Thread: Raid1 (mirroring)... recovery from crash.

Question Raid1 (mirroring)... recovery from crash.

So, the unit boasts raid1 mirroring. Some have invoked this, which is all fine and good...

Has anyone gone thru (or simulated) a crash of the primary drive and gone thru the motions of recovery? Do you swap the physical drives (put the external into the router and reboot)? Do you replace the damaged drive and the system then "restores" from the mirror once a new internal drive has been inserted?

Thoughts?

Post How to recover from a mirror

Quote Originally Posted by medsource View Post
    So, the unit boasts raid1 mirroring. Some have invoked this, which is all fine and good...

Has anyone gone thru (or simulated) a crash of the primary drive and gone thru the motions of recovery? Do you swap the physical drives (put the external into the router and reboot)? Do you replace the damaged drive and the system then "restores" from the mirror once a new internal drive has been inserted?

Thoughts?
    I have had a crash, and that resulted in both drives red and unallocated (not a usual situation, normally the mirror would be allocated, blue). Now I could define a mirror and choose which one is the base, and which one is the mirror.
    So, you replace the internal drive and remirror it manually, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    I have had a crash, and that resulted in both drives red and unallocated (not a usual situation, normally the mirror would be allocated, blue). Now I could define a mirror and choose which one is the base, and which one is the mirror.
    So, you replace the internal drive and remirror it manually, I guess.
    So... you replaced the internal drive, went thru the GUI to the add/drives/mirror section, added the "fresh" internal drive as a mirror and you were prompted to declare one drive as the base (in this case the external), the system churned on the data (for however long it took to propagate the data) and then both drives reported active status (eg blue in the GUI)??? Is that correct???

Smile How to remirror

Quote Originally Posted by medsource View Post
    So... you replaced the internal drive, went thru the GUI to the add/drives/mirror section, added the "fresh" internal drive as a mirror and you were prompted to declare one drive as the base (in this case the external), the system churned on the data (for however long it took to propagate the data) and then both drives reported active status (eg blue in the GUI)??? Is that correct???
    Well, almost.
    Keep in mind that I did not actually perform this, BUT I got the options.
    Second, if the internal drive fails, you would replace it with the external mirror. Then buy yourself a new external drive, declare the internal as a base, and the new external drive as a mirror. And on you go.
    If you do it the other way around, the unit would complain and not boot when the external drive is absent.

Marc