Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New 1.0.4.6 based custom firmware

Regarding the APM modes in the Toshiba HDD:

The "click" you hear after 5 minutes is the drive entering low power idle mode. The platter is still spinning at near full speed, but the heads are parked. That's the click you hear. The drive can recover from this mode very quickly since it only needs to unpark the heads, and relock the platter servo.

After an hour, the platter will slow down to about 40% speed. It's very difficult to hear the drive spin in this mode, but you still can if you listen carefully. Since the heads are already parked, this mode is sliently entered. The drive runs very cool in this mode, but spin-up is faster.

The equations are indeed confusing, but to engage both Y1 and Y2, you need to set Y1 first. If you only set Y2, Y1 will be set to the default value of 120 seconds. Either Y1 or Y2 are set depending on the range of the value being written. Writes between 80h-BFh (128d-191d) set Y1 and 01h-7Fh (1d-127d) set Y2. It requires two writes to set both.

So according to the datasheet,

Y1=(x-80h)*5+120 = (x-128d)*5+120 = (164-128)*5+120 = 300 sec
    Y2=(x-40h)*60+600 = (x-64d)*60+600 = (114-64)*60+600 = 3600 sec

One final thing, make sure you don't call "hdparm -S". Also, I use the latest hdparm ipkg, not the one already installed on the router (note the full path to /opt/sbin/hdparm) though I don't think it's required.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 23-01-2007 at 02:21.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Y1=(x-80h)*5+120 = (x-128d)*5+120 = (164-128)*5+120 = 300 sec
    Y2=(x-40h)*60+600 = (x-64d)*60+600 = (114-64)*60+600 = 3600 sec

One final thing, make sure you don't call "hdparm -S". Also, I use the latest hdparm ipkg, not the one already installed on the router (note the full path to /opt/sbin/hdparm) though I don't think it's required.

- K.C.
    Thanks a lot!

I was confused by the result of hdparm -I ... and -C which just says suspend :-(

Extra / dirs

I notice when trying to install openssh, sudo and even dropbear, as the root user, that the package install scripts complain about...

Code:
    mkdir: Cannot create directory `/root': Operation not permitted
    The ipkg-web package complains about...

Code:
    ipkg: extract_archive: /home/: Operation not permitted
    I tried using the ipkg -d and -dest args to force the installation inside the writtable /opt area but being an ipkg and optware novice this didn't seem to work. Anyone have some suggestions how to work around this problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I notice when trying to install openssh, sudo and even dropbear, as the root user, that the package install scripts complain about...
    Hmmm... I don't remember seeing this when I installed my packages a few months back. Maybe something has changed.

I'll make a note to add a symlink from /root into /tmp in my next image so it can be customized.

- K.C.

How about adding mkdir root and home to rootprep.sh and then we could mount -o bind them, like /opt, so they can become real dirs on the hard drive ? Or at least for only /home and add a link from /root to what could become /home/root on the hard drive. With a real /home we could have multiple persistent user accounts on the hard drive in some kind of standard place. Perhaps some fancy linking could make them usable from the various web/ftp/cifs servers.

On a similar related note, would you, or anyone out there, be interested in cooperating with the ASUS code pushed into a subversion repository, and also using a wiki for notes ?

I suspect if a few of us could coop on the same codebase then we could accelerate development. I've managed to build the ASUS codebase and I hope to try it out today. I think at least 2 other users have built the codebase too so there could be 1/2 folks that could build the firmware and test the results.

Here's an example error I've bumped into with a few packages...
    Code:
    # ipkg configure
    Configuring procps
    +update-alternatives --install /opt/bin/kill kill /opt/bin/procps-kill 80
    syntax error
    +update-alternatives --install /opt/bin/uptime uptime /opt/bin/procps-uptime 80
    syntax error
    postinst script returned status 255
    ERROR: procps.postinst returned 255
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 255.
    Trying the update-alternatives command on it's own gives...
    Code:
    # update-alternatives --install /opt/bin/uptime uptime /opt/bin/procps
    syntax error
    A simple workaround to make sure the packages are otherwise successfully installed is to comment out the updates-alternative lines in the /opt/lib/ipkg/info/*.postinst files.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    set -x
    #update-alternatives --install /opt/bin/kill kill /opt/bin/procps-kill 80
    #update-alternatives --install /opt/bin/uptime uptime /opt/bin/procps-uptime 80
    FWIW
    Last edited by markc; 26-01-2007 at 07:10. Reason: forgot to mention the actual file to update

Maybe someone will find this script handz for installing fundamental packages:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Optware pre-installation script, Leon Kos 2006
    #

REPOSITORY=http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable
    TMP=/tmp
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin

install_package()
    {
        PACKAGE=$1
        echo "Installing package ${PACKAGE} ..."
        wget -O ${TMP}/${PACKAGE} ${REPOSITORY}/${PACKAGE}
        cd  ${TMP} 
        tar xzf ${TMP}/${PACKAGE} 
        tar xzf ${TMP}/control.tar.gz
        cd /
        if [ -f ${TMP}/preinst ] ; then
    	sh ${TMP}/preinst
    	rm -f ${TMP}/preints
        fi
        tar xzf ${TMP}/data.tar.gz
        if [ -f ${TMP}/postinst ] ; then
    	sh ${TMP}/postinst
    	rm -f ${TMP}/postinst
        fi
        rm -f ${TMP}/data.tar.gz
        rm -f ${TMP}/control.tar.gz
        rm -f ${TMP}/control
        rm -f ${TMP}/${PACKAGE}
    }

_install_package uclibc-opt_0.9.28-12_mipsel.ipk
    _install_package ipkg-opt_0.99.163-9_mipsel.ipk
    /opt/sbin/ldconfig
    /opt/bin/ipkg update
    /opt/bin/ipkg install -force-reinstall uclibc-opt
    /opt/bin/ipkg install -force-reinstall ipkg-opt

Hamachi

is it possible to install the linux version of hamachi on the WL700ge?

How about adding mkdir root and home to rootprep.sh and then we could mount -o bind them, like /opt, so they can become real dirs on the hard drive ?
    That's what I ended up doing.

On a similar related note, would you, or anyone out there, be interested in cooperating with the ASUS code pushed into a subversion repository, and also using a wiki for notes ?
    I've been working towards a similar goal since my list of diffs against the original source is starting to pile up. I've pruned the source tree to about 180M and have eliminated some of the time consuming redundancy in the makefile. I'm well down the path of putting the entire tree into version control on my local machine, but it's been absolute torture getting the build to succeed with the source files read-only. I now have it building, but I'm very nervous about the resulting binary. Confirming nothing is broken will be difficult...

If you've got a good place to host the source, I'd be more than happy to post it up there.

- K.C.

Kfurge i have made the quick installation guide website and i have posted it for you at this adress :
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7701&page=2
    Regards
    Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by jeromv View Post
    Kfurge i have made the quick installation guide website and i have posted it for you at this adress :
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7701&page=2
    Regards
    Jerome
    Thank you. I expect to have another binary at the end of February. One of my co-workers recently bought a 700gE and has graciously offered to let me use it for a little while to confirm some of the more risky elements of this image.

I'd like to use your guide as the basis for the installation section for the new image.

- K.C.

please help

I install
    Installing the new firmware image
    Step #5, Making a better system
    11.Disable telnet by removing it from rc.local to completely eliminate any chance of root logins

mkdir -p /opt/etc/dropbear
    dropbear -t dss -f /opt/etc/dropbear_dss_host_key
    dropbear -t rsa -f /opt/etc/dropbear_ rsa_ host_key

add to rc.local
    # Start dropbear ssh server
    if [ -x /opt/etc/init.d/S51dropbear ]; then
    /opt/etc/init.d/S51dropbear
    fi
    fi

I not disable Telnet.

From the reboot router always till boot in led ready not blinking.
    From the hard reset router work

Router work if Manager-Workgroup member-password mode-User Based Share Access (UBSA) disabled.

How i can use this UBSA mode now?

respect all

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Thank you. I expect to have another binary at the end of February. One of my co-workers recently bought a 700gE and has graciously offered to let me use it for a little while to confirm some of the more risky elements of this image.

I'd like to use your guide as the basis for the installation section for the new image.

- K.C.
    OK Good luke for the new binary.
    If you want help for your next binary tutorial page you can contact me.
    I will help you with pleasure !
    What the next binary will do better?
    Jerome

@Amlet1

i had got the same problem... my problems where solved with one of these solutions (with telnet onto the router):

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.ph...highlight=ubsa

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.ph...highlight=ubsa

maybe that helps!

grat182

Big Thanks

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast