Thread: Call script from post-boot and not returing?

Call script from post-boot and not returing?

Hi,

I’m running a script that I call from post-boot, the script I call is used to poll a directory and will never end. I noticed that calling the script keeps post-boot in the PS list I’m assuming because the script doesn’t return back to post-boot.

My question is, is there a way that I can call a script from another script without waiting for the called script to finish?

Hope that all makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by scriptman View Post
    Hi,

I’m running a script that I call from post-boot, the script I call is used to poll a directory and will never end. I noticed that calling the script keeps post-boot in the PS list I’m assuming because the script doesn’t return back to post-boot.

My question is, is there a way that I can call a script from another script without waiting for the called script to finish?

Hope that all makes sense?
    You must run that script in background. Example: ./myscript.sh &
    use after the name of script. Ampersand will make it to go to background. But maybe better thing to do is to run your script from inittab or /etc/init.d.

Quote Originally Posted by vlx View Post
    You must run that script in background. Example: ./myscript.sh &
    use after the name of script. Ampersand will make it to go to background. But maybe better thing to do is to run your script from inittab or /etc/init.d.
    thanks VLX that worked!!