Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kamikaz 7.09 image

Hi,
    I solved the problem with the root switching.
    Btw now I cant change the nvram variables. I changed lan_netmask and lan_ipaddr using the nvram set name=value, I commit and the changes seems registered. Btw If I reboot I still have the router on default 192.168.1.1 even if the nvram variables have new values. Any suggestions?

P.s.: Do I have to add all the ppp_<> nvram variables to setup my adsl connection? login password etc? they seems missing in kamikaze but I used them in white russian.
    Is there a list of valid bvram variables somewhere, or maybe I can use nbd script to reset nvram created for white russian?

Thanks and bye.
    Pino.

EDIT: Im sorry I flooded with posts. I just read kamikaze uses uci to ser environment. So maybe nvram is ignored. Can anyone confirm this pls?
    EDIT2: Ok It seems to work with UCI. Sorry again for posting without reading...and THANKS again!
    Last edited by puppinoo; 02-12-2007 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by puppinoo View Post

So whats the problem with the missing delay. I heard it could hang the boot since the hdd is not initialized properly. Could it work for me too now?

Pino.
    It is when youre device has been off for an hour or so and it boots it cant see the hdd. So when root is on hdd it boots on jjfs. then you have to manualy set the ip again and reboot the box. But when the root is on Usb the only thing that doesn't show up is youre samba share -> so i set my copy button to reboot. But my router is on 24h so i dont think it such a problem.
    Even on a power outage with root on usb it is booting nicely exept for the samba (but ey who needs it when youre not @home)

ps nvram is only used for the initialization off the usb or hdd all the config are in files

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Hi again,
    Thanks again for reply.
    Im setting the router and im facing a problem.
    I installed pppoe packages and now my router is connected to the WAN, I can ping internet sites etc, but all my client pcs cant go online. They can ping router lan ip but cant ping internet sites. All I did was to set the def gateway of all my clients to the router ip as I do usually. Is there any additional step I have to do (install some package...). I installed x-wrt and it set me up a lot of additional uci variables and they added some network settings I havent in white russian, like type for lan (none bridged) etc, or maybe I have to initialize firewall... Actually I can't find any firewall or firewall.user files.... These are my actual network vars:

Code:
    network.eth0=switch
    network.eth0.vlan0=1 2 3 4 5*
    network.eth0.vlan1=0 5
    network.loopback=interface
    network.loopback.ifname=lo
    network.loopback.proto=static
    network.loopback.ipaddr=127.0.0.1
    network.loopback.netmask=255.0.0.0
    network.lan=interface
    network.lan.type=bridge
    network.lan.ifname=eth0.0
    network.lan.macaddr=<MY MAC>
    network.lan.proto=static
    network.lan.ipaddr=192.168.0.150
    network.lan.netmask=255.255.0.0
    network.lan.dns=193.**.**.**
    network.lan.gateway=192.168.0.150
    network.wan=interface
    network.wan.ifname=eth0.1
    network.wan.macaddr=<MY MAC>
    network.wan.proto=pppoe
    network.wan.username=<MY LOGIN>
    network.wan.password=<MY PASS>
    network.wan.mtu=1492
    network.wan.keepalive=30
    network.wan.defaultroute=1
    network.wan.ppp_redial=persist
    Can anyone help?

Thanks and bye.
    Pino.
    Last edited by puppinoo; 02-12-2007 at 23:32.

youre firewall is in /etc/firewall.user
    it must be installed first with ipkg install firewall
    on pppoe I can't help you I dont use it.But I know there is some more information about it in one of these threads here
    Last edited by back2basic; 02-12-2007 at 23:59.

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Hi again,
    Thanks again for reply.
    I installed pppoe packages and now my router is connected to the WAN, I can ping internet sites etc, but all my client pcs cant go online. They can ping router lan ip but cant ping internet sites. All I did was to set the def gateway of all my clients to the router ip as I do usually. Is there any additional step I have to do (install some package...). I installed x-wrt and it set me up a lot of additional uci variables and they added some network settings I havent in white russian, like type for lan (none bridged) etc, or maybe I have to initialize firewall... Actually I can't find any firewall or firewall.user files.... These are my actual network vars:

Code:
    network.eth0=switch
    network.eth0.vlan1=0 5
    network.lan=interface
    network.lan.type=bridge
    network.lan.proto=static
    network.wan=interface
    network.wan.proto=pppoe
    network.wan.mtu=1492
    network.wan.keepalive=30
    Can anyone help?

Thanks and bye.
    Pino.

Firstly, check that pppoe is connecting.

What is the result if you type the command "ifconfig" on its own? Do you have a pppoe entry in the listing that is produced, and does the pppoe entry have an IP address that is correct for your ISP?

If all these are correct, then your pppoe is connected. If it is not connected, then have you got pppoe configured correctly correctly in /etc/config/network file? There should be a section in /etc/config/network that looks like the settings in section 1.3.3 on this page:
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...eConfiguration
    config interface wan
    option ifname "eth0.1"
    option proto pppoe
    option username "xxxxxx"
    option password "xxxxxx"
    If pppoe is connected OK, then when you say "They can ping router lan ip but cant ping internet sites", what do you actually mean?

If you mean that, from a client PC on your lan, then
    "ping 192.168.1.1" works, but ...
    "ping google.com" doesn't work, then your problem is not necessarily with pppoe at all.

It may be that your router is connected OK, but that the dns lookup of google.com isn't working.

Have you completed all of this step?:
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/portal/content/view/36/30/
    1.6 Dhcp-server & Firewall

Written by back2basic
    Monday, 29 October 2007

Install the dhcp and firewall

ipkg install dnsmasq iptables bridge

start the firewall & dhcp server

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq start
    /etc/init.d/firewall start
    /etc/init.d/dnsmasq enable
    /etc/init.d/firewall enable
    Is dnsmasq running? Have you configured /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers ?
    Last edited by hal2k1; 04-12-2007 at 01:28.

This OpenWRT thing seems very interresting, certainly offers a bit more "room" for tweaking the box. I just have a couple of questions i hope you have the answers for :-)

How does uPnP function on OpenWRT? Is there a daemon installed by default, or do i need to download this? And what about QoS?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    This OpenWRT thing seems very interresting, certainly offers a bit more "room" for tweaking the box. I just have a couple of questions i hope you have the answers for :-)

How does uPnP function on OpenWRT? Is there a daemon installed by default, or do i need to download this? And what about QoS?
    I haven't tried it, but anyway FWIW:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/upnp

Code:
    root@OpenWrt:~# ipkg-opt list | grep upnp
    libupnp - 1.4.3-1 - The Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) SDK for Linux provides support for building UPnP-compliant control points, devices, and brid
    ... alternatively:

With miniupnpd, Only one package is required to be installed : for kamikaze users : ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/xwrt/kamika...3-1_mipsel.ipk

http://miniupnp.tuxfamily.org/

Caveat: there seem to be lots of warnings about security if you do this.

I have no knowledge at all about qos.
    Last edited by hal2k1; 06-12-2007 at 12:57.

Thank you for your reply.

Well i have no major plans in this weekend, so maybe i should just get to work with this thing, and get my hands dirty ;-)

Thank you Back2Basics for all the effort you have put into the guide and making the kamikazee image

Hi all,
    Thanks again (yes..again!) for your help. I couldnt even turn on the router properly without you guys.
    First the good news. My pppoe works nice now and fo my pc clients too.

Now a few problems I had. I left the router turned off for a few days and this morning I turned it on and no boot (I had it set to boot from usb stick) I had to reinstall the whole thing. Now it works fine How can I possibly aavoid it to happen again? and if i cant Can I just reinstall the firmware in flash and recover the installation I already have on the usb stick? Probably I need to make a backup of uci vars and nvar vars and modify the boot2 script to avoid the whole installation and just pivot root from the stick... Im not sure if I know how to do. Btw id like a confirmation its the right way to do.
    Now the last Problem Im facing. I need Samba installed. I installed samba 3 from opt repository I used the provided smb.conf in the tutorial and it starts and I can browse the share but I cant write to it (permission denied). Can anyone provider a working smb.conf? I had samba 2 installed on white russian and it worked fine but older smb.conf doesnt work anymore.

EDIT: I Switched to mount utility (I used smbmount tool with white russian) I added a samba user and configuring it into mount string now everything works!
    Now my only worry is the risk to lose everything if I turn off the router. Can anyone provide a way to create a complete backup I can easily restore? (If anyone needs I can provide my mount string and my smb.conf).

Thanks a lot for your help and time.
    Pino.
    Last edited by puppinoo; 07-12-2007 at 23:00.

I did some testing and left my router off for a day.
    It turns out that even when it is running on a usb stick it doesn't boot off the stick but instead it boots failsafe(ready light doesn't start blinking but instead it goes off after 20 sec or so.)
    after some checking i found out that the nvram boot_dev was nothing ( So nvram is resetted when our box has no power. strange there is a batery onboard of our monster ????)
    so I set it again(gave my network a static ip 192.168.1.1 and telnet):
    nvram set boot_dev = "/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1"
    nvram commit
    and rebooted the router , now it boots on usb

Now here's a solution to the problem but it's a bit risky
    on a working router I created myself a script called S99reboot in my samba share with this content:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    nvram commit
    sleep1
    reboot
    copied that to my pc and removed it from the router after that boot failsafe.
    nvram unset boot_dev
    nvram commit
    reboot

telnet to the router again and copy the scipt created into /etc/rc.d
    http://www.putty.nl/download.html I used PSCP to copy

then chmod +x /etc/rc.d/S99reboot

and than run the scrip
    Code:
    :(:(the dirty thing is when the usb fails it keeps rebooting:(:(
    I need to find a other way somehow to solve this problem

stange that youre samba didn't worked the first time did you did a chmod 777 /hdd
    Last edited by back2basic; 08-12-2007 at 00:46.

So i tried flashing with Kamikazee firmware last night, and the whole flashing part went pretty smooth

But unfortunately i encountered another problem when trying to prepare the HDD. When running the fdisk command:
    fdisk /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

Fdisk was not able to find my disc . And when doing "fdisk -l" nothing appeared. Does anyone have a clue about what i am doing wrong?

*Update*
    I just tried to do fdisk -l on the standard Asus firmware, and it reports that my disc is on:
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

So i just tried flashing with Kamikazee again, but it stills says:
    "Fdisk:
    Unable to open /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc"
    Last edited by Henrikh; 08-12-2007 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by back2basic View Post
    after some checking i found out that the nvram boot_dev was nothing ( So nvram is resetted when our box has no power. strange there is a batery onboard of our monster ????)
    so I set it again(gave my network a static ip 192.168.1.1 and telnet):
    nvram commit
    and rebooted the router , now it boots on usb
    If true That really sucks. I cant believe a modern device hasnt a decent backup battery to store minimal booting settings. How does the original firmware behave. Is there a way to hard code the nvram vars needed for boot process somewhere on the filesystem and force the device to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by back2basic View Post
    Now here's a solution to the problem but it's a bit risky
    on a working router I created myself a script called S99reboot in my samba share with this content:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    nvram commit
    sleep1
    reboot
    copied that to my pc and removed it from the router after that boot failsafe.
    nvram unset boot_dev
    nvram commit
    reboot

telnet to the router again and copy the scipt created into /etc/rc.d
    http://www.putty.nl/download.html I used PSCP to copy

then chmod +x /etc/rc.d/S99reboot

and than run the scrip
    Code:
    :(:(the dirty thing is when the usb fails it keeps rebooting:(:(
    You mean that if my usb stick gets broken or erased, the router will loop forever? I mean I can always put the router in service mode keeping pressed the ezsetup button right?
    Can't you put a condition that if fdisk -l has the mount partition reboot otherwise continue or something like that (Sorry if stupid but im very linux newbie)?

stange that youre samba didn't worked the first time did you did a chmod 777 /hdd
    It was a problem of permissions for the user. I just created a new user with password, set the user and password parameter into the mount string and above all I chowned and chgrped the folder where the samba share pointed... after this last operation, I could wrtite to the share. I use it to store sat recording from a sat decoder called dreambox. Now everything seems to work.

Now my last fundamental setting is to set the passive mode for ftp. I had it working with white russian 0.6, but once upgraded to 0.9 it stopped working. I read on openwrt forum but nobody ever had a solution. I hope it works in kamikaze. I already have a rule on iptables to set a range of ports reserved to passive. Not sure if it still work now. This afternoon Ill test. Has ayone ever tried the ftp passive mode (to fxp some file from a source to a destination using flashfxp for example)? If so can anyone provide a complete iptable rules example and say if vsftpd is good or I need a more advanced daemon, like pure-frtpd or more?

EDIT: UNFORTUNATELY I tested the streaming with samba 3 and the performnce was really poor. Video was scattering and was unwatchable..so I decided to install samba 2.0 from openwrt repository. I used my older smb.conf and performance seems good, as I had on white russian. Unfortunately it requires more resources (top shows an average of 38% while 3.0 was 25%). Too bad. Ill leave the 3.0 installed bur disabled until I can find a viable way to use it.
    EDIT2: Ok. I spent my whole day testing samba. Tried Samba 3.0, 2.0 and even Samba 2.2 from Opt and it seems to me that the performance arent as good as before when I used white russian. I even connected my old (not too much) wl500gP as client with the samba I used previously. It was good when used with White russian but it seems the performance are poorer too now that I use it as client. So my opinion is that its not related to Samba versions (except for the 3.0 which was seriously bad for me) but something related to Kamikaze. Not expert enough to realize what. I just think (but I could be wrong...need more tests) that the same exact samba configuration worked better under white russian than with kamikaze. I'll do other tests though.

Bye all.
    Pino.
    Last edited by puppinoo; 10-12-2007 at 18:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    *Update*
    I just tried to do fdisk -l on the standard Asus firmware, and it reports that my disc is on:
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

So i just tried flashing with Kamikazee again, but it stills says:
    "Fdisk:
    Unable to open /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc"
    If youre hdd doesn't showup after the firmware is installed simply type 'reboot'

Code:
    root@OpenWrt:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 2048 MB, 2048901120 bytes
    64 heads, 63 sectors/track, 992 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 = 2064384 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1   *           1         992     1999840+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1               1       30276   243191938+ 83 Linux
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2           30277       30401     1004062+ 82 Linux swap
    root@OpenWrt:~#

Hi again,
    Still configuring my router... just setup Passive mode and it seems to work... (Thank God. I wasnt able to make it work with White russian 0.9).
    A few other questions (sorry for bothering you all... I promise Ive almost done everything I need ):

1) Is it safe to leave logs point to /opt/var/log if I boot from a usb stick?... I know from my previous White russian Experience that when you boot from a flash ram or flash memory They have a limited number of writes, so log files that often write to disk should point to /tmp which points to ram and not to stick.
    2) Can anyone confirm nvram boot_wait var doesnt cause problem if set to 1. I'd like to set it up..but last time I had usb stick stop booting just after I set it up. But probably it was due to the fact I left the router powered off for many hrs.

P.s.: Still struggling with Samba. has anyone experience in successfully recording and streaming Sat video (not HD) using samba? if So any suggestion?

Bye all.
    Pino.

Hi again,
    Thanks again for reply.

Code:
    network.eth0=switch
    network.eth0.vlan1=0 5
    network.lan=interface
    network.lan.type=bridge
    network.lan.proto=static
    network.wan=interface
    network.wan.proto=pppoe
    network.wan.mtu=1492
    network.wan.keepalive=30
    Can anyone help?

Thanks and bye.
    Pino.
    Running Kamikaze 7.09, I now have the same problem: the internet is reachable from the router but not from the LAN.
    How did you solve that?

Tobias

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast