Bekijk de volledige versie : Firmware v9.8.2.1 BETA

Antiloop
12-10-2004, 00:35
WARNING: BETA VERSION
TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

DO NOT UPGRADE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
DOWNGRADE IS NOT EASILY POSSIBLE!!

Changelog:

nothing official: QOS supported is in webinterface now untested, webcam PWC driver updated to 8.11
official leaked:
Chg: Not write eeprom bits(WL500g.Deluxe Only) (in 1.8.2.1)
Fixed: WL500gx setting file malfunction(WL500g.Deluxe Only) (in 1.8.2.0 already)

important!!

When upgrading from 1.7.x.x based firmware: you MUST Reset your WL500g to defaults via the restore button at the back after upgrading to this firmware!

you do not have to do this when you upgrade from 1.8.x.x based firmware!
but we recommend you to do a restore to defaults

Do not import saved settings from older/other firmwares! this can cause unstability to your device

Mirror @ Chupa.nl:
http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware/WL500g_9.8.2.1_EN.zip

Styno
12-10-2004, 08:49
Hey! That QoS thinghy configurable from the webinterface sounds great, but I guess it gives you the opportunity to:
- enter the script parameters nr. 5 till 9,
- set min/max parameters
- and to enable/disable it.

Am I right?

Nice feature for the webinterface, but nothing more then that. Setting it up from telnet isn't that difficult....Besides that, it gives you only control to shape TCP traffic, nothing on UDP.

Anyway, it's userfriendly that counts :)

Antiloop
12-10-2004, 09:05
Hey! That QoS thinghy configurable from the webinterface sounds great, but I guess it gives you the opportunity to:
- enter the script parameters nr. 5 till 9,
- set min/max parameters
- and to enable/disable it.

Am I right?

Nice feature for the webinterface, but nothing more then that. Setting it up from telnet isn't that difficult....Besides that, it gives you only control to shape TCP traffic, nothing on UDP.

Anyway, it's userfriendly that counts :)
no idea.. this is an implementation by asus, i have no idea what they are using at all. and I can't check websetup now because my main wl500g won't forward port 80 to the wl500g behind it

chris.delarue
12-10-2004, 10:22
Where it come from ?
I don't see it on asus website or on their ftp ?

Antiloop
12-10-2004, 13:47
Where it come from ?
I don't see it on asus website or on their ftp ?
Asus never publishes beta firmwares on their ftp

but it's from Asus

geoffreytw
23-10-2004, 05:06
Downloading at 800+KByte/sec for hours and hours and never die. Before it dies in 10 to 30 min.

Give it a try if you have the same problem.... I am much happier with Asus now....

Antiloop
23-10-2004, 14:06
Downloading at 800+KByte/sec for hours and hours and never die. Before it dies in 10 to 30 min.

Give it a try if you have the same problem.... I am much happier with Asus now....
and using autonegotiating ?

geoffreytw
25-10-2004, 18:31
and using autonegotiating ?

Yes it's auto now.

I did not run a test so I don't know for sure it's 100M now, but from the way it connected to the ADSL modem, I would guess it's 100M (it took very long to reset and connect to my ADSL modem at 10M but it's very fast now).

No matter it's 100M or 10M.... I am happy now:D Downloading for a few days now, no unusual interrupt what-so-ever.

QoS did not seem to work for me, but I can live without that:)

Styno
25-10-2004, 19:57
QoS did not seem to work for me, but I can live without that:)
Check the QoS discussion topic. The problem might be that you've set the upload/download too high...

Dante_
25-10-2004, 20:40
QoS doesn't really work. I've set 20Kbps max and 1Kbps min to port 4662 (ed2k) on a 512/128Kbps DSL line and it still upload's at 14KB/s, leaving the line completely stuck! Minutes to open this forum for instance!

Styno
25-10-2004, 21:16
QoS doesn't really work. I've set 20Kbps max and 1Kbps min to port 4662 (ed2k) on a 512/128Kbps DSL line and it still upload's at 14KB/s, leaving the line completely stuck! Minutes to open this forum for instance!
please post the output of: /etc/wshaper status eth1

Antiloop
25-10-2004, 23:08
qos is not officially supported :D

and therefor it is a beta version ;)

mr.destroyer
25-10-2004, 23:43
hey i cant seem to find the place where i can change the login name.

u know instead of: admin

i could change it before, i think it was under the change password menu.

Dante_
26-10-2004, 22:04
please post the output of: /etc/wshaper status eth1

this is asus firmware.. no telnet... I don't even know if they'r using the wondershaper script. Wondershaper doesn't seem to be able to shape a single tcp port, only the entire interface, and there are no wondershaper like options oln the web interface... The "WAN port dies" thing also seems to be solved with me!

Antiloop
26-10-2004, 22:13
hey i cant seem to find the place where i can change the login name.

u know instead of: admin

i could change it before, i think it was under the change password menu.
it's a custom feature which I made sometime
so only available in custom firmware

Styno
26-10-2004, 22:51
this is asus firmware.. no telnet... I don't even know if they'r using the wondershaper script. Wondershaper doesn't seem to be able to shape a single tcp port, only the entire interface, and there are no wondershaper like options oln the web interface... The "WAN port dies" thing also seems to be solved with me!
Search the forum for the hidden admin page. You can execute commands from this page. This way you can find out if the script is present and if it works.

Antiloop
26-10-2004, 23:04
Search the forum for the hidden admin page. You can execute commands from this page. This way you can find out if the script is present and if it works.

it's using TC or something.. (trafficcontrol?)

Styno
26-10-2004, 23:11
it's using TC or something.. (trafficcontrol?)
Owww, in that case I haven't said anything :o

mr.destroyer
28-10-2004, 01:58
hey i found that in my router WonderShaper works half....

The Download limiting feature works perfekt.

but the upload limiter doesnt work at all... just wanted to let u know..

actually Limiting upload is the most important thing for me, and the integrated Qos was just like coming to heaven.

Thx for these Gr8 firmware's.

another thing is, when i've looked at a page in the my.router for about 10seconds, if i change page to another one in the router it asks for password again...

is this a bug in the firmware or is it just some kind of extra security ?

best regards
Dion

ps.

It would be the coolest if u had some kind of online bug report for every firmware.

whenever someone found a failure it would come up with a box like Windows XP bug report :) send

hehe... of course this would be like bombarding u, but just a nice little thought :)

Antiloop
28-10-2004, 08:39
hey i found that in my router WonderShaper works half....

actually Limiting upload is the most important thing for me, and the integrated Qos was just like coming to heaven.

Thx for these Gr8 firmware's.

another thing is, when i've looked at a page in the my.router for about 10seconds, if i change page to another one in the router it asks for password again...

is this a bug in the firmware or is it just some kind of extra security ?

best regards
Dion

ps.

It would be the coolest if u had some kind of online bug report for every firmware.

whenever someone found a failure it would come up with a box like Windows XP bug report :) send

hehe... of course this would be like bombarding u, but just a nice little thought :)

i have no idea if the password thing is a bug, but it's annoying sometimes. perhaps cleaning your cookies/cache will help you but i'm not sure

regarding the bug report.. would be nice.. only problem is who is going to maintain it ? (meaning to test it them theirself)
a lot of people think that user errors are bugs thus when they are entering things wrong and it doesn't work that it is a bug..

Styno
28-10-2004, 09:05

Thats a pitty because download shaping isn't very effective in improving the internet experience when using filesharing stuff and browsing at the same time. This is caused mostly by the large buffers on the ISP side. Upload shaping is much more effective. Lets hope Asus fixes this ASAP.

shopping
29-10-2004, 04:36
Qos is effective. i set a IP with port 80 max speed 100k min 10K. when downloading, its speed is 20K, when i change the IP address to a undesignated one, the speed goes up to 200K.

Styno
29-10-2004, 08:20
Qos is effective. i set a IP with port 80 max speed 100k min 10K. when downloading, its speed is 20K, when i change the IP address to a undesignated one, the speed goes up to 200K.
NOFI, but limiting the download speed does not mean that your internet experience gets better through lower response times. That depends on a lot more then just lower download speeds. What you just proved is that QoS can be activated on the download stream nothing more.

Edit: Here's a quote from the Wondershaper HOWTO:

Take note that QoS is mainly shaping the upload bandwidth. (since it's at your end.) You hardly can do anything regarding download bandwidth. (since that's the ISP end. I also say hardly because in theory, and from what I read, you can; at the expense of your downstream bandwidth

Oleg
29-10-2004, 10:30
The funny thing with ASUS QoS, that it's not possible to limit aggregate traffic, you could only limit particular ports separately...

Dante_
29-10-2004, 21:53
The funny thing with ASUS QoS, that it's not possible to limit aggregate traffic, you could only limit particular ports separately...
Yeah.. That really sucks...
It would be good to limit ALL traffic to/from an IP/MAc address, and the, specific ports por exceptions... or at least the interface accept a port range (like 1-65000).

Anyway, wondershaper also sucks, becuse it limits the speed on a router interface, and not to a specific IP/MAC Address.
Example...
I have a neighbour at 400mts with ADSL coverage (I didn't till 2 months)... We have the router on the roof, and an external antenna and an AP client in my roof. The connection is 512/128. It would be very nice that when te connection is loaded, ~200Kbps would be reserved for each one. We keep sharing the acees, because a 2Gb per mont limited 512/128 Kbps costs 37€ here in portugal, and an unlimited 512/128 connection cost 54€ plus phone line rent (~20€).
Portugal Telecom (monopolist phone operator) has a worst than 3.rd world policy. At Spain the 512/128Kbps connection also costs ~37€, but it's unlimited...

mr.destroyer
30-10-2004, 03:24
hey u can limit download for all ports...

just leave the port box empty..

i did.. it worked perfekt, only sideeffect on that, is that if u limit a computer to 200kb/s then it will also only be 200kb/s on LAN :(

still the upload manager doesnt work :(

Oleg
30-10-2004, 09:29
hey u can limit download for all ports...

just leave the port box empty..

i did.. it worked perfekt, only sideeffect on that, is that if u limit a computer to 200kb/s then it will also only be 200kb/s on LAN :(

still the upload manager doesnt work :(
I mean aggregate traffic for all LAN, not just single IP.

shopping
30-10-2004, 19:30
the beta version is not stable. the router can't be found after a while or new setting applied, especially upnp turned on. anyway, it's better than the earlier version. more functions let me feel worthiness of wl500g. but i still expect the official released version.

chris.delarue
02-11-2004, 13:55
an idea of the availability of the official one ?

roys
17-07-2005, 08:11
could anyone tell me have or not reset/reboot problem with this version??

roys
17-07-2005, 08:51
i tried. reset problem haven't fix... :(