Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickguide installing custom firmware?

Quickguide installing custom firmware?

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a long time. I wanted to install the custom firmware, but I don't know exactly how to do that.

Can I simply update to the custom firmware through my router configuration in the webbrowser?

Are there any bugs in the custom firmware?

What are the advantages of the custom firmware until now?

Please do not tell me to search in the forum, because I have done that and still have those questions

Thx a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
    Can I simply update to the custom firmware through my router configuration in the webbrowser?
    Yes

Are there any bugs in the custom firmware?
    Not that I'm aware of. The obvious ones get resolved quickly.

What are the advantages of the custom firmware until now?
    Telnet access to router, ipkg system, upgrading torrent program, hdd spindown...etc...

Thanks a lot for the answers

Any disadvanteges in the custom firmware?

Where can I get it?

How to get latest torrent client then? Or is it already implemented?

Do I have to configure the router again or are all settings still there after the update? Especially the passwords etc.

Thanks a lot for the answers
    Any disadvanteges in the custom firmware?
    Flashing firmware can brick your router. I've never experienced it, but apparantly it can happen.

Where can I get it?
    Do a SEARCH in wl700ge forum using the words 'custom' & 'firmware'. It's the FIRST result! READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!!! The guys have put alot of work into developing this firmware. It doesn't take too long to read the posts about it!

How to get latest torrent client then? Or is it already implemented?
    You have to install it. Linux experienced recommended. http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=43194&postcount=108

Do I have to configure the router again or are all settings still there after the update? Especially the passwords etc.
    For me, the settings are all there including passwords.

LK

It seems to be a little too heavy for me. I don't have any Linux experience.
    I am a big Microsoft fan - don't kill me.

I hoped, there would just be an easy update, like just uploading a file through my browser, like the original firmware or wrt on my other linksys router.

Too bad for me, or could somebody just upload just a file?

It seems to be a little too heavy for me. I don't have any Linux experience.
    I am a big Microsoft fan - don't kill me.

I hoped, there would just be an easy update, like just uploading a file through my browser, like the original firmware or wrt on my other linksys router.

Too bad for me, or could somebody just upload just a file?
    There is this thread about getting a web-ui going:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7507

I am also going to have a go at making an interactive web page applet for the router to work with its web server and
    either enhanced-ctorrent or with rtorrent if that ever becomes available.

The aim would be to give a GUI interface to enhanced-ctorrent (for torrents) and to wget (for other downloads) similar to the one that comes with the default Asus firmware.

If I get it working well, I might even make this interface available (with password) to the WAN side, so that it would be possible remotely to get the router to start a download.

At this time, I am having trouble getting python installed properly. I would have to do a lot more learning if I had to use another scripting language instead, am I am not at all sure if even python can do what I want it to.

This project will take me a little time to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by hal2k1 View Post

At this time, I am having trouble getting python installed properly. I would have to do a lot more learning if I had to use another scripting language instead, am I am not at all sure if even python can do what I want it to.

This project will take me a little time to complete.
    Further to this topic, here is where I got stuck on this:

Code:
    $ ipkg install py-bittorrent
    Installing py-bittorrent (5.0.1-3) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/py-bittorrent_5.0.1-3_mipsel.ipk
    Installing py-twisted (2.4.0-3) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/py-twisted_2.4.0-3_mipsel.ipk
    Installing py-zope-interface (3.1.0c1-2) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/py-zope-interface_3.1.0c1-2_mipsel.ipk
    Installing py-crypto (2.0.1-2) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/py-crypto_2.0.1-2_mipsel.ipk
    Configuring py-bittorrent
    Configuring py-crypto
    Configuring py-twisted
    Configuring py-zope-interface
    Successfully terminated.
    $ bittorrent-console
    /opt/bin/python2.4: can't load library 'libz.so'
    $ bittorrent-curses
    /opt/bin/python2.4: can't load library 'libz.so'
    $ ipkg install libz
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package libz.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
    $
    Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

libz.so is in the zlib package. Note the "z" is in front.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 31-12-2006 at 16:25.

Has anyone gotten a better BT client working also what the best way to get the custom firmware going?

I do not know linux so therefore it is a bit tough for me. Whats the best way to do it along with the list of files i need?

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    libz.so is in the zlib package. Note the "z" is in front.

- K.C.
    OK, thanks. Installing zlib package (and thus getting the libz.so library installed) now gives this result:

Code:
    $ bittorrent-console
    /opt/bin/python2.4: can't load library 'libstdc++.so.6'
    From this, I make an observation, and I have a question that arises out of the lack of documentation for ipkg.

The observation is that the dependency resolution of ipkg seems to be exceedingly poor.

The question is, how can I find out the name of a package that includes a given library (such as libstdc++.so.6 above)?

I tried the whatprovides sub-command, and I got this:

Code:
    $ ipkg whatprovides libstdc++.so.6
    Successfully terminated.
    Collected errors:
    What provides libstdc++.so.6
    ... which wasn't a great deal of help.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn550 View Post
    Has anyone gotten a better BT client working also what the best way to get the custom firmware going?

I do not know linux so therefore it is a bit tough for me. Whats the best way to do it along with the list of files i need?
    I am working on getting py-bittorrent working. This package is in oleg's optware repository, but it doesn't install properly.

rtorrent is perhaps a better option, and this package is included in other optware repositories (for other targets) but not oleg's or ddwrt's optware repository.

I have only limited knowledge. Enough so that I can have a go at installing and trying out packages, but I do not know how to make pacakges of my own from source.

Sorry.

Currently, driving the custom firmware has to be done from the command line, via a console. If you have had no experience with the Linux command line, this can be quite daunting.

So far, with kfurge's custom firmware, one can get an adequate downloader and bittorrent client happening, but as I say ... so far you have to drive these via the Linux command line.

If I can get python running, this situation may be able to be improved.
    Last edited by hal2k1; 02-01-2007 at 07:52.

Installing packages

I still haven't got python running as yet, due to missing libraries. At the moment, I am stuck on:
    Code:
    /opt/bin/python2.4: can't load library 'libstdc++.so.6'
    I have noticed this page: http://www.rahul.net/dholmes/ctorrent/ctcs.html

... and that package seems to promise a web interface GUI for enhanced-ctorrent.

I noticed also that the package ctcs is included in the optware repositories, so I tried to install ctcs, and I got this:
    Code:
    $ ipkg install ctcs
    Installing ctcs (1.2-6) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/ctcs_1.2-6_mipsel.ipk
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for ctcs:
             perl
    So, it depends on perl. Hoping that this was a "too many nested dependencies" issue, I tried to install perl, and I got this:
    Code:
    $ ipkg install perl
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package perl.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
    It looks more and more like in order to be useful, the repositories need to be expanded a bit. I would be prepared to have a go at cross-compiling some package (such as perl) if I had any idea how to set up a build environment for the WL700ge optware target.

I normally run Debian Linux on my PC, so a cross-compilation under gcc should be possible to do. I would also need to be able to package the output files.

Can anyone point me to some URLs for any help here?

You guys are awesome. I can definately run things from a command line if necessary but I wish there was one concise guide to doing it as far as all the steps.

How do the downloads get going from command line? or is there a desktop program like download master?

How do the downloads get going from command line? or is there a desktop program like download master?
    K.C's guide is pretty straightforward, combine that with the tutorial section of this forum and you have pretty much all you need.

you can download from http and ftp with 'wget', and torrents with transmission and enhanced-ctorrent.

also check your other post.....

/regards
    Henrik

You guys are awesome. I can definately run things from a command line if necessary but I wish there was one concise guide to doing it as far as all the steps.

There are two posts that address your question, I hope:

http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=43194&postcount=108

http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=44027&postcount=1

Both of those posts are attempts to describe what you must do (more or less step by step) to achieve the equivalent of "Download Master" from the command line.

Use 'enhanced-ctorrent' for Bittorrent downloads, and use 'wget' for file downloads via http and ftp. Using these two commands on the command line, in conjunction with screen, isn't all that difficult and certainly should be easy enough for anyone who managed to get through the kfurge instructions to install the customised firmware in the first place.
    Last edited by hal2k1; 04-01-2007 at 14:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast