probably has very little in the way of networking support (never used it). Linux is extremely scalable and can be compiled to run on just about anything and fit on just about any storage medium you can dream up. Think about it, this router has 2 MEGS, thats MEGS, not GIGS, of flash space for the firmware. Good luck getting Windows to fit on that.

If you want a Windows router, go build or buy yourself a PC, some networking hardware and a nice copy of Windows Server 2003 or something, and have fun. When you compare the costs and time requirements to do that compared to the WL700g, the Asus solution is starting to look a lot more appealing. Most of the people who buy this router probably have no desire what-so-ever to dive into what makes it tick. As long as you can plug it in, use a nice web interface to configure it, and it all works, then that's all most people want and need. It's the select few of us who wanna see what makes it tick and try to make it do more, or do what it does better.

I'm sorry if I start ranting here, but Windows fanboys really irk me. They think Windows is the end-all be-all of Operating Systems, and everyone and everything should be running Windows because it's fairly brainless to use. But I think they seem to forget that a very very large portion of the internet is running on operating systems OTHER than Windows, mostly a UNIX-based OS. Why? Because they work, require less resources to run, and are incredibly stable, and not to mention, they work. I worked at an ISP that tried to do an all Windows setup, which backfired on them horribly. As soon as they got a competent IT person in there to straighten their mess out, almost all of their servers went to Linux, and a majority of their problems went away. What problems remained were because of, you guessed it, the Windows-based servers they still had to run. The point I'm trying to make is every operating system has it's place and purpose. Windows is for the masses. It can do a little bit of everything. Linux and other UNIX based operating systems are incredibly scalable, and can do many things, and do them well. Apple proved years ago that a UNIX-based OS can make a great desktop OS for the masses when they released OS X, and it just keeps getting better and better.

For the record, I'm a Windows user... I'm an OS X user... I'm a Linux user.

Sorry to get off topic here. I'll wait for KC's enhanced version of the new firmware before upgrading. :)

back2basic
14-08-2007, 00:43

instead of bitching about it you can also take a look in linux. It isn't that hard to understand
Here are some books that teach you all about linux http://freebooks.homelinux.net

There are also some great 'live cd's 'on the net were you can boot into linux from a cd and try it.....

kfurge
14-08-2007, 01:30
It would cost asus 3-4x more? the price for this router is already $200-300 at 3x-4x more that's a $1000

You confusing "their cost" with "your price". They're two very different numbers. To provide equivalent performance running windows their cost would be considerably more. Besides the HW cost, licensing of any version of windows, even WinCE would be a significant cost adder.

I know this because I ran such an analysis for a similar project where I work.

- K.C.

kfurge
14-08-2007, 01:40
Look at the other threads on this forum, we actually offer money to K.C. to build a firmware for noobs, I'm sure if he does this and sets a charging fee of $10 per person at least least 5000 people would pay to get it.

Why do I always miss the good posts??? I can't believe I missed a $50k payout!

;-)

- K.C.

Guru
14-08-2007, 02:34
Why do I always miss the good posts??? I can't believe I missed a $50k payout!

;-)

- K.C.

Make it happen and I'll pay, many others will too;) better hurry cause I'm trying to sell the router.
Someone else came with the idea to pay a programmer to build a custom firmware that can be upgraded easily, it was a guy from Greece, you posted in that thread if I remember right.
Sucks for asus then, I'll build a true multifunctional server/computer, I'm buying a micro ATX case with the Biostar G965 mobo, 1GB of ram and the intel core 2 duo 4300 and run windows XP not vista, no I wont use a graphics card, I hear the integrated graphic controller is pretty good for basic use(GMA X3000) and I'm trying to keep the power consumption down to a minimum, Total cost will be $320, $50 more then what I paid for this router and I can run the latest version of bitcomet or any other program I want:D ooo yea lets not forget the E4300 will be 50x more powerful then the processor running in this router with a lot more ram.
My old belkin Pre-N router will do a nice job connected to the Micro ATX computer, I actually get a better single with the belkin, all the features that the 700GE has I can get with the belkin+MicroPC combo and more a lot more.
It's a great product don't get me wrong but for the price they charge I expect better software and more processing power ooo yea and better customer service(IT SUCKS)
Hopefully someone will buy this router from me.

Guru
14-08-2007, 02:54
A nice piece of information would be to post a big sign on the box saying "Linux is running on this product, if you don't have knowledge using this OS avoid this product because we will not help you" or maybe just "running Linux" that would be enough for me:D

This router was made in China, I dont think it cost more then $50 to build and they charge 3x-4x that amount whatever the cost I am not happy with it and trying to sell it, if you people like it good for you.

wl700g
14-08-2007, 10:09
Do you realize just to get an x86 processor would exceed the router's price point? Not to mention the fact that a router would suddenly have a need for video display hardware (read: added cost) because you'd have to hook a monitor up to it, which doesn't make it very feasible your average Joe. If you want a Windows router, go build or buy yourself a PC, some networking hardware and a nice copy of Windows Server 2003 or something, and have fun. When you compare the costs and time requirements to do that compared to the WL700g, the Asus solution is starting to look a lot more appealing

I think this has been answered by Guru above, for the same price as the Asus router, infact for even less, one can get a windows based PC having all functions with proper GUI, no installing crap like screen etc.

Most of the people who buy this router probably have no desire what-so-ever to dive into what makes it tick. As long as you can plug it in, use a nice web interface to configure it, and it all works, then that's all most people want and need. It's the select few of us who wanna see what makes it tick and try to make it do more, or do what it does better.

there u go, u have yourself mentioned the crux of the problem. If asus cant provide proper functions with this router they should put a disclaimer "only for geeks" on the router because the average joe likes the brainless click and point system because it has been doing his jobs with aplomb for several years and will continue to do so in the future.

I'm sorry if I start ranting here, but Windows fanboys really irk me. They think Windows is the end-all be-all of Operating Systems, and everyone and everything should be running Windows because it's fairly brainless to use. But I think they seem to forget that a very very large portion of the internet is running on operating systems OTHER than Windows, mostly a UNIX-based OS. Why? The point I'm trying to make is every operating system has it's place and purpose. Windows is for the masses. It can do a little bit of everything. Linux and other UNIX based operating systems are incredibly scalable, and can do many things, and do them well.

thats exactly what i am trying to say, windows is for masses and this is further evidenced by the huge popularity of win over linux in home environments.

by the way, u dont have fans if you are useless, so microsft has gotta have something which made them so popular, Linux AFAIK predates microsoft(in form of unix) if it was so heavenly good why isnt it the staple home OS today?

for the record i am not criticizing kfurge or anybody here, infact he has done an excellent job by coming to help of those people who were left high and dry
by Asus. If its anybody i am condemning its Asus, for the price that Asus is charging for the router one can get a good windows based system which most people can use. I feel most people are being tricked by Asus and they are stuck with a device they cannot use for the purposes they bought in the first place.

tiwag
14-08-2007, 10:42
i'm happy with my customized WL700, because when i consider the power consumption of the Asus WL700 compared to any Windoze based Mini-Server then i got what i wanted. a low-power consuming device which serves (slowly) all my needs. my WL700 is working fine and i got everything running with moderate amount of fine-tweaking. thanks to K.C. (kfurge) again :)

brgds

--
tiwag

AverySimonsen
14-08-2007, 11:24
Hope I'm not fanning the flamings, but it seems to me that Guru and Wl700g are missing a crucial point: The wl700ge is a network device. Not a pc. It is easy to forget when asus (and perhaps even more so kfurge) makes it do tasks that used to be reserved for PCs. Being a network device and not a pc, it consumes a lot less power, is more silent and takes up way less space. It is even deceptively attractive on the outside.

If you know your computer history, there are very real explanations to why Bill Gates and Microsoft in general had such luck marketing their product in the dawn of the PC age. First and foremost Gates had the bright idea to go into business with the people supplying customers with computers, so that they came ready to use with an operating system already installed.

Arguing that network devices should run desktop windows is insane, if you will pardon my choice of words.

hal2k1
14-08-2007, 13:33
I'll build a true multifunctional server/computer, I'm buying a micro ATX case with the Biostar G965 mobo, 1GB of ram and the intel core 2 duo 4300 and run windows XP not vista, no I wont use a graphics card, I hear the integrated graphic controller is pretty good for basic use(GMA X3000) and I'm trying to keep the power consumption down to a minimum, Total cost will be $320, $50 more then what I paid for this router and I can run the latest version of bitcomet or any other program I want:D ooo yea lets not forget the E4300 will be 50x more powerful then the processor running in this router with a lot more ram.

If you were to run Linux on this same intel core 2 duo 4300 machine, it would of course be easier to install (say by using a Xubuntu liveCD), it would be far more multifunctional (remember that "the latest version of bitcomet or any other program" does not actually come with Windows), it would run faster and be more functional.

remote admin via web interface? = webmin (http://www.webmin.com/ ___ http://www.webmin.com/standard.html ___ http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter32/figure2.png ____ http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapterfs/figure2.png ___ http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter37/figure2.png )
Router/firewall functionality? = iptables (http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter19/figure2.png ).
Web server functionality? = lamp (linux, apache, mysql, php). (http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter9/figure2.png ___ http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter29/figure4.png ___ http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter35/figure2.png )
Print server functionality? = CUPS (http://www.webmin.com/screenshots/chapter22/figure2.png ).
Bittorrent? = pick one for linux from this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client
Mail server? = xmail ( http://www.xmailserver.org/ )

All for free, apart from the hardware cost.

If you are going to blather on about Windows, then at least compare to a similar use case on Linux.

Windows is limited to x86 architecture and it scales poorly ... Linux runs on everything from supercomputers to wristwatches to google-clusters.

Xubuntu feisty will support 3D desktop (via compiz fusion http://compiz.org/Home/Screenshots ) natively on a GMA X3000 video card (Intel provides open source 3D graphics drivers).
http://vness.wordpress.com/2007/07/19/screenshots-of-linux-ubuntu-with-compiz-fusion/ ___ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Dare I say, wow!

A core 2 duo E4300 CPU will not support x86 virtualization because it lacks the Intel VT functions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization
If you were to step up the CPU to an E6xxx series CPU, then you would be able to run virtualization software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine (again for free).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Harumphy.kvm.screenshot.png

Try and do that for the same cost with Windows as the primary host OS!

On any given piece of hardware, for the same overall outlay, you are far, far more likely to be able to get far more stuff (and more powerful stuff) running far more easily, cheaply and reliably by starting with a Linux OS than starting with a Windows OS.

Guru
14-08-2007, 19:27
i'm happy with my customized WL700, because when i consider the power consumption of the Asus WL700 compared to any Windoze based Mini-Server then i got what i wanted. a low-power consuming device which serves (slowly) all my needs. my WL700 is working fine and i got everything running with moderate amount of fine-tweaking. thanks to K.C. (kfurge) again :)

brgds

--
tiwag

That's one of the reasons why I got the wl-700GE:p
Low Power consumption/running torrents sounded bad ass at first, but i fails at torrent part:(

Yes a mini-PC will consume more power no doubt about that but the performance gain+easy to install software will make it worth it in my opinion, on the 700GE we are stuck with using Linux base software and even then some of the programs still won't work on it.
Yes you are right, you can't have a mini-pc consume as little power as the 700GE but you can come close.
Use a 65nm CPU clocked at 2ghz or lower, use 512mb or 1gbRam max, use only 1 hard drive, no graphics card, no sound card, remove the floppy drive, only 1 Fan(zalman 7000) to cool the CPU and everything around.
I'll do some testing and see what the difference is between 1 core and 2 cores, I hear you can disable a core and run only one, I'm pretty sure Bitcomet wont have a problem with that if the power consumption is lower.

@AverySimonsen
All I ever wanted is a good BT client, but this people can't even deliver that:mad:
I downloaded a Axxo movie with over 8000 seeders and it took me 3 days to finish the movie, If I download the same movie on Bitcomet it takes 2 hours to finish the download.
Yes the 700GE is able to download a torrent but it does a shit job compare to any current BT client.
Since I have fast cable connection(8mb dl/718up) I have become spoiled and like my downloads to finish in my lifetime.lol

I decided to add the http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377018 n1 vision with my mini-PC, yes I know the price but I got a coupon for 50% off at best buy, I'm getting this sucker for $100:p
I plan to install it in the living room with my media center PC, it looks so sexy.lol

@hal2k1
If Linux is so much better, then why is everyone using Windows?
I never seen a single person running linux and I have a lot of geek friends who use C++,HTML,Java etc

"blather on about Windows"

I don't like windows more then you do but it's easier to use,(more user friendly) 99% of software will run on it, if something breaks I can fix it on my own.

I'm not sure how much it would have cost asus to run windows but I do know they could have install a better BT client, if KC manage to add new feautures and run a better BT client why hasn't Asus done this in the first place? at least step up to the game and fix the problem now, you people must work for asus or something, seriously how can you be so happy after 9 months with a firmware that only fix 2 things that I never had problem with, actually this firmware was a nightware for me:mad:
Seriously 1 programmer could have done a better job at this then asus in 9 months, big ass company they make billion of dollars and this is the best they can do?

fireflash
14-08-2007, 22:49
Hope I'm not fanning the flamings, but it seems to me that Guru and Wl700g are missing a crucial point: The wl700ge is a network device. Not a pc. It is easy to forget when asus (and perhaps even more so kfurge) makes it do tasks that used to be reserved for PCs. Being a network device and not a pc, it consumes a lot less power, is more silent and takes up way less space. It is even deceptively attractive on the outside.

If you know your computer history, there are very real explanations to why Bill Gates and Microsoft in general had such luck marketing their product in the dawn of the PC age. First and foremost Gates had the bright idea to go into business with the people supplying customers with computers, so that they came ready to use with an operating system already installed.

Arguing that network devices should run desktop windows is insane, if you will pardon my choice of words.

Amen brother :) It's not because Windows or any MS OS is better than any UNIX-based OS, it was essentially shoved down the consumer's throats back in the early 80's with MS-DOS, thanks to a very brilliant plan by Gates & Co.. MS got the consumer market cornered early on and has been able to hold on to it, but slowly others are starting to chip away at their mighty empire. Just because it's the most used doesn't always mean it's better.

If I ever build a PC-based router for my home, it won't be running Windows. There's plenty of *NIX-based easy to use setups out there that require a lot less hardware and overhead to run, and will still run circles around this Asus box. But I like the Asus because it's a low powered router with a few extra perks, which is why I bought it. My old DLink router was working perfectly, but the hard drive and the fact that (supposedly) it could run my BT downloads was enough to make me cough up the cash for it. I didn't expect much out of it, just that it did what was advertised. Sadly, while it did, it wasn't pretty, and we've had to turn to others to make it do what Asus says it's suppose to do. Maybe that was their plan all along, half-ass it and hope the user base takes care of the rest. And since it is running Linux, under the GPL they have to release the source code, so anyone with the know-how can have a lot of fun with it.

But again, we've gotten off topic. :)

kfurge
14-08-2007, 23:28
seriously how can you be so happy after 9 months with a firmware that only fix 2 things that I never had problem with

You do have a point here. I'm not an Ausu shill and am personally disappointed with the lack of ongoing support for the firmware. I think they could earn major points with the community by just implementing a workable BT client.

- K.C.

hal2k1
15-08-2007, 00:08
Yes a mini-PC will consume more power no doubt about that but the performance gain+easy to install software will make it worth it in my opinion, on the 700GE we are stuck with using Linux base software and even then some of the programs still won't work on it.

Your error here is assuming that the limitations you experience on the WL700ge are due to its use of Linux. That assumption is not correct. The limitations are due to (a) the WL700ge hardware (particularly lack of memory), and (b) your lack of knowledge about Linux.

All I ever wanted is a good BT client, but this people can't even deliver that:mad:
I downloaded a Axxo movie with over 8000 seeders and it took me 3 days to finish the movie, If I download the same movie on Bitcomet it takes 2 hours to finish the download.
Yes the 700GE is able to download a torrent but it does a shit job compare to any current BT client.

On the WL700ge running kfurge's custom firmware or running OpenWrt, enhanced-ctorrent or rtorrent will do a fair job ... just without a graphical "GUI". rtorrent has a "pseudo GUI" ... it is easier to use than a straight command line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rtorrent
http://portfolio16.de/tmp/chunks.png
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/images/file_list_01.png
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/images/download_list_01.png

Since I have fast cable connection(8mb dl/718up) I have become spoiled and like my downloads to finish in my lifetime.lol

I decided to add the http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377018 n1 vision with my mini-PC, yes I know the price but I got a coupon for 50% off at best buy, I'm getting this sucker for $100:p
I plan to install it in the living room with my media center PC, it looks so sexy.lol

On Linux in general, any one of several choices of bittorrent client will do just as good a job as any Windows program running on the same hardware.

In general, whatever you can do buy buying expensive Windows-based software, you can do better and for free with Linux-based software.

For example, your media centre PC.
http://linuxmce.org/
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Screenshots

For free.

@hal2k1
If Linux is so much better, then why is everyone using Windows?
I never seen a single person running linux and I have a lot of geek friends who use C++,HTML,Java etc

I don't know, but I suspect it is because Linux is free, so it doesn't have an advertising budget. Since most people are like yourself who are too lazy to find out for themselves and won't listen anyway, then most people simply don't know (and won't believe when told) that Linux options are better and are free.

"blather on about Windows"

I don't like windows more then you do but it's easier to use,(more user friendly)

A pure myth. Linux will support any GUI function that Windows will.

99% of software will run on it,

Including all of the viruses and malware that are out there. You have to load down your Windows PC with a whole raft of bolt-on-afterthought-expensive-security-protection-performance-hit software such as Norton's or whatever to keep your PC safe, and it nearly brings the PC to its knees.

I repeat ... anything you can do on Windows, you can do just as well on Linux on the same hardware. On Linux it will be free, and it won't nag you, or spy on you, or stop working on you after 30 days, or require extra protection programs or cost you anything.

if something breaks I can fix it on my own.

How is this different for Linux? Linux is actually better in this regard ... most Windows executables are binary-only closed source which you have no chance to fix.

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2007/08/13/50-reasons-to-dump-windows/

I'm not sure how much it would have cost asus to run windows but I do know they could have install a better BT client, if KC manage to add new feautures and run a better BT client why hasn't Asus done this in the first place? at least step up to the game and fix the problem now, you people must work for asus or something, seriously how can you be so happy after 9 months with a firmware that only fix 2 things that I never had problem with, actually this firmware was a nightware for me:mad:

Seriously 1 programmer could have done a better job at this then asus in 9 months, big ass company they make billion of dollars and this is the best they can do?

All of this rant is all a problem of Asus, not of Linux.

There are better software programs for Linux that Asus could have used (particularly if they had thought to include a bit more memory), but they didn't. Rant at Asus, by all means, but do not mistake Asus for Linux or for FOSS software in general.

I personally have ditched the Asus software, and I have gone with OpenWrt for this router. OpenWrt is still in development for the WL700ge, and it isn't stable, and it runs into memory restrictions just as Asus software does or kfurge's custom firmware + oleg's optware does, but OpenWrt is the most open and configurable of the lot. Not recommended for beginners though.

I am hoping that Debian embedded or even perhaps the "Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded Edition" will eventually proove a better solution for the Asus WL700ge hardware.

Certainly we will never have a hope of running Windows on this hardware ... and that is a good thing.

back2basic
15-08-2007, 09:10
I'm really starting to think this a windows vs lynux tread :confused: :confused:

hal2k1
15-08-2007, 11:52
I'm really starting to think this a windows vs lynux tread :confused: :confused:

Well, when someone tries to blame Linux for deficiencies of Asus firmware, and in the same breath says "I can do more with better hardware and Windows and it won't cost much" ... well it should be pointed out that Windows + applications for Windows (that don't come with Windows) will in fact cost a good deal (more even than the hardware), and that Linux on the same hardware would be easier, more powerful, flexible and secure and actually save money.

I don't mind someone having a rant, but they should at least rant at the correct party.

AverySimonsen
15-08-2007, 19:10
@Guru: I completely agree that Asus would have created fabulous firmware with great bittorrent support and everything else if they had had just 1 (one) dedicated and competent programmer full time on the project. I can only assume that firmware for the 700ge has but the lowest priority at Asus. Maybe because they expect the community to do the job for them as suggested above.

I had a very good impression Asus as a company having bought several motherboards and graphics cards by them in the past, but I must say that any network devices (and similar) that I buy in the future will NOT be from Asus. They have their priorities all messed up.

Guru
16-08-2007, 03:32
Well, when someone tries to blame Linux for deficiencies of Asus firmware, and in the same breath says "I can do more with better hardware and Windows and it won't cost much" ... well it should be pointed out that Windows + applications for Windows (that don't come with Windows) will in fact cost a good deal (more even than the hardware), and that Linux on the same hardware would be easier, more powerful, flexible and secure and actually save money.

I don't mind someone having a rant, but they should at least rant at the correct party.

Assuming you pay for the software:rolleyes:
Don't think many people on this forum purchase software.....I wonder why(torrents).lol
I have nothing against linux dude, If you like it rock on.
I see another thread started by Kfurge doing another custom firmware for 1.0.7.8 Great work man, doing the work for asus again, seriously they should hire you:D

Psytrax
25-08-2007, 00:46
Can someone else verify, that the orange power button has no function any more, please?

I haven't been able to shut the router down since i installed firmware 1.0.7.8 ...

back2basic
25-08-2007, 08:33
Can someone else verify, that the orange power button has no function any more, please?

I haven't been able to shut the router down since i installed firmware 1.0.7.8 ...

It works normal over here it powers the box down and when I push it again the box powersup again , haven't got any problems with it

yeller
27-08-2007, 21:36
Did the BT client change or is it the same from the previous firmware?

AverySimonsen
28-08-2007, 09:44
I think the BT client changed. I have not been able to make it work at all while I ran 1.0.7.8. KFurge also said somewhere that the BT client binary had grown since 1.0.4.6.

medsource
06-09-2007, 20:55
Kfurge:

I remember back when you were working on the 1.0.4.6 firmware that you noticed that asus had done some customization to vsftpd. Question: did they use the new vsftpd release in the new firmware or is it the same one from the older firmware, and, if they did use the newer vsftpd (the one found in ipkg), did they make their same modifications. The modifications made in 1.0.4.6 seem to tie-in the GUI user management and security settings to vsftpd in a simple manner however the performance of directory browsing suffers (not sure if they are linked).

Anyway, if you have any info on the subject...

kfurge
07-09-2007, 01:46
I don't think there were any changes for vsftpd from one version to the other. I'm in the middle of a computer upgrade and can't check right now to confirm.

If I forget to follow-up (which I probably will), please ping this thread again.

- K.C.

nos96
07-09-2007, 16:44
I compiled new custom firmware, based on 1.0.7.8:
WL700gE_1.0.7.8.nas (ftp://ftp.nekrylov.org.ru/WL700gE_1.0.7.8.nas)
I use tutorial: http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html

1) Add 'traceroute'
2) hdparm 7.7
3) wget 1.10.2
4) ash 0.4.0
5) which 2.16
and more fixes

msuser
21-09-2007, 15:23
nos96, thank you very much!

Maccro
21-09-2007, 21:04
I'd like to hear from a couple of folks before I install it myself.

Thanks

1) Add 'traceroute'
2) hdparm 7.7
3) wget 1.10.2
4) ash 0.4.0
5) which 2.16
and more fixes

Maccro
22-09-2007, 04:54
So, I couldn't wait and I installed this customer firmware. It seems to work well so far. One thing I'm stuck on, and I have to admit to being a bit of a newbie here, is disabling Telnet. I got ssh working well now. I of course can just kill the telnet process, but I'd like to do this the proper way. Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks.

1) Add 'traceroute'
2) hdparm 7.7
3) wget 1.10.2
4) ash 0.4.0
5) which 2.16
and more fixes

Alex9er
26-09-2007, 16:30
Yes these are great functions, Hal :)

But how about if we show him something what Windows can't do, or at least not for free :D

Look at video of LinuxMCE (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en) and then you can go to www.linuxmce.com :)

Alex

If you were to run Linux on this same intel core 2 duo 4300 machine, it would of course be easier to install (say by using a Xubuntu liveCD), it would be far more multifunctional (remember that "the latest version of bitcomet or any other program" does not actually come with Windows), it would run faster and be more functional.