Thread: Asus FW 2.0.0.7 - Harddisk spinndown

Question Asus FW 2.0.0.7 - Harddisk spinndown

Hello all,

i am still testing the 2.0.0.7 FW and was wondering if it is possible to add the "spindown" ability to it. I am talking about this snippet ... so i uploaded the rc.local und move it/made the folder as said in the Guideline .. but it is still spinning.

Did any of you have experience with this or tried it with the 2.0.0.7?
    Where our calculations fail we talk about coincidence.
    Albert Einstein

rc.local will only work on the custom firmware developed by Kfurge. The source code for 2.0.0.7 is not available at the moment, so there is no custom firmware for that version.

It may be possible to spindown the hd at the telnet console on 2.0.0.7, maybe someone else has looked into it?

LK

Quote Originally Posted by LeperKing View Post
    rc.local will only work on the custom firmware developed by Kfurge. The source code for 2.0.0.7 is not available at the moment, so there is no custom firmware for that version.

It may be possible to spindown the hd at the telnet console on 2.0.0.7, maybe someone else has looked into it?

LK
    It definitly is .. cause Furge is "just" using hdparm to say "Goodnight" to the disk. In my understanding of his script and his documentation it should be possible to add the sleepmod to nearly any firmware (You may correct me if i am wrong ).

Code:
    # The killing of watchdog is necessary
    # to allow the disk to spin down (watchdog is a horribly written hack
    # anyway!)
    killall -q -9 watchdog

# Do the necessary steps so the internal HDD will spin down
    mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /shares/${pool}
    hdparm -S 180 ${internal_hdd}
    smartctl -dT ${internal_hdd}
    and as mentioned for smartctl:

Code:
    I added the following lines to by rootprep.sh build script to point /etc/fstab and /etc/shells into /tmp:

ln -sf /tmp/fstab etc/fstab
    ln -sf /tmp/shells etc/shells

Since /tmp is a ramfs, files or symlinks can be written at at any time without reflashing the router.  I decided to symlink the /tmp/fstab and /tmp/shells files to the real files (which permanently live on the HDD in /opt/etc) at boot-time via rc.local.
    So if i repeat this steps ... it should work.
    But for being a beginner with the Asus and FW 2.0.0.7 ... i am scared - any help in this case?
    Where our calculations fail we talk about coincidence.
    Albert Einstein

No, it will not work !
    Only the modified firmware executes the rc.local file. So if you write your own rc.local it will simply be ignored.

rootprep.sh is as i recall used in the building process. So once again no source, no build process, no symlink.

Sorry but just the execution of the rc.local IS THE MODIFICATION kfurge has build in the firmware.

cu
    Harald