Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1.0.4.6 based custom firmware

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IMM22 View Post
    I test with telnet wl700ge, and with telnet 192.168.1.2 and none seem to work
    There's no IP address distinction for the telnet server. Perhaps you may have the router plugged into your lan via the WAN interface (eth0). I configured utelnetd to only listen on the LAN interface (br0). Try removing the "-i br0" part from the utelnetd startup. This will fire up telnet on both the LAN and WAN ports. See if that helps.

Another trouble spot may be the script failing to execute. Prior to gaining telnet access, make sure the script is only present in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/web. If you have a script in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 make sure to remove it. This is because the startup script (rcex) prefers the non-web location, but requires that the execute bits be set.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 20-11-2006 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Another trouble spot may be the script failing to execute. Prior to gaining telnet access, make sure the script is only present in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/web. If you have a script in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 make sure to remove it. This is because the startup script (rcex) prefers the non-web location, but requires that the execute bits be set.

- K.C.
    Ok.

It's working

Success installing ctorrent, very easy following kfurge instructions. A bit disappointed I aspect a more graphical interface, is only text mode
    Last edited by IMM22; 20-11-2006 at 20:36.

There are a fair few ncurses based bittorrent clients - so it may be possible to get one of those going eventually...

4. http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/ ?
    openwrt choosed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoire.Favre View Post
    http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/ ?
    openwrt choosed that one.
    That's the client that ships with the wl700g

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    That's the client that ships with the wl700g

It seem there is a new one, the "Enhanced CTorrent" is that the one who ships with the Wl700g?

If this is a more powerful version, does some one with the right acknowledge to compile or install this in the Wl700gE?

Default there is a gift deamon inside the wl700g (http://gift.sourceforge.net/software/core.mhtml), no ctorrent client. The client inside the wl700g is a webbased gifd client. Look on google and you can find windows and linux clients for giftd. Gift deamon has a cool feature. It can search over the gnutella and fasttrack networks. To use this you have to enable the extra function in the wl700g (Enable Download Daemon?). After that you have to download another windows client with search support and you are able to download more (http://www.kceasy.com/).

Ctorrent doesnt have this kind of features, but it has a ratio option (giftd not) and ctorrent isnt borked as the giftd implementation.

I hope you all know the differents.

Sollie.

PS: http://wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=7170
    Last edited by sollie; 24-11-2006 at 19:44.

Quick question as I am slightly confused. I have just gone throught he instructions for building the 1.0.4.6 based firmware and am now up to applying K.C.'s modifications.

http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html indicates in step 2.3 to "cd to ./exinstall/apps/bin" but I don't have an apps directory under exinstall. Here is the path I found rcex under: /opt/WL700g/nasoc/src/apps/tarfiles/exinstall/bin

Is this the file I should be looking for?

Here is another one. Step 6.1 states:
    # Disable the config rewrite nonsense in $(apps)/Makefile by commenting out the line immediately under the "busybox:" target label.
    I assume then that this line would be the one that starts with "cd busybox"?
    Code:
    busybox:
            cd busybox && rm -f .config && ln -s NASoC_config .config
            $(MAKE) -C busybox dep
            $(MAKE) -C busybox STRIPTOOL=$(STRIP)
    I guess I leave the "cd busybox" command in and remove the rest?

Thanks,
    Hacksaw.
    Last edited by Hacksaw; 02-05-2007 at 01:49. Reason: Added second question.
    http://hacksaw.dnsalias.org - my WL-700gE in action.
    http://thecomichaven.com - my favorite site!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Here is the path I found rcex under: /opt/WL700g/nasoc/src/apps/tarfiles/exinstall/bin

Is this the file I should be looking for?
    It's been a while since I posted the instructions, and I've modified my build environment since, but I believe you're right. The makefile uses exinstall.tar to build the image so you'll have to tar up any of your changes in the exinstall directory back to exinstall.tar to make them stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post

I guess I leave the "cd busybox" command in and remove the rest?
    Comment out the whole line.

- K.C.

Thanks K.C.!

I have rebuilt the image using your instructions and attempted to apply the iptables recent module support. I have applied the patches to the kernel and rebuilt it, but am having issues getting the libipt_recent.so built. I might not need it, so i am going to flash the load I have and see what happens.

Hacksaw.
    http://hacksaw.dnsalias.org - my WL-700gE in action.
    http://thecomichaven.com - my favorite site!

I locked myself out - Previous version of Kfurge's firmware?

I locked myself out of my shell (no telnet, no valid shell for ssh), so cannot get into my WL700.

Although I have tried various approaches described on the forum, I cannot prevent the rc.local in /MYVOLUME1/ from being executed (and preventing me from logging in). The telnet hack described, does not work for me (see my other post http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8858).

Therefore I was wondering if a previous version of Kfurge's firmware might do the trick. Especially the one that expects an rc.local in /MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/. This location I can reach (by nfs) and can modify files in.

I'm thinking that downgrading to that custom firmware might force the WL700 to use the rc.local in /MYSHARE1/ which I could make to enable telnet. Right?

Only problem, Kfurge doesnt offer this version for download, and I do not know which version of Kfurge's firmware it should be. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks.

Downgrading to the previous version worked like a charm...
    Last edited by oclee; 09-05-2007 at 08:45. Reason: fix

how do i upgrade to this firmware?

the instruktions is gone and asus has no description on how to do it.?

Quote Originally Posted by isak_l View Post
    the instruktions is gone and asus has no description on how to do it.?
    Instructions are still there. Have you read this thread?

LK

Im going mad!

Hi there,
    Bought a WL-700 eG Yesterday and it looks quite nice to me. Ive bought it becaus of its BT feature. Ive looked in many fora last night about my wl, because i have the feeling bt isnt working like i want it. In this forum ive seen many solution for upgrading firmware. But loads of posts is abacadabra for me! Still i see lots of people upgrading the firmware to Kfurge its version, but i dont have too many experience with linux and telnet. Could somebody make a walktrough or post a link how to upgrade to Kfurge's version. Ive read his website also, but it is still to hard for me. I think this walktrough will help a lot of people like me, who want to share data whit the WL700.
    Hope to hear from someone soon.
    Woffels

woffels@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Woffels; 02-08-2007 at 10:07.

Arrow update your instructions, and commentary

@ kfurge

many thanks for your excellent work and investigations !

as many others i finally worked it out to get a much better WL700g router than ASUS sold me !

there are a few issues, where i got into trouble and after reading completely this monster-thread, i found all relevant informations how to solve these issues. it seems that most people get into the same troubles if any.
    1. forget to chmod the rc.local
    2. problems when editing /opt/etc/sudoers
    3. continous reboot of the router after editing /etc/passwd while there exists another /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd file with different content.

this led me to the idea, to update your instructions, and commentary at:
    http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html
    in order to prevent others to get in troubles.

there are only a few steps to watch, my proposal for the updated instructions in Step #5:
    Code:
    Step #5, Making a better system
    1.	Install the bash package for a better shell
    2.	Install the sudo package so you don't have to login as root to perform administrative functions (you can't login as root via ssh anyway)
    3.	Add a non-root <username> account via the web interface
    4.	Give yourself <username> supreme permissions in /opt/etc/sudoers, e.g.
    	# User privilege specification
    	root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    	<username> ALL=(ALL) ALL
    5.	Add /opt/bin/bash to /etc/shells (echo "/opt/bin/bash" >> /etc/shells)
    6.	Give yourself <username> a home directory (mkdir -p /opt/home/<username>; chown <username> /opt/home/<username>)
    7.	Modify /etc/passwd to make /opt/bin/bash your login shell and /opt/home/<username> your home directory (vi /etc/passwd).  See here for a non-functional sample.
    8.	Optionally symlink yourself <username> directory into /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 if you want it accessable via cifs (Samba).  This trick won't work for ftp, nfs or the web interface.  You'll have to make your home directory in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 if you want full access from all methods. (cd /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1; ln -s /opt/home/<username>)
    9.	Within your .profile, add /opt/bin and /opt/lib to your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables
    10.	Install dropbear and start it manually at first (/opt/etc/init.d/S51dropbear), then via rc.local, see the last rc.local file below.
    11.	Test your configuration if everything works fine and that you can login using ssh too.
    12.	WARNING: Before you test a reboot of your router, change the share management to use PBSA (Password Based Share Access) , then check if there exists the file /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd and remove it (rm /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd), then switch back to UBSA (User Based Share Access) and reboot your router. If everything works well you should be able to login by telnet and ssh.
    13.	Disable telnet from rc.local to completely eliminate any chance of root logins, 
    	WARNING: test ssh login before commenting out utelnetd, otherwise you can lock out yourself of your router!
    14.	Install ncurses, ncursesw, and termcap packages for better terminal support. You may need to use the -force-overwrite option when installing ncurses.
    15.	Install man and man-pages packages, install hdparm package too, if you plan to use the APM features of your HDD

thanks again,
    best regards,

--
    tiwag
    Last edited by tiwag; 09-08-2007 at 21:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast