Thread: Connecting WL-500G (Client Mode) to linksys WRT54G (AP)

Connecting WL-500G (Client Mode) to linksys WRT54G (AP)

Hi,

I am trying to connect the WL-500G (Client Mode) to linksys WRT54G (AP) as follows:

PC 1(192.168.2.100) -> Linksys(AP 192.168.2.254) -> Asus(Client mode WAN IP: 192.168.2.30, LAN IP:192.168.3.253) -> PC 2(192.168.3.30)

I setup the ASUS according to the discussion in https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=530
    i.e. 1. setup LAN, WAN parameters, 2. nvram set 13_x_ClientMode=2, 3. nvram commit, 4. reboot

Finally, the PC 2 can access Linksys and PC 1. However, PC 1 cannot access or even ping PC 2.

Any idea? I have disbled all setting related to firewall but still doesn't work.

Please help!!!
    Thanks,
    Dicky
    Last edited by Antiloop; 15-09-2004 at 09:37. Reason: adjusted thread link to use [thread][/thread]

Quote Originally Posted by dickyctk
    Hi,

I am trying to connect the WL-500G (Client Mode) to linksys WRT54G (AP) as follows:

PC 1(192.168.2.100) -> Linksys(AP 192.168.2.254) -> Asus(Client mode WAN IP: 192.168.2.30, LAN IP:192.168.3.253) -> PC 2(192.168.3.30)

I setup the ASUS according to the discussion in http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=wrt54g
    i.e. 1. setup LAN, WAN parameters, 2. nvram set 13_x_ClientMode=2, 3. nvram commit, 4. reboot

Finally, the PC 2 can access Linksys and PC 1. However, PC 1 cannot access or even ping PC 2.

Any idea? I have disbled all setting related to firewall but still doesn't work.

Please help!!!
    Thanks,
    Dicky
    there is nothing wrong?

it works as you have set it up

the wl500g (you say it yourself) is a CLIENT of the wrt54g
    so everything behind the wl500g will NOT be a client
    you should turn on DMZ for the second pc or something..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Thanks for your reply!

Is it related to gateway routing issue? PC 1 and PC 2 are in different subnet. Can they really ping each other without any special route setting?

As PC 1 can't ping PC 2(192.168.3.30) or even the WL-500G(192.168.2.30), it seems that the routing is only applied in one way. (PC 2(LAN) to PC 1(WAN) is OK but PC 1(WAN) to PC 2(LAN) is not OK)

Or I set something wrong in Firewall? I just disabled all firewall filters between WAN <=> WLAN <=> LAN.

Thanks again,
    Dicky

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    there is nothing wrong?

it works as you have set it up

the wl500g (you say it yourself) is a CLIENT of the wrt54g
    so everything behind the wl500g will NOT be a client
    you should turn on DMZ for the second pc or something..

You need to disable NAT

Quote Originally Posted by monnier
    You need to disable NAT
    turning on WDS would (should) be possible too

note that WPA will currently not work when using WDS(allthough i still could not manage this to verify this)

WRT54g is almost same hardware/functionallity

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hi monnier,

Thanks for your reply!

What's your meaning of NAT? Do you mean I should not use another subnet (i.e. 192.168.3.*) between PC2 and Asus? But just use the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.2.*) as that between PC1 and Asus?

Quote Originally Posted by monnier
    You need to disable NAT

Hi Antiloop,

Yes, I can build the WDS successfully. However, as I know that WDS is much slower than Client Mode. Am I correct?

As I want to see my webcam in PC 2 via Linksys from internet, I want to have enough bandwidth to do it.

Besides, my webcam always can't be accessed after running around 10 minutes of time. Any idea why?

Thanks,
    Dicky

turning on WDS would (should) be possible too

note that WPA will currently not work when using WDS(allthough i still could not manage this to verify this)

WRT54g is almost same hardware/functionallity

Hi Antiloop,

Yes, I can build the WDS successfully. However, as I know that WDS is much slower than Client Mode. Am I correct?

As I want to see my webcam in PC 2 via Linksys from internet, I want to have enough bandwidth to do it.

Besides, my webcam always can't be accessed after running around 10 minutes of time. Any idea why?

Thanks,
    Dicky
    you should measure if the speed is really slower or not (e.g. transfer files via ftp from pc1 to pc2)

ps. you do not need to greet us etc.. we all know we are greeting eachother here all the time so it's not needed

hint: supply some more information about your cam too, also a firmware version would be nice

Thanks for your advice! I will check the speed and post the result here later.

I am using Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 and latest official firmware version 1.8.1.9. It's really useless that the webcam can run for 10 minutes only and got the "couldn't connect to server" error...

Anyone have the same problem?

Dicky

you should measure if the speed is really slower or not (e.g. transfer files via ftp from pc1 to pc2)

ps. you do not need to greet us etc.. we all know we are greeting eachother here all the time so it's not needed

hint: supply some more information about your cam too, also a firmware version would be nice

I have tested the speed in WDS. I got 500 to 800KB per second. The speed is much better than what I expected.

But I still can solve the webcam problem. If nobody can help me to solve it, I may need to buy a IP webcam to replace the Qucikcam that would waste the most valuable feature of WL-500G.

Please help!!

Thanks for your advice! I will check the speed and post the result here later.

I am using Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 and latest official firmware version 1.8.1.9. It's really useless that the webcam can run for 10 minutes only and got the "couldn't connect to server" error...

Anyone have the same problem?

Dicky

I have tested the speed in WDS. I got 500 to 800KB per second. The speed is much better than what I expected.

But I still can solve the webcam problem. If nobody can help me to solve it, I may need to buy a IP webcam to replace the Qucikcam that would waste the most valuable feature of WL-500G.

Please help!!
    have you tried an older firmware version?
    1.7.5.9-5 for example?