Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wondershaper QoS discussion

Angry

Has anyone got Wondershaper working on WL-500gx?

When I run:
    Code:
    /sbin/wshaper start "eth0" 700 100
    it sets download on LAN to 100kbps!!!

Furthermore, I've noticed that all of the download traffic on the LAN interface is measured as UPLOAD on the WAN (for WLAN everything is fine and wondershaper is working correctly only when there is no traffic on the LAN interface).

Please help

Quote Originally Posted by xection
    Has anyone got Wondershaper working on WL-500gx?
    Seems like nobody read my question or nobody made Wondershaper to work on gx... well, it probably works if you're using ppp connection. But, I'm using static IP address.

I've done some research (with snmp) and found out that eth0 interface is logging all of the traffic on UTP ports, no matter if it comes from/to LAN or WAN.
    On the other hand, interface eth0.1 (LAN) which is in fact a VLAN on interface eth0 is logging LAN traffic correctly. So my idea is to solve this:
    1. make another VLAN interface on eth0 (with command: vconfig add eth0 2)
    2. ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
    3. ifconfig eth0.2 address 192.168.254.5 up (192.168.254.5 is my WAN ip address)
    4. to flush all of the ip tables
    5. to insert all of the rules again substituting eth0 with new eth0.2

now WAN port would be eth0.2 and not eth0. and wondershaper would work with /sbin/wshaper start "eth0.2" 700 100 .

Is there any way to switch eth0 with eth0.2 without flushing iptables?

So, I'm not a linux guru... just want to ask is this the way to do it?, before I try this (and possibly screw something).

Btw, I'm using firmware 1.9.2.7-5a.

is there a way to assign port to a vlan?

there is admcfg on openwrt but gx is not using same chip.

Wait for 1.9.2.7-6 release it would contain the same vlan interfaces, just like wrt54g has.

great, can't wait

Question wshaper : How to prevent it from slowing down LAN file transfers?

I don't know what the Asus WL500G is (I assume it's an ADSL router/modem), but I googled for Wonder Shaper discussion groups, and since people here seem knowledgeable about Wonder Shaper, I thought I might as well ask here. (To be honest, there were a lot of posts, and I didn't read them all. The first post seemed to start in the middle of a discussion.)

I'm referring to the Wonder Shaper script published at http://lartc.org/wondershaper/.

I have two computers, a server (Fedora Core 3) that I use as an experimental apache server (http://marco75.no-ip.info) and a bit torrent client, and a workstation (Windows XP).
    They connect through a 5 port switch to an ADSL router/modem.

My ADSL connection speed is 1500/256 kbps downstream/upstream

When I apply the /usr/bin/wshaper script, it prevents the bit torrent client (Azureus) from flooding the router's queue, stabilizing it. However, this makes samba traffic between server and workstation really slow, like Internet speeds in fact.

I have edited the top of the wshaper script like so:

DOWNLINK=1400
    UPLINK=240
    DEV=eth0

How do I prevent the script from throttling SAMBA packets (TCP port 401, I believe)?
    Also, web server traffic should be given priority over P2P traffic.

Thanks for Reading.

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Wait for 1.9.2.7-6 release it would contain the same vlan interfaces, just like wrt54g has.
    would it be possible to implement support for all 16 vlans to be set through nvram?

When I set the following variables, vlan2 is not created, compared to OpenWRT.

Code:
    [asus]$ nvram show | grep ^vlan
    vlan2ports=1 5
    vlan0ports=2 3 4 5*
    vlan2hwname=et0
    vlan_enable=1
    vlan1hwname=et0
    vlan1ports=0 5
    vlan0hwname=et0

Just checked on this - it's there. Type ifconfig -a to check all available interfaces. Remember to ifconfig vlan2 up and assign IP address.

Other sources for WL500g WIKI? - WONDERSHAPER

Can anybody point me where to find the WL500 WIKI pages?

I am trying yo figure out how to configure wondershaper. I've read the documentation I found on the script on othr places, but need to get more backgroung on its use on the WL500 (establish the difference between the different DEV's for example).

I'm not used to daily work with linux but try to keep an open mind. If there is any other well documented reference on wondershaper and related topics I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

hi

This part is absurdity, this part i removed. But i think in HTB which is implemented on my asus is not suported filter FW? is it posible?

Quote Originally Posted by WiziPok
    Hi,
    And what about to try using this part of code:

Code:
    wshaper start $IF 422 82
    wshaper start $A 82 422
    WiZiPoK

I got it to work, but got a couple to questions so i can tweak it to suit my needs

According to docum.org rate is the garanteed bandwidth the class will get, so its easy to understand how the bandwidth will be devided when all the child classes adds up to a 100%. But can someone explain how it will be devided with the default setup ? As far as i can see class 1:10 gets 100%, 1:20 gets 90% and 1:30 gets 80%.

Also if you set a rate to 0kbit, will it then only get bandwidth when there is something to spare ?

I want to put Battlefield 2 into my high priority class. I sorta understand how i can define one and one port, but can you define a port range ? BF2 uses port 1500-4999 + a few others, defining each port one by one will take forever. Could something like this work ?

Code:
    tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
           match ip dport 1500:4999 0xffff \
           match ip protocol 17 0xff \
           flowid 1:10
    And im a bit puzzeled about the 0xffff part after the ports, its suppose to be a mask (?), so i figure its 255 something. Can anyone explain this a bit further or does anyone have a link so i can try to figure out by myself.
    Is the "match ip protocol 17 0xff" to match UDP packets ? If so is there a link to where i can get some more info on the different option on this parameter ?

Thanks in advance for any help i can get

Edit:

I think i figured out the BF2 port issue, i added these two filters. Do they look ok ?

UPD ports
    Code:
           match ip dport 1500:4999,27900,29900 0xffff \
    TCP ports
    Code:
           match ip dport 29900:29901,28910 0xffff \
           match ip protocol tcp 0xff \
    Last edited by Crowly; 30-10-2005 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowly
    According to docum.org rate is the garanteed bandwidth the class will get, so its easy to understand how the bandwidth will be devided when all the child classes adds up to a 100%. But can someone explain how it will be devided with the default setup ? As far as i can see class 1:10 gets 100%, 1:20 gets 90% and 1:30 gets 80%.
    Where do you see that?
    Also if you set a rate to 0kbit, will it then only get bandwidth when there is something to spare ?
    Dunno, see: http://www.docum.org/docum.org/docs/ But using the 'ceil' parameter you can let a class borrow bandwith (up to the 'ceil' value) from other classes who have unused bandwith.
    I want to put Battlefield 2 into my high priority class. I sorta understand how i can define one and one port, but can you define a port range ? BF2 uses port 1500-4999 + a few others, defining each port one by one will take forever. Could something like this work ?
    See docum again
    Code:
           match ip dport 1500:4999 0xffff \
    And im a bit puzzeled about the 0xffff part after the ports, its suppose to be a mask (?), so i figure its 255 something. Can anyone explain this a bit further or does anyone have a link so i can try to figure out by myself.
    Yes, this is a bitmask and is used to tell which bits in the port number should match using logical AND operator (0xffff = all 32 bits, 0xff = 16 bits).
    Is the "match ip protocol 17 0xff" to match UDP packets ? If so is there a link to where i can get some more info on the different option on this parameter ?
    Yes, afaik. For more info see docu again

I think i figured out the BF2 port issue, i added these two filters. Do they look ok ?

UPD ports
    Code:
           match ip dport 1500:4999,27900,29900 0xffff \
    TCP ports
    Code:
           match ip dport 29900:29901,28910 0xffff \
           match ip protocol tcp 0xff \
    Sorry, it's been too long since I wrestled with wondershaper, I really can't see if this is bullocks or correct....
    Last edited by Styno; 30-10-2005 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Where do you see that?
    Dunno, see: http://www.docum.org/docum.org/docs/ But using the 'ceil' parameter you can let a class borrow bandwith (up to the 'ceil' value) from other classes who have unused bandwith.
    See docum again
    docum.org says this about rate:
    The rate of a class is the guaranteed bandwidth the class will get.
    If you add more then 1 subclass, make sure that the sum of the rates of the child class is equal or smaller then the rate of the parent. You don't have to follow this rule, but it's easier to understand what will happen if you do so.
    tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate $((9*$UPLINK/10))kbit burst 6k prio 2 sets the rate to 90% or 9/10 of the UPLINK value, tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:30 htb rate $((8*$UPLINK)/10)kbit burst 6k prio 2 sets the rate to 80% or 8/10 and tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate ${UPLINK}kbit burst 6k prio 1 gets the full/100% UPLINK value as rate. As far as i can understand it 1:10, 1:20 and 1:30 are child classes or 1:, and the sum of the childs are greater than parent 1: UPLINK. Since docum.org didnt have any examples that covered this i just wondered how it would be devided.
    But i guess it works, since most of the sites i found with google seem to use this basic script.

But i just started to read up on this a few days ago, so i could be all wrong

high priority for VoIP on WL-500g

Hi,

it seems to be pretty quiet in this thread...

I'm still using my old WL-500g (at the moment with Oleg's 1.9.2.7-7e) and I'm very happy with it.

Now I wanted to teach my WL-500g to prioritize the VoIP traffic from an ATA connected to one of the LAN ports. My first try was to do it by using "Bandwith Management" (over the WEB interface) but I failed because of the upload policy. I have reserved 100 kb min. for the port 5004 (RTP) but it didn't work, I don't know why...

My second try was to do it by using the wondershaper script. So I did a copy from "/sbin/wshaper" to "/usr/local/sbin/wshaper", then I created a new executable script-file "/usr/local/sbin/post-firewall" and I filled it with
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/sbin/wshaper start "$1" 1300 300
    My internet connection has 1024/256 kbps, but starting the script with values like "1000 250" has reduced my download speed to 700 - 800 kbps.

Then I modified (or let me say I tried to modify ) the wshaper script for a prioritization of the VoIP traffic. I didn't want to define som new priority clases, I just wanted to save some time and to use the script stuture as is. So I added following lines to the script:
    Code:
    # high priority for VoIP traffic
    tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
       match ip tos 0x68 0xff \
       match ip protocol 0x11 0xff \

tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
       match ip tos 0xb8 0xff \
       match ip protocol 0x11 0xff \
    I'm not really sure, if this lazy modification is enough for solving my problem or not. Wat do you think about this modification?

In fact, I couldn't solve my problem by using wondershaper yet. As soon as I start an upload (FTP, SMTP, ...) from my computer, my voice on the phone becomes stuttering. I also tried to reduce the upload speed at the script-call (like this: /usr/local/sbin wshaper start eth1 1000 180) and I tried alternatley to set the IP of my PC to low priority by using $5 and $6 (like this: /usr/local/sbin wshaper start eth1 1300 300 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.100) but it didn't work either.

Does wondershaper work on WL-500g at all? Do it probably work only on Deluxe version? Please help me to get it running correctly!

regards

Robert
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by akbor; 26-08-2006 at 11:43.
    ISP: TV Cable 50/5 Mbit
    Modem: Arris Touchstone TM822S
    "NAS": 1000 GB 2.5" HDD, EXT4, (USB @ RT-AC87U)
    Router: Asus RT-AC87U 380.68 (Merlin build), vsftpd, Samba3, NFS, Transmission, PyLoad...)
    Clients: mittlerweile unzählige...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast