Thread: Help! system can access internet but not ping each other

Help! system can access internet but not ping each other

Hi there,

I am using WL-500G with frimware 1.8.1.9. Using manual IP addresses. One computer connected thru wired ethernet (192.168.1.2) and another using wiresless (WL-167G) (192.168.1.3). They can both connect to internet without problems but they cannot see each other in neighbour and cannot even ping each other. They can both ping the router though (192.168.1.1).

I am using HomeGateway mode...Anyone what's worng here??? How to set it up correctly?

HELP !!!

sounds like even they are not bridged(is that the default?) or that routing is disabled.

Pretty Much default...what should I do?

Yes, this is pretty much after the easy setup wizard, how do I make them "Bridged" or enable routing? You mean "Port routing"?

Do I make the changes in the WL-500G? (Web page) or on the individual computers?? PLs explain

thx.

please completely turn off windows XP firewall or other firewalls if you have any

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Very Slow to start first web page

Hi,

yes, silly me, I had installed personal firewalls which blocks all traffic, reducing their security level solved the problem.

However, new problem, I found that whenever I don't access the web for a while and I load a new page, it takes a while (10-20 secs) just to load the first page, but afterwards, browsing is relatively quick.

I suspect the WL-500G disconnects from ISP and reconnect, but I see the system log only have one line about connecting to ISP.

I have entered "0" as the ISP connection time (so it should not disconnect).

Is there anything to help?

Does this behaviour still occur if you use the IP address directly instead of the dns name?

Which behaviour?

Hi,

If you mean the not-pingable behaviour, that's fixed with lowering firewall security level.

If you mean the slow-first-page behaviour, yes, it is the same when I am using static IP addresses for all connected systems.

is that what you're asking?

Quote Originally Posted by happy11G
    Hi,

If you mean the not-pingable behaviour, that's fixed with lowering firewall security level.

If you mean the slow-first-page behaviour, yes, it is the same when I am using static IP addresses for all connected systems.

is that what you're asking?
    I was referring to the slow webpages.

What I meant was: Do the pages still load slow if you enter the IP address of the server in your address bar instead of its dns name.

Example: Normally you would go to something like: http://www.tweakers.net which is translated by DNS to: http://213.239.154.35. If you browser works fast when using IP's and slow with DNS then you know in which direction to look (slow DNS servers of you ISP for example).

I see...

I don't think its not the problem of ISP' DNS, because

1) Works smooth and fast without WL-500G (direct from ISP's ASDL to computer)

2) The slowness is just for the very first page after a long idle time, afterwards, I can goto all sorts of URLs (text address) relatively quickly.