Thread: custom firmware and dnsmasq

custom firmware and dnsmasq

Hi all!

I installed kfurge's custom firmware on my WL-700gE (@kfurge: thx for the great work so far!) and wanted to use the router as a small dns server for my little home network. I first tried to edit rc.local so that it first copied a custom hosts file to the /tmp folder (replacing the original one) and then restarted dnsmasq. This didn't really work well so I re-installed dnsmasq using ipkg and changed its configuration using /opt/etc/dnsmasq.conf. I then edited rc.local to kill both udhcpd and dnsmasq and start the newly installed dnsmasq which should then work as dhcp as well as dns server.

At first that worked perfectly but after a while I wasn't able to resolve names from my local network. Looking at the running processes I found that dnsmasq had been killed and the original dnsmasq as well as udhcpd had been started again.

So far I have no idea whatsoever what restartet the original processes as I don't even find the start script that initially starts them. Has anyone any similar problems?

HeadCrash

Kfurge's firmware is basically a modified ASUS version - it seems the ASUS firmware had a checker in it to replace key files at certain time intervals, you will probably need to setup a cronjob to kill off the newer daemons and restart dnsmasq. Although I never had that particular problem with dhcp servers on the kfurge firmware...

Quote Originally Posted by HeadCrash View Post
    At first that worked perfectly but after a while I wasn't able to resolve names from my local network. Looking at the running processes I found that dnsmasq had been killed and the original dnsmasq as well as udhcpd had been started again.

So far I have no idea whatsoever what restartet the original processes as I don't even find the start script that initially starts them. Has anyone any similar problems?

HeadCrash
    I have had somewhat similar problems.

Everything is working fine for a week or so, and suddenly there are problems with dnsmasq, and udhcpd is mysteriously running.

What I have done in the past is kill udhcpd and restart dnsmasq.