Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickguide installing custom firmware?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quickguide installing custom firmware?

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a long time. I wanted to install the custom firmware, but I don't know exactly how to do that.

Can I simply update to the custom firmware through my router configuration in the webbrowser?

Are there any bugs in the custom firmware?

What are the advantages of the custom firmware until now?

Please do not tell me to search in the forum, because I have done that and still have those questions

Thx a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
    Can I simply update to the custom firmware through my router configuration in the webbrowser?
    Yes

Not that I'm aware of. The obvious ones get resolved quickly.

Telnet access to router, ipkg system, upgrading torrent program, hdd spindown...etc...

Thanks a lot for the answers

Any disadvanteges in the custom firmware?

Where can I get it?

How to get latest torrent client then? Or is it already implemented?

Do I have to configure the router again or are all settings still there after the update? Especially the passwords etc.

Thanks a lot for the answers
    Any disadvanteges in the custom firmware?
    Flashing firmware can brick your router. I've never experienced it, but apparantly it can happen.

Where can I get it?
    Do a SEARCH in wl700ge forum using the words 'custom' & 'firmware'. It's the FIRST result! READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!!! The guys have put alot of work into developing this firmware. It doesn't take too long to read the posts about it!

How to get latest torrent client then? Or is it already implemented?
    You have to install it. Linux experienced recommended. http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=43194&postcount=108

Do I have to configure the router again or are all settings still there after the update? Especially the passwords etc.
    For me, the settings are all there including passwords.

LK

It seems to be a little too heavy for me. I don't have any Linux experience.
    I am a big Microsoft fan - don't kill me.

I hoped, there would just be an easy update, like just uploading a file through my browser, like the original firmware or wrt on my other linksys router.

Too bad for me, or could somebody just upload just a file?

It seems to be a little too heavy for me. I don't have any Linux experience.
    I am a big Microsoft fan - don't kill me.

I hoped, there would just be an easy update, like just uploading a file through my browser, like the original firmware or wrt on my other linksys router.

Too bad for me, or could somebody just upload just a file?
    There is this thread about getting a web-ui going:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7507

I am also going to have a go at making an interactive web page applet for the router to work with its web server and
    either enhanced-ctorrent or with rtorrent if that ever becomes available.

The aim would be to give a GUI interface to enhanced-ctorrent (for torrents) and to wget (for other downloads) similar to the one that comes with the default Asus firmware.

If I get it working well, I might even make this interface available (with password) to the WAN side, so that it would be possible remotely to get the router to start a download.

At this time, I am having trouble getting python installed properly. I would have to do a lot more learning if I had to use another scripting language instead, am I am not at all sure if even python can do what I want it to.

This project will take me a little time to complete.

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a long time. I wanted to install the custom firmware, but I don't know exactly how to do that.

Please do not tell me to search in the forum, because I have done that and still have those questions

Thx a lot
    I hope this will help you.
    I have just fill the instructions to instal the custom firmware by printscreen...
    It work fine for me !
    Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeromv; 23-01-2007 at 20:13.

Great job jeromv

Great job jeromv! Do you have an html version I could use as the basis for updating the extremely bland existing page?

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Great job jeromv! Do you have an html version I could use as the basis for updating the extremely bland existing page?

- K.C.
    Ok I have made an html version.
    I haven't got printscreen for the last steps because i wasn't be able to do them

I haven't find your email adress so i post it there...
    Can you confirm me when you have it and if it's good for you ?

Regards
    Jerome
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi folks,

actullay you can forget about this post - just read it if you're facing the same problem which was solved after downloading the WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas file again.

I simple can't get WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas installed.
    At the moment I have the original Asus 1.0.4.6 firmware installed on the router and following all the different upgrading FAQ I always get the same error message from the firmware restoration tool
    It does not want to write the backup on c:\ but tells me it can't write in a temp-directory on my PC - please see attached picture.

Anybody a hint ?

Best regards,

Extreme

P.S.: up- or down-grading the original firmware is no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Extreme; 18-02-2007 at 19:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Hi folks,

actullay you can forget about this post - just read it if you're facing the same problem which was solved after downloading the WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas file again.

I simple can't get WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas installed.
    At the moment I have the original Asus 1.0.4.6 firmware installed on the router and following all the different upgrading FAQ I always get the same error message from the firmware restoration tool
    It does not want to write the backup on c:\ but tells me it can't write in a temp-directory on my PC - please see attached picture.

Anybody a hint ?

Best regards,

Extreme

P.S.: up- or down-grading the original firmware is no problem.
    Why not just use the firmware update util in the web config gui??? It has always worked for me.

ANd where can I donwload it? Maybe I missed that part.... sorry!

http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700g.html

Search for profile. You'll have to rename the file on the website from profile to .profile.

- K.C.

Hi kfurge,

I am simply toooooooooo stupid.
    Everything works fine except the .profile file.
    Where do I have to put it ?
    Seems that the WL-700GE ignores that it is there
    Can't place it in /etc/ of course (where it should be in a standard system I think) and in /opt/etc/ it does not help yet ...

Regards and thanks in advance,

Extreme

mount -o bind /opt/etc/profile /etc/profile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast