Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: alpha rt-n firmware releases

Quote Originally Posted by lly View Post
    Seems to be, et driver missing most modern ethtool ioctl's
    Well, I'll try to add support for et driver/

UPD: et driver exports tcp segmentation, udp large send and scatter-gather offloads...
    maybe too modern ethtool I've used
    Last edited by theMIROn; 15-06-2010 at 18:40.

Quote Originally Posted by theMIROn View Post
    Well, I'll try to add support for et driver
    Currently, et driver supports only commands below:
    Code:
    ETHTOOL_GSET
    ETHTOOL_SSET
    ETHTOOL_GDRVINFO
    Moreover, it uses an old 2.4 syntax rather than SET_ETHTOOL_OPS() macros, even turned off by default in Broadcom SDK.

P.S. If you done it, you can sell code back to Broadcom

P.S. If you done it, you can sell code back to Broadcom
    Yep, funny.
    So, there're no ways to manipulate offload for now.

Quote Originally Posted by theMIROn View Post
    Yep, funny.
    So, there're no ways to manipulate offload for now.
    As far as I know GSO should not depend on the ethernet driver. The basic idea is that protocol layers don't handle segments (and memory buffers) separately (it's just SW side improvement). When 10K segments needs to be handled per second (due to 1500 bytes MTU) even that matters a lot (if it can be reduced a bit). I don't know if Broadcom managed to break that.

The most important question related to the ethernet driver if it has so poor support for various offload features because of the old kernel version or because of the HW's inability. Too bad that there is no documentation for this...

It's a bit weird that Broadcom produced a driver for a kernel version that pre-dates the announcement of the chip-set by one year and has not released anything new since that. Is it really so?

Quote Originally Posted by ecaddict View Post
    As far as I know GSO should not depend on the ethernet driver.
    Sorry, I have to read documentation much deeper to agree or disagree with you.
    It's a bit weird that Broadcom produced a driver for a kernel version that pre-dates the announcement of the chip-set by one year and has not released anything new since that. Is it really so?
    Unfortunately, Broadcom tries to support single SDK for both 2.4.20 & 2.6.22 kernel versions. Due to very limited features of both obsolete kernels and since Broadcom don't want (as I can understand) to migrate to newer kernels , they simply don't implement future features.

P.S. I suspect, that due to "crisis" in top managers brains, SDK development was moved to cheaper place with cheaper programmers. As result, quality of code ...

It seems that /net/core/dev.c has code for this in dev_hard_start_xmit()/dev_queue_xmit(). Having driver support would/could though probably save some copying.

P.S. I suspect, that due to "crisis" in top managers brains, SDK development was moved to cheaper place with cheaper programmers. As result, quality of code ...
    I wonder if it can be cheaper than Linux community maintaining the drivers' code for free. Of course it would need a bit broader opening towards Linux than just releasing the code/doc. of a few selected drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by ecaddict View Post
    I wonder if it can be cheaper than Linux community maintaining the drivers' code for free. Of course it would need a bit broader opening towards Linux than just releasing the code/doc. of a few selected drivers.
    that is probably the best investment a company can ever do...
    the only problem is: other people will get to know how a specific technology works, and protecting those technologies... well, they've probably spend a lot of money on that already

In the end, it's pretty much the same as the movie "the italian job", the mini's (the car) where not sponsored by BMC (the manufacturer), since they didn't understand what a great marketing it would be.
    nowadays a lot of cars get sponsored by the companies that produce them, like in the movie "I robot" with the audi.
    I hope a similar shift will happen in computer land soon, and that other companies will open up their code a bit.
    it's inevitable that linux will grow bigger

Hey everyone.

I'm linux noobie and need some help.
    Is it possible to mount a NTFS partition with write support? If it's possible, how? System log tells me that NTFS partition is mounted read-only.

My harddisk has 4 different partitions: optware (ext3), swap, data (ext3) and data (ntfs).

The second question is that how can I enable swap? or is it even needed (will the router benefit from it)?

If anyone is kind enough to help me, I really need clear instructions what to do.

Thank's for great FW. I think it's a best of all. Before I was using Tomato from Teddy bear, but p2p download was allways too slow. Now, with this FW, DL is allways at full speed. Thank's again and keep on good work.

Can anyone confirmed, that WPA2 does not working yet. Because I think it is working for me correctly or it is some mistake.

To come back on the WiFi problem I had...
    it seems that with a few new versions flashed the wifi didn't go down.
    Perhaps it was just a bad flash
    Moreover, I don't want to go back to the old wifi settings since some (embedded) devices won't work with that

but maybe a bit vivid imaginative explanation: after flashing new firmware the router stops responding a lot of the times and the wifi led starts blinking. this puts the wifi card in a sort of state causing it to crash after a specific time
    I just find it weird that it happens now and then after a flash.

Anyway, does someone know how to make the harddrives to spin down? hdparm doesn't seem to work and my old scsi script doesn't work for the RT-N (hence it doesn't have any)

Quote Originally Posted by RdBw View Post
    Can anyone confirmed, that WPA2 does not working yet. Because I think it is working for me correctly or it is some mistake.
    Are you sure?
    with inssider you can find out if it really broadcasts at WPA2
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    To come back on the WiFi problem I had...
    WiFi driver wasn't changed at all, only parameters in r1480...
    Anyway, does someone know how to make the harddrives to spin down? hdparm doesn't seem to work and my old scsi script doesn't work for the RT-N (hence it doesn't have any)
    Have you try scsi start/stop utilities from project downloads page?

WiFi driver wasn't changed at all, only parameters in r1480...
    I know, I'm not saying the driver changed

Have you try scsi start/stop utilities from project downloads page?
    I used those utilities on my WL-500W yes, but on my RT-N16 my drives don't show up as scsi drives.

normally I'd use the utilities in that famous spindown bash script that can be found on the forums, by using this entry /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
    but I don't even have the directory /dev/scsi

or should I just use /dev/discs/disca/disc or something?

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    entry /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
    but I don't even have the directory /dev/scsi

or should I just use /dev/discs/disca/disc or something?
    2.6 kernel uses /dev/sd[a-z] entry for drives and /dev/sd[a-z][0-9][0-9] dor patritions, and /dev/discs/disca/disc is just a symlink to /dev/sda for now

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast