Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New 1.0.4.6 based custom firmware

New 1.0.4.6 based custom firmware

As promised in various threads, I've posted my custom 1.0.4.6 based firmware image, instructions, and commentary at:

http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html

Usual disclaimers: Dangerous, reflash at your own risk, as-is, no warranties, etc...

Future images to come as significant progress is made. Hope some of you find it useful.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    As promised in various threads, I've posted my custom 1.0.4.6 based firmware image, instructions, and commentary at:

Usual disclaimers: Dangerous, reflash at your own risk, as-is, no warranties, etc...

Future images to come as significant progress is made. Hope some of you find it useful.

- K.C.
    Nice dude! Can't wait to try it!

- K.C.
    OK, I have taken the plunge and installed this. I think I followed all of the instructions correctly.

I can telnet to the router, as advertised, so that works.

I seem to have all of the same functionality as I had with the original firmware ... so no damage to report so far.

How do I know if and when the HDD spins down? The "IDE" light is on faintly, and by feel the disk seems to be spinning. The parameter 180 in the rc.local file means 180*5 = 900 seconds = 15 minutes, does it not?

I guess I'll have to wait a quarter of an hour to find out if that is working then.

I'm keen to try at least the ctorrent_1.3.4-dnh1-1_mipsel.ipk package from the openmss project, but I'm not sure how to proceed on that front.

But anyway, so far, so good. A big "THANKYOU" for your efforts so far, kfurge.

Quote Originally Posted by hal2k1 View Post
    I guess I'll have to wait a quarter of an hour to find out if that is working then.
    I can report that HDD spin-down also works.

I have seen no errors so far.

Can you enable a problem from asus

- K.C.

In Firmware 1.0.4.2 the Switch on the back worked fine in AP mode. but not in the 1.0.4.6 - can you modify the firmware so this works??
    The only problem with the switch is that I dont get any IP address - it works fine if I set up the IP manually - but no automatically setup will come through from my VPN router.

Thanks!
    >>BARTENS<<
    ASUS A6JA-Q028P & WL-700Ge

The parameter 180 in the rc.local file means 180*5 = 900 seconds = 15 minutes, does it not?
    Yes, it's 15 minutes. It's hard to tell sometimes if the HDD is spinning or not. I find the best way is by feel or by putting my ear on it.

I'm keen to try at least the ctorrent_1.3.4-dnh1-1_mipsel.ipk package from the openmss project, but I'm not sure how to proceed on that front.
    To test whether or not the packages worked, I did the steps below. Don't take them too literally, I'm recalling them from memory, but they should help guide you in the right direction.

1. Unpack the .ipk file with ar -x on a linux box
    2. Copy the data.tgz file to /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1
    3. Unpack the data.tgz file (tar xvzf data.tgz)
    4. Add opt/bin to your path
    export PATH=/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt/bin:${PATH}
    5. Add opt/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt/lib
    6. Run your binary

Steps 4 and 5 will have to be repeated every time you login. This is annoying, so I plan to integrate these steps into my next image.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartens View Post
    In Firmware 1.0.4.2 the Switch on the back worked fine in AP mode. but not in the 1.0.4.6 - can you modify the firmware so this works??
    The only problem with the switch is that I dont get any IP address - it works fine if I set up the IP manually - but no automatically setup will come through from my VPN router.

Thanks!
    >>BARTENS<<
    Sorry, right now I don't have time to fix Asus bugs. Perhaps when my to-do list is finished I'll be able to look into bug fixes.

FWIW, it's unlikely this problem is fixable by anyone outside of Asus. The basic router initialization is handled by a program called rc. It was buildable in 1.0.4.2, but is only distributed in binary form with 1.0.4.6.

- K.C.

kfurge - is it possible to password protect utelnetd on your firmware without having to modify the source code further?

I like to telnet into my router from the outside world, so password protection is fairly important

Thanks, it works for me, but when i use the third rc.local file, my webserver isnt working. So i switched to the second file.

Sollie.

This Firmware finally solved my problems

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

1000X THANKS

For some reason I cannot telnet the router? Is the port number 23? Do you need to make telnet in the boot time? strange. The telnet is always refuses. maybe that's because I change the IP adress to 192.168.1.2 since my ADSL router modem that I connect to wl700ge via a Lan port as the ip 192.168.1.1, don't know ...
    I test with telnet wl700ge, and with telnet 192.168.1.2 and none seem to work
    Last edited by IMM22; 19-11-2006 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by sollie View Post
    Thanks, it works for me, but when i use the third rc.local file, my webserver isnt working. So i switched to the second file.

Sollie.
    I probably should have been more clear on the web page. The third rc.local file is only for demonstrating some of what can be done within the script. It's not general purpose like the other two.

If you review the script, you'll notice I kill the Asus thttpd then restart it to point to my content (which is not present on your router).

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by IMM22 View Post
    I test with telnet wl700ge, and with telnet 192.168.1.2 and none seem to work
    There's no IP address distinction for the telnet server. Perhaps you may have the router plugged into your lan via the WAN interface (eth0). I configured utelnetd to only listen on the LAN interface (br0). Try removing the "-i br0" part from the utelnetd startup. This will fire up telnet on both the LAN and WAN ports. See if that helps.

Another trouble spot may be the script failing to execute. Prior to gaining telnet access, make sure the script is only present in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/web. If you have a script in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 make sure to remove it. This is because the startup script (rcex) prefers the non-web location, but requires that the execute bits be set.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 20-11-2006 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    kfurge - is it possible to password protect utelnetd on your firmware without having to modify the source code further?

I like to telnet into my router from the outside world, so password protection is fairly important
    I'm working on this. It just requires a busybox built with login support.

One of my goals is to limit the amount of changes to the original Asus code. This will help shield me from future Asus upgrades.

To that end, I was hoping that one of the openwrt project busyboxes had login built in so I could just bolt it on, but it seems like they don't, so I'll probably have to enable it in the Asus code.

Another firmware image is coming soon anyway because I stumbled across the /dev/random blocking problem while configuring dropbear. Turns out our little box is starved for random entropy, so I need to tweak devfs a little bit to redirect /dev/random to /dev/urandom.

When I get this image ready, I plan to include some form of login support. Stay tuned...

- K.C.

Another trouble spot may be the script failing to execute. Prior to gaining telnet access, make sure the script is only present in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/web. If you have a script in /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 make sure to remove it. This is because the startup script (rcex) prefers the non-web location, but requires that the execute bits be set.

- K.C.
    Ok.

It's working

Success installing ctorrent, very easy following kfurge instructions. A bit disappointed I aspect a more graphical interface, is only text mode
    Last edited by IMM22; 20-11-2006 at 20:36.

There are a fair few ncurses based bittorrent clients - so it may be possible to get one of those going eventually...

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast