Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firmware v1.7.5.9 CR4

Question SHaping???

Hi

I want to ask if it's possible to make a per IP shaping with this firmware.
    for example, i want to shape user with ip 10.0.0.1 to 64kbit/32kbit,
    user with ip 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 to 128kbit/64kbit....etc.

Could you send me config for this example if it's possible..

Thankx
    Pipos (2xWL-500g, WDS-only mode, used as backbone for MAN network; 1xWL-500g in Client Mode with NAT)

Quote Originally Posted by pipos
    Hi

yes. Do it youself, firmware already includes everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by pipos
    Hi

Could you send me config for this example if it's possible..

Thankx
    I'll try to spend some time on it this evening (except when its good weather) and make a WIKI page for it. So please check back in a coupple of days

Wiki page is up here : http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/PackageWondershaper. Everybody is invited to add his/her knowledge here.

All Questions and remarks on Wondershaper can go here
    Last edited by Styno; 17-08-2004 at 22:53.

Question I don't get it 100%, help me for not frying my router :)

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Wiki page is up here : http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/PackageWondershaper. Everybody is invited to add his/her knowledge here.

All Questions and remarks on Wondershaper can go here
    Thanks for the WIKI page and thanks to Oleg for this firmware.
    I don't understand something:

You speak on the WIKI about "For old BootCmd users" and "For post-boot users". I don't know which one I have to use. I have been forwarded by Oleg to Wondershaper from other thread because the problem related to WAN port dying. ATM the only configuration that my router has was made in the web admin interface http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp :

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full"
    nvram commit

I guess that the Wondershaper activation commands can be inserted in this web admin interface as well right?

Questions:

1. Will these commands be permanently configured to execute automatically at boot time as the ones above?
    2. My configuration is ADSL DHCP only (no PPPoE) 2048/256. These the values that I have to use, right?

Looking my previous commands I guess that I have to use (please correct me if I am wrong):

nvram bootCmd1="/init/wshaper eth1 2048 256"
    nvram commit

But you say that this "is now obsoleted by post-boot script". I am not sure how to use the thing in "post-boot script" way.

I apreciate the help. It would be nice to explain this topic with a little more detail for clarifying doubts. There are many of us that like to try Wondershaper for solving issues like the WAN port dying one, but the thing looks a little complex to use, and I am sure it is not.

Okay, fair question. I try to simplify the tech talk in this forum on the WIKI page in order to assist newbie's (NOFI) in using as much functionality as possible. It seems there are still a few blind spots here and there . I'll try to fill in some in the WIKI page...

For now: You are really close to the answer. BootCmd's are the way Asus lets us save configuration options between reboots. Since Oleg added squashfs to the firmware, there is some room left for a configuration partition in the flash of the router, by implementing flashfs. This partion is by default empty but you can add post-boot configuration files there, hence the 'post-boot users'. The post-boot method is cleaner, more efficient and more flexible then the bootCmd's. However, there is still a drawback: you have to do the configuration using telnet on the router itself using an editor like vi.

Hope this helps Oleg has also some info on the post-boot stuff here.

PS. Read the first post and the content of its links, they are very useful!

in order to assist newbie's (NOFI)!
    No offence m8 I consider myself less than a newbie for Linux, my first contact with Tux was after buying this router .

You are really close to the answer. BootCmd's are the way Asus lets us save configuration options between reboots.
    and I preffer to continue using them for now if they provide the same functionality and don't have any drawbacks or performance hits, I understand the structure of these commands already and I have a ton of things to do ATM that make virtually immpossible for me to dedicate the time for learning the post-boot method. I will wait for your updated version of the WIKI and then I will maybe try the other method. Probably in the weekend I can dedicate myself to study the post-booting way that looks very interesting and flexible.

However, there is still a drawback: you have to do the configuration using telnet on the router itself using an editor like vi.
    Exactly this is what I am speaking about This is the first time that I hear about "vi". The thing sounds like a radioactive stuff, "dangerous in the wrong hands"

Anyway: Can I use safety the commands that I posted up? How low must the speed values be compared to my total down/up speeds? If I have 2048/256 can I use something like 2012/220, leaving a free 36k channel up/down for the use of QoS? Or is this too much and I could go to lets say a 16k channel up/down? My main use is: Heavy downloading / uploading using P2P (bittorrent with Azureus), at the same time surf and mail (the usual stuff)

Thanks for the answers.
    Last edited by Thorz; 18-08-2004 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorz
    Anyway: Can I use safety the commands that I posted up? How low must the speed values be compared to my total down/up speeds? If I have 2048/256 can I use something like 2012/220, leaving a free 36k channel up/down for the use of QoS? Or is this too much and I could go to lets say a 16k channel up/down? My main use is: Heavy downloading / uploading using P2P (bittorrent with Azureus), at the same time surf and mail (the usual stuff)

Thanks for the answers.
    You can use:
    Code:
    nvram bootCmd1="/init/wshaper eth1 2048 256" 
    nvram commit
    to setup the QoS service AFAIK.

The comments in the script state you should 'play' with the upload/download speeds for optimal performance, but a 16k headroom should be a good starter. Good luck.

PS. Further Wondershaper questions here please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12