Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New 1.0.4.6 based custom firmware

at first: thanks for kfurge work on the firmware ;-)

i have less linux knowledge and i don't know much about how the router works. but i tried to install the custom firmware. i followed kfurge's installing guide, and i completed all the steps in step 3 (busybox, ipkg, etc)

i tried to install dropbear. then i restarted the router and now i have the old version of busybox etc and i think i have to do step 3 again.

now my question: is this normal or i have i made something wrong to save the settings and the files?

i hope that nobody asked that already.

thanks for a answer.

grat182

Quote Originally Posted by gratitude182 View Post
    i tried to install dropbear. then i restarted the router and now i have the old version of busybox etc and i think i have to do step 3 again.
    you are not saving your paths between each reboot so each time you have to type:
    export PATH=/opt/bin:${PATH}
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

to void this install bash and put those two lines in your .profile file in your home directory.
    http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/profile

it is described in step 5.9

/regards
    Henrik

thanks for the answer henrik. now i have again the new installed busybox etc.

but could someone tell me this:

i have done all steps from 5 1-9 except 3 and 9.

3) how can i give me supreme permissions?

9) what is meant with .profile? is the path written to rc.local (i don't think so). what have i to do to add the enviroment variables?

i excuse me again that i am so a newbie.
    Last edited by gratitude182; 10-01-2007 at 00:49.

3) you need to edit /opt/etc/sudoers (it should be there if you did step 2)

under #user privilege specification edit it so it says :
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    yourusernamehere ALL=(ALL) ALL

9) '.profile' is a file, which is run each time you log in. edit '.profile' ... in that file you put the content that kfurge has in his sample file.

/regards
    Henrik
    Last edited by n00ben; 09-01-2007 at 22:36.

USB memory instead of HDD spin down

kfurge,

could it be possible to use a USB memory stick for storing the needed files (OS system) instead of the HDD. If possible (I'm not an expert) you’ve solved the problems around the spin down of the HDD. The HDD has its own function for this.

Kind regards,

Gert-Jan

Quote Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
    could it be possible to use a USB memory stick for storing the needed files (OS system) instead of the HDD.
    Yes, it's certainly possible. I would guess doing this would involve modifying the bootloader, and reconfiguring pivot-root to boot from a different physical device. I considered doing this myself. However, it is not trivial and is not something I'm prepared to experiment with on my box since I actually use it.

If I find another box on sale, I might buy it for experimentation... Until then, I can't do anything quite this extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
    If possible (I'm not an expert) you’ve solved the problems around the spin down of the HDD. The HDD has its own function for this.
    Sorry, I don't quite understand...

The HDD has to be configured to spin down. It won't do so automatically.

FWIW, I've actually stopped spinning down my HDD. I didn't like how long it takes to spin up. I didn't like the mechanical wear and tear either.

After reviewing the datasheet for the Toshiba HDD in the router I discovered it supports an APM mode where it spins in a low power state at about 40% of the full rotational speed. This mode dissipates only slightly more power than a full spin-down. However, the drive spins up in about half the time with much less tortional stress. For those interested, after installing the hdparm ipkg, put these lines in your rc.local:

# Do the necessary steps so the internal HDD will enter low power
    # idle after 5 minutes and low RPM idle after 1 hour
    mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /shares/${pool}
    /opt/sbin/hdparm -B 164 ${internal_hdd}
    /opt/sbin/hdparm -B 114 ${internal_hdd}
    smartctl -dT ${internal_hdd}

The timing equations and details for the two calls to hdparm can be found in the datasheet.

- K.C.

whoops - I appear to have rebooted my router with a duff rc.local!

Half of the services don't start, and I can't get into my router to fix it (ssh/telnet don't start). Kfurge, is there any way to get back into my router to fix the rc.local?

EDIT: Never mind, just found the cgi exploit to do it in the howto section :P
    Last edited by d3viant; 12-01-2007 at 19:57.

sudo complains about setuid

Hi everyone!
    I have followed this thread and the detailled instructions by kfurge (excellent job!) to update my router. Now the drive spins down, I can ssh to the router, etc. However I encountered a problem with sudo complaining that it must be setuid. I infer that I must have screwed up something somewhere, but could not find what I did wrong. I cannot fix the problem either because I can't find setuid or an alternate way to do that. Any idea?

Big thanks to you all for making this router usable!

FIXED
    Alright, googling a little more this morning I found that "setuid sudo" command is equivalent to "chmod u+s sudo". This show my poor linux knwoledge!!
    I can now close this telnet hole!
    Last edited by velovite; 14-01-2007 at 11:08. Reason: fixed !

Quote Originally Posted by n00ben View Post
    3) you need to edit /opt/etc/sudoers (it should be there if you did step 2)

under #user privilege specification edit it so it says :
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL

9) '.profile' is a file, which is run each time you log in. edit '.profile' ... in that file you put the content that kfurge has in his sample file.

/regards
    Henrik
    It's possible to create a .profile for root? If it is where can I put it?
    I'm asking this because with the user I have created I cannot have privileges to install any pack. It always give me a bunch of errors, that's hod, since I have followed al the steps in kfurge Tutorial with success, that I mean without errors.

And yes, I put in sudoers:
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL

And run the the packs with; ex:
    sudo ipkg install XXXXXX

And it gives me:

sudo: /opt/etc/sudoers is mode 0755, should be 0440

ok, that's easy to resolve

chmod 440 sudoers

And now when I write (telneting as user)

sudo root
    He ask me for a passwd... But I don't have password in root

ok ok , I know, give a passwd to the router...
    nano /etc/passwd

edit the file, and copy de exact passwd that I have in the user, encripted of course...
    Written the file and done.. Let's test it.

sudo root

sudo: root: command not found

login
    login: root
    Password:xxxxxx

and
    login: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

That's why I'm asking if it is possible to create .profile for the root.

Because I have to write all the time I log as root

export PATH=/opt/bin:${PATH}
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Thanks

Not sure, but doesn't the NOPASSWD-tag solve your problem??

http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/man/sud...swd_and_passwd

Quote Originally Posted by IMM22 View Post
    ok ok , I know, give a passwd to the router...
    nano /etc/passwd

edit the file, and copy de exact passwd that I have in the user, encripted of course...
    Written the file and done.. Let's test it.
    Damn, I tried this one and somehow messed my root-password Any way to reset it? I only can log in with my new user account, which has no access to all the folders...

Try to install kfurge his first custom firmware. The root account in that one did not uses a pass. So this might work to recover.

Sollie.

Quote Originally Posted by IMM22 View Post

sudo root

sudo: root: command not found
    It's working OK! When you say "sudo root" it means "execute the file root as user root". :-)

What you meant to say is "sudo bash" which will give you a root shell.

- K.C.

Thumbs up

And with this, all problems are resolved !

Thanks Kfurge for the great help to this community.

A work without interest, it's a thing very rare this days and should be appreciated.

Take a look at this
    http://pugio.net/
    Last edited by IMM22; 15-01-2007 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    After reviewing the datasheet for the Toshiba HDD in the router I discovered it supports an APM mode where it spins in a low power state at about 40% of the full rotational speed. This mode dissipates only slightly more power than a full spin-down. However, the drive spins up in about half the time with much less tortional stress. For those interested, after installing the hdparm ipkg, put these lines in your rc.local:

# Do the necessary steps so the internal HDD will enter low power
    # idle after 5 minutes and low RPM idle after 1 hour
    mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /shares/${pool}
    /opt/sbin/hdparm -B 164 ${internal_hdd}
    /opt/sbin/hdparm -B 114 ${internal_hdd}
    smartctl -dT ${internal_hdd}

The timing equations and details for the two calls to hdparm can be found in the datasheet.

- K.C.
    Strange things happen - if I set it the way you describe, the hdd goes standby in few minutes (i hear the sound of going standby and hdparm -C /dev/... says suspend) and i hear the same when I wake it up.

I have downloaded the datasheet, but there are some strange characters in the equations and honestly I don't get the idea of the two parameters y1 and y2 and if there is any relation to the fact that you are issuieng two commands to the device.

In any case the hdparm -I /dev/ide... says APM is enabled but unknown setting (AdvancedPM level: unknown setting (0x00a4)).

I even turned the device off and on again to be sure that I issue the right commands (if clearing it with 0 ir 255 does not work), but same issue there.

My HDD is Hitachi HDT722516DLAT80.

Anyone else trying KF's second approach who had (overcame) similar issues?

Thanks!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast