Thread: maximum downlaod speed

maximum downlaod speed

What is the maximum download from WAN speed on your asus router? please provide the model and some comparison with the a desktop computer if you can.

SPEED: I can download with torrents at 750KB maximum, although on my desktop i get even 2MB.

CONDITIONS: I download on a usb 1.1 mp3 player with the swap space on the same partition. Will try soon with swap on another drive.

Do you thing it would be possible to get speeds just like on my desktop? I was thinking of getting a usb 2.0 hdd/memory stick for this and i don't know if it is possible.
    Last edited by dreckgos; 22-06-2007 at 10:54.

i think you better can calc on it 11mbit/8=1.375 mbit theoretically. on usb 1.1 (beneeth the 2 mbit).
    But with overhead i think you on the maximum download speed for usb 1.1
    Op zoek naar pretparken:

Pretparksite

well, i think that it is highly probable that the maximum download speed is not limited by the usb speed, by by the downland type(torrent /DC/http which ads or doesn't add overhead) and by the number of programs running (qualtity of free,available RAM) and speed of swap file. I have heard that although the Premium model has usb 2.0, it is still limited as speed because of the chipset that controlls it. This is why i think i would be nice to see a test.

PS: i use SCTCS as torrent client.

if you use an appliances that is made on usb 1.1 you cannot get usb 2.0 speed. and torrent is not a good download machine, you better can install an newsleeching program, with an good hd connected to the router.
    Op zoek naar pretparken:

Pretparksite

Quote Originally Posted by alien433 View Post
    if you use an appliances that is made on usb 1.1 you cannot get usb 2.0 speed. and torrent is not a good download machine, you better can install an newsleeching program, with an good hd connected to the router.
    Why do you say torrent is no a good download choice? On my desktop, i download from torrents the fastest (i always get some peer in my neighborhood , with the same ISP).

You are totally right with the good hd, but i was wondering if the router is capable to write on the hd with sufficient speed considering the ram, cpu limitations, so that i do not waste the money on a speedy hdd.