Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: use 2 printers at the same time

use 2 printers at the same time

Is it possible to connect two printers to my WL-500g and use the at the same time using the original Asus firmware? I have 1 HP Laserjet 1100 on LPT and 1 Canon i865 on USB. I'm using firmware 1.8.1.7. If it is possible how do I set it up?

No, read the FAQ at the ASUS site first please

according to asus it will NEVER be

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hi

The LPR solution in the Original firmware wont support this, but in the custom Firmware it is quite simple to modify the p9100d daemon call to use lp0 and lp1 on USB rather than lp0 and the hardware LPT port...
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Hi

The LPR solution in the Original firmware wont support this, but in the custom Firmware it is quite simple to modify the p9100d daemon call to use lp0 and lp1 on USB rather than lp0 and the hardware LPT port...
    the custom firmware supports this already standard out of box (current latest is 1.7.5.9cr5)
    port 9100 = for LPT printer
    port 9101 = for USB printer

i'm using this configuration myself for a few months already with success

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Ah, seems im blind .
    Thought he ment 2 USB Printers...
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Ah, seems im blind .
    Thought he ment 2 USB Printers...
    No he did mean one LPT and one USB (sometimes reading is difficult, I know )

The original question:
    Is it possible to connect two printers to my WL-500g and use the at the same time using the original Asus firmware? I have 1 HP Laserjet 1100 on LPT and 1 Canon i865 on USB. I'm using firmware 1.8.1.7. If it is possible how do I set it up?

So to clarify, according to Antiloop....

It is not possible with Asus firmware,

"No, read the FAQ at the ASUS site first please...

according to asus it will NEVER be"

but... "the custom firmware supports this already standard out of box (current latest is 1.7.5.9cr5)

i'm using this configuration myself for a few months already with success"

I'm pretty excited because I've been wondering if I could do this. I'll have to try it when I get home tonight.

BTW thanks for all of your work Antiloop.

Quote Originally Posted by biflic
    So to clarify, according to Antiloop....

It is not possible with Asus firmware,

"No, read the FAQ at the ASUS site first please...

according to asus it will NEVER be"

but... "the custom firmware supports this already standard out of box (current latest is 1.7.5.9cr5)

i'm using this configuration myself for a few months already with success"

I'm pretty excited because I've been wondering if I could do this. I'll have to try it when I get home tonight.

BTW thanks for all of your work Antiloop.
    yes it works for me, but connect 1 to LPT and 1 to USB ofcourse

and especially thank Oleg for supplying this great custom firmwares and knowledge about it

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    yes it works for me, but connect 1 to LPT and 1 to USB ofcourse

and especially thank Oleg for supplying this great custom firmwares and knowledge about it
    Yes I am looking to connect 1 to LPT and 1 to USB as well.

And...

Most certainly a big thanks goes out to Oleg as well!!

If you used a usb hub, could you print from 2 usb printers? I guessing that currently this is a no, but would it be possible in the future?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by labarks
    If you used a usb hub, could you print from 2 usb printers? I guessing that currently this is a no, but would it be possible in the future?

Thanks.
    this is already possible, see the first custom release which supports 2 printers (see the wl500g firmware releases), it notes what to do if you want to use 2 usb printers

Do I just need to run a command like this:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/p9101d -f /dev/usb/lp1 2
    (from http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=3924&postcount=4 )

I can confirm that 1 LPT and 1 USB printer will work with the custom firmwares. I have it up and working that way right now.

Don't know about 2 USB's

Quote Originally Posted by labarks
    Do I just need to run a command like this:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/p9101d -f /dev/usb/lp1 2
    (from http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=3924&postcount=4 )
    yes and then use port 9102 for this printer.

Question Please help - complete newbie

Please help me, and sorry if this has already been covered, but I have NO experience of UNIX so I'm not really sure...

I recently bought a WL-500g Deluxe (aka WL-500gx), mainly because I wanted to be able to share two USB printers. Of course, when I got it home, I discovered that it will only (natively) work with one printer, although I think it is a great router in lots of other ways.

As I understand it, I can make it work with two printers by doing the following:

1) Install Oleg's custom firmware
    Will I still have access to the features in the ASUS firmware? e.g. WPA, web interface etc.? I don't want to change the firmware and then find that I can't operate the router any more due to total lack of UNIX knowledge

2) Telnet into the router
    Can I do this vis standard Win XP telnet? Or do I need some other software. Presumably I just type "open 192.168.1.1" and login as usual?

3) Type "/usr/sbin/p9101d -f /dev/usb/lp1 2"
    Is this correct? Remember, I have no idea what this does, so would be grateful if someone would tell me exactly what I need to do!

4) Connect the two printers and set them up in RAW mode on Windows, with one printer on port 9101 and the other on 9102
    How do I know which port to use for which printer? Does it matter?

Will I have to reconfigure all the wireless settings, or will they still be stored?

Sorry to be a nuisance, and thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Is it also possible to change the login name to something other than "admin"? I have changed the password, but would feel a bit happier if the login was something other than the default as well.
    Last edited by mike_dowler; 11-10-2005 at 13:24. Reason: Remove rogue smilies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast