Thread: wl-500w Crash Problem

wl-500w Crash Problem

Hi,

I have realy big problem, today is a bad day for my asus wl-500w. Everything was working fine, but at one moment connection was gone.. After a while wirelless camed back but in real connection never worked again..

I tryed to reconect wireless didtn worked, i tryed to conect via ethernet lan connection didnt worked.

My router looks very strange WAN, POWER, AIR and all LAN leds is on pernamently..

When i try to reset router, power led starts to blink. I set-up my PC ip 192.168.1.10, i disable all other interfaces except ethernet oen and still i can't access to my router, it show "cable unpluged".. so i have no ability to flash my router with firmware.

Any suggestions about this?

I will appreciate for help..

Rgrd's
    Linas

Check Russian forum.

I am having the same problem but unfortunately I can not read russian.
    When I flash the kamikaze and wait for a while, I can scan the OpenWRT SSID,
    but ping and telnet to 192.168.1.1 fails with the lan,wan & wifi...

I am also looking for some pics & help for adding the serial cable to my 500w so that I could at least get some trace to console. Does somebody know how to do that?

Can anybody sched some light on a strange death of a WL-500W

Quote Originally Posted by lamikr View Post
    I am having the same problem but unfortunately I can not read russian.
    When I flash the kamikaze and wait for a while, I can scan the OpenWRT SSID,
    but ping and telnet to 192.168.1.1 fails with the lan,wan & wifi...

I am also looking for some pics & help for adding the serial cable to my 500w so that I could at least get some trace to console. Does somebody know how to do that?
    No russian for me either. I had the same problem here, but now it's even worse.
    Some answers first:
    - Serial console cable can be connected with a ttl-serial level converter chip or use the mobile serial cable with converter included. I used Nokia's DLR-3P (10$ used).
    I connected four lines +Vcc, GND, Tx0, Rx0 115200 bps 8n1 Software flow control with windows Hyperterminal. See the log quoted below.

I tried it as shown below and now I have a 130$ plastic bookweight which is dead on all ports including the serial console. When power is applied all leds light on constantly. Problem seems to be that CFE flash command demands the last parameter "destination" even when documentation stating it's an optional parameter. And of course I have no idea what the RIGHT destination is for WL500-W.

I tried several parameters and finally got one to be syntactically correct "flash0" . I hope this will prevent some of you repeating the same WRONG destination or procedure. Well here is what didn't work for me this time. The problem is that in order to be able to access the serial port connector in the box one has to destroy the warranty seal.

And now the longer question section:

1. Does anybody know which command to use to flash original firmware back to WL500-W over serial port and CFE> prompt. Which is the right destination to use?

2. If not for the wrong flash destination... Can anybody shed some light on a strange death of a WL-500W? It would be great to be able to avoid burning the next one coming in the mail...

3. Anybody knows how to get the SMD flash removed and reprogrammed to a working firmware preferably the "kamikaze" build for WL-500W.

4. LinuxInside, can you be so nice to publish your binary image of working kamikaze firmware?

There is a guy "LinuxInside" who published a page on OpenWrt for working WL500W kamikaze build. It would be great to have a little more detailed log of his cross compiling. I'll probably be forced to publish it myself. It would be great to be able to check one's progress to be sure you're on the right track. Some way to check the firmware before trying the first upload. If the first upload succeeds you do not need a serial adapter and everybody are happy.

ASUS Serial pins. Pins checked with OpenWRT home page
    OK the same for WL500gx
    http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?at...8&d=1111592282

O 1 Rx0 . 8 Rx1
    . 2 Tx0 . 7 Tx1
    . 3 Vcc . 6 GND
    . 4 . 5 Reset

Nokia DLR3-P Data cable (NULL MODEM)

Pins Signal Colour WL-500W
    1 (3) Xmic Yellow
    2 (4) Vcc Red 3
    3 (5) RTS Brown
    4 (6) MBUS Blue
    5 (7) Rx Green 1
    6 (8) Tx Grey/White 2
    7 (9) GND Black 6

Windows free-? share-? -ware TFTP server as there was no linux at hand.

flash -noheader 192.168.1.100:WL500W_1.9.8.2_TW.trx flash0

CFE> flash -noheader 192.168.1.100:WL500W_1.9.8.2_TW.trx flash0
    Reading 192.168.1.100:WL500W_1.9.8.2_TW.trx: TFTP Client.
    TFTP_BLKLEN!!
    Done. 6840320 bytes read
    Download of 0x686000 bytes completed
    Write kernel and filesystem binary to FLASH (0xbfc40000)
    flash device 'flash0'
    Programming...
    done. 6840320 bytes written

DEAD