Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot ping router Asus wl500g

Thumbs down cannot ping router Asus wl500g

Urgent help.
    I tried to connect my computers (wired) to Asus wl-500g for 3 weeks, but none of my computers could ping the router.

All firewall and antivirus disabled. Tried DHCP and tried static IP addresses.
    Followed 192.168.1.x allocation, use same workgroup names, submask...etc.
    Ping local host is OK, computers indicate they are connected, sent and receive status OK.

I am not using the router to connect to internet, as I need to get it working as a router first amongst the computers. Read all the threads in this and other forums, follow almost all suggestions including those from Microsoft. Pretty sure the TCP/IP configuration is OK. Tested cables, applied crossover cable to test between 2 computers, which worked, can see the other parties in network place, can access shared files.

But, cannot ping router, cannot get printer to work ( parellel nor USB). Printer was set up according to instructions, but will not print - errors !. using latest firmware 1.8.1.9 (official).

Using Windows 2000 professional, checked set up , which is OK. Even re-format hard disk ,fresh re-install, did not help.
    Almost at the end of patience, preparing to throw the ASUS wl-500g away.
    Any assistance is much appreciated.
    If there is nothing that can be done, please suggest a reliable brand of router/modem.

Question Some trivial questions

Some trivial questions:

Is any of the LAN LED's on the front of your WL-500g burning when you connect a running computer?

What is the configuration of your subnet (ipconfig/all on W2K)?

Any DHCP servers running in your network?

Are you using a proxy server?

Tried the ASUS device disovery utility?
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Cool

LEDs on the panel for LAN is lit - steady, which indicates it is connected.
    IPconfig IP address 192.168.1.122
    submask 255.255.255.0
    router address 192.168.1.1
    I disabled DHCP server ( tried enable - same result)
    Not using proxy server
    Tried all sorts of configurations in Asus device discovery utility. That software sometimes does not work ( 2 out of 10 ) for no apparent reason - I did not change anything.

Thanks for your input.

You may want to consider downgrading your firmware to a lower version, the latest official firmware is apparently causing a lot of probs;

Check out the following threads:

https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=822

https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=894
    Last edited by Antiloop; 21-09-2004 at 08:17. Reason: adjusted thread link to use [thread][/thread]
    Brubber

Thumbs down

Tried downgrade firmware to lower versions. Actually tried a number, but some results. Cannot ping to router nor connect to other computers.

This product is very frustrating. It actually reminds me of another product Elite K7S5A motherboard. Similarly, it had an exceptionally good review, good value for money, huge number of features, but a significant percentage of the products do not work properly. It you can get it working, I would agree that the product is exceptionally good, packed with features at a very reasonable price

Quote Originally Posted by stepkung
    Tried downgrade firmware to lower versions. Actually tried a number, but some results. Cannot ping to router nor connect to other computers.

This product is very frustrating. It actually reminds me of another product Elite K7S5A motherboard. Similarly, it had an exceptionally good review, good value for money, huge number of features, but a significant percentage of the products do not work properly. It you can get it working, I would agree that the product is exceptionally good, packed with features at a very reasonable price
    no effense.. but how can you upgrade/downgrade the device if you can't even ping it!?

if you are not able to ping it but you can access webconfig etc than something is wrong with your pc setup not your router..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Cool

Thanks for your comments.
    It is mind-boggling. The network connection shows that it is connected. It also shows data received and sent, except it cannot ping the router. Because of this, the print server does not work, nor could it detect other computers.

I really hope that it is the PC setup which is the problem, not the router. But, I tried all sorts of configurations ( actually there is only a few, either obtain IP address automatically, or assign one within the range with same submask...etc).

Anyone who can offer me further hints or advice is much appreciated.

This forum is wonderful, as I can nail down possible causes of malfunction one by one. Hope I am getting closer to get it working.

Have you disabled the firewall (service pack 2 and 3rd party)??

can you confirm if this is working:

2 PC's connected to LAN1 and LAN2 at the WL500g switch

assign
    static IP for PC1: 192.168.1.140 netmask 255.255.255.0
    static IP for PC2: 192.168.1.150 netmask 255.255.255.0

ping PC2 from PC1 (e.g. PING 192.168.1.150 )
    and vica versa

does this work at all?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Talking

Thanks again for your kind attention.

I have set up my laptop (Windows XP) as 192.168.1.150.
    It can ping to the router ! (even with firewall on - Sygate)
    It can see the other desktop ! but cannot access as it display access right denied.

However, it cannot ping the desktop 192.168.1.140
    error mesage = request timed out.

For the desktop (Windows 2000) which I used as the main computer, set up as 192.168.1.140

It cannot ping the router,
    it cannot see the laptop,
    it cannot ping the laptop.
    error message = transmit error code 65

I think you are right, there is something wrong with my desktop setup.
    But, I don't know how to get it right as the Windows XP laptop, which set up automatically and it works.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Search the internet, it will show that error code 65 is mostly caused by firewalls.

The access rights problem might be solved if you set them up properly on the Win2k server.

Perhaps trivial;

To access the W2K from another machine you will need a user on the W2K with identical name and password as on the machine you are trying to connect from. In addition you will have to enable sharing and define at least one share in the proper way.

In addition you may need to check and configure your security policies and check if all required services are running (ICS?)

Also check out this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q316414

(Found using Google "transmit error 65 w2k") in less then a second
    Last edited by brubber; 25-09-2004 at 21:16.
    Brubber

Unhappy

Nice to know there are so many nice people there ready to offer advice.

I have tried the Microsoft advice to remove ZoneLab alarm.
    I have also set up the user from Windows XP (laptop) with the same user name and password, disabled ICS.

But still got access rights problem, and the Win2K desktop still cannot ping the router.

I shall keep trying different methods and keep an eye on this forum.
    If I am able to solve the problem, I shall post the result so others may benefit.

Thanks again, everyone.
    Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by stepkung
    Nice to know there are so many nice people there ready to offer advice.

I have tried the Microsoft advice to remove ZoneLab alarm.
    I have also set up the user from Windows XP (laptop) with the same user name and password, disabled ICS.

But still got access rights problem, and the Win2K desktop still cannot ping the router.

I shall keep trying different methods and keep an eye on this forum.
    If I am able to solve the problem, I shall post the result so others may benefit.

Thanks again, everyone.
    Any other suggestions are welcomed.
    is your XP firewall disabled too ?

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    Perhaps trivial;

To access the W2K from another machine you will need a user on the W2K with identical name and password as on the machine you are trying to connect from.
    This is not entirely true, however it is the most easy option.

You can create any user on the W2k box and give it access rights to the shared directory. Make sure you've got the the security settings correctly set up. Now, you can connect to it from any other pc. When connecting to the W2k box, it will ask for an username and password. Just enter 'W2k machine name\username' and the password and you've got access. If your W2k box is called 'my_server' and the username who's entitled to connect to the share is 'pietjepuk' then you type the username:
    Code:
    my_server\pietjepuk
    and its password.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast