Thread: OpenWrt Firmware or Olegs 1.7.5.9-5

OpenWrt Firmware or Olegs 1.7.5.9-5

Hi

I still have running Olegs customized firmware 1.7.5.9-5 which is running really nicely so I am not really keen to change anything. Although I am always curious and I have seen the openwrt.org page... seems quite work in progress, but what is the advantage of running openwrt?

Also the packages available here:

http://openwrt.org/OpenWrtPackages

is there any way to install them without running the openwrt firmware? I have seen there is a package manager (like apt-get) that can install them?

I would like to try to install the php4 package or something like this? Anyone has some experience? Also it seems that some guys there have more interesting stuff running like Perl but as their Linksys WRT Router has no USB HD (and so no storage) they don't use it ??!!

Greetings
    Rainer

Install some packages...

as no one replies I post some packages I have found here - maybe someone knows how to install these....
    Attached Files Attached Files

ipk uses tgz

You can unpack the ipk files by renaming them to .tgz. The compressed tar containes two other tar balls. Data.tar contains the executables. Unfortunately, the packages compiled for openwrt do not run on the 1.7.9.5 distribution. They result in a segmentation fault, probably because the they are compiled against the wrong libraries. The perl ipg's can not be unpacked as I described above. The php and thttpd can. Php -h works (you can see the help), but executing a small test program results in segmentation fault.

I myself am interested to have a perl environment in the 1.7.9.5 distribution. Now I have to rely on awk (as part of a newly compiled busybox), but that is rather primitive.

Does anyone know where the perl source code can be found that generates the mipsel package?

thanks for your help had no success running Help switch works but when i do a "ps ef" no process is running....

the perl packages i googled: perl mips ipk
    and I found them here
    http://meshcube.org/feed/unstable/

donno how to extract them though

Anyway is it easier to run stuff like perl and php by running the openwrt firmware? Although I dont feel quite comfortable with it, now that its running fine with olegs firmware...

Greetz
    Rainer