Thread: anyone get the USB print server to work?

anyone get the USB print server to work?

I have connected my hp to the router by usb. Its found in the web config and in the ip'd folder as per the directions in the manual. However, I can never access or print to this location of my printer, it hangs or locks up whatever program is trying to print through it.
    Any ideas?

Since my printer has a network port as well I may just go back to that method but initially it couldnt find it.

Thanks,
    Chris

It's working fine for me. I have hooked up a Brother HL-2030 to my wl700gE and as soon as I had assigned the printer volume thingy in the printer setup pages on the router, it worked without a hitch. I find it particularly useful as the HL-2030 does not have a lan interface.

What printer model is causing you trouble? What firmware are you running?

firmware 1.0.4.1 still downloading the newest after 15hrs.
    hp 2840 color laser is the issue. volume gets assigned but no programs recognize it.

You have setup the printer from Control panel -> printers, right? Just checking.

15 hours to download? Are you sure you're downloading the firmware (~17mb) and not the source code (~400mb)?

added HP Deskjet 882C

just an fyi i am sharing an hp

as per the manual navigate to Applications -> Printer in the web config. if printer is recognized assign to volume. next add printer through Windows; browse/search network and select, install drivers... presto.

As an alternative to starting a new printer thread, I thought I might resurrect this one.

Last night I hooked up my Epson Stylus-CX4800 to the WL-700g and added it into two of my laptops. It worked fine on one (XP Pro), and didn't on the other (XP Home).

This morning I got up and tried the working laptop again, which once again printed fine, however, when I went to the admin printer web page it said that no printer was connected. Anyone else have this issue as well? How could I print if the router doesn't think there is a printer connected?

Would it be a correct comment if I said that the Admin GUI seems to be less than reliable?

Hacksaw.

I noticed this flaky behavior early on until I killed watchdog. After that, the configuration page never wavered (going on many months now).

One minor annoyance is that you must visit the configuration page every time the router is rebooted in order to restart printd. I tried starting printd from rc.local, but it didn't work so I guess it must get some magic setting passed to it.

It's still on my to-do list to get to the bottom of that one. If you beat me to it, please post what you discover.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    I noticed this flaky behavior early on until I killed watchdog. After that, the configuration page never wavered (going on many months now).
    I assume you mean the command "killall -q -9 watchdog" in the rc.local file? I have already done that, but still seem to encounter the error. I will check into it a bit more. I gave up on the one laptop as it kept getting communication errors even though I could mount the share :-/

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    One minor annoyance is that you must visit the configuration page every time the router is rebooted in order to restart printd. I tried starting printd from rc.local, but it didn't work so I guess it must get some magic setting passed to it.

It's still on my to-do list to get to the bottom of that one. If you beat me to it, please post what you discover.
    I will look into this one this evening.

Hacksaw.

After having the same Problems (printer not connected, printd gone, ...) i have completly switched to cups, which is ( in my opinion) the best possible solution for *ix, Mac OS X, and windows. there are a lof of tutorials for cups on the web, you have a nice web interface on localhost:631 and it simply works.

cu harald

Quote Originally Posted by haraldrt View Post
    After having the same Problems (printer not connected, printd gone, ...) i have completly switched to cups, which is ( in my opinion) the best possible solution for *ix, Mac OS X, and windows. there are a lof of tutorials for cups on the web, you have a nice web interface on localhost:631 and it simply works.
    Any chance you could post your configuration steps for the WL-700gE? I had looked at cups on my Linux server previously, but never got to the point of going through the setup as I decided to by a router with print server capabilities. :-)

Thanks,
    Hacksaw.
    http://hacksaw.dnsalias.org - my WL-700gE in action.
    http://thecomichaven.com - my favorite site!