Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS WL-700gE custom firmware released - (1.0.4.2-1)

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    I am running from Linux, so all the rcinit files I have made have been edited using vi, so that shouldn't be the cause of the problem. What permissions and uid/gid do you have on your rcinit file to make it work - I will see if that makes any difference...
    I have no more ideas. try to copy rcex or rcinstall to share folder and execute from telnet shell. does it work?

Hmm, rcex runs ok - I just tried adding an echo into my startup rcinit script, so now it looks like:

#!/bin/sh
    echo "Adding ipkg path variables"
    export PATH=$PATH:/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt/bin
    export IPKG_CONF_DIR=/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt/etc

It does the echo part fine when I run from within a telnet session, but the path and ipkg_conf_dir variables do not export successfully unless I run the rcinit in the single terminal way (ie . ./rcinit) Is it possible that the startup nvram runs it as ./rcinit, therefore losing any exported paths? (due to the seperate terminal session being used for the rcinit command)

Hmm, rcex runs ok - I just tried adding an echo into my startup rcinit script, so now it looks like:

#!/bin/sh
    echo "Adding ipkg path variables"
    export PATH=$PATH:/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt/bin
    export IPKG_CONF_DIR=/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt/etc

It does the echo part fine when I run from within a telnet session, but the path and ipkg_conf_dir variables do not export successfully unless I run the rcinit in the single terminal way (ie . ./rcinit) Is it possible that the startup nvram runs it as ./rcinit, therefore losing any exported paths? (due to the seperate terminal session being used for the rcinit command)
    I have not big expierence, bit I think it is not good idea to use PATH variables. instead launch from current directory.

yes, it may be best to avoid those for the time being...

although it is probably possible to run a startup script, which contains the command to run another script (where the 2nd script sets the variables) this way, you can do it properly within the same terminal session.

Leaving that for the time being... now, onto getting ipkg going

yes, it may be best to avoid those for the time being...

although it is probably possible to run a startup script, which contains the command to run another script (where the 2nd script sets the variables) this way, you can do it properly within the same terminal session.

Leaving that for the time being... now, onto getting ipkg going
    another idea - I can hardcode the seach path that will be mounted, for example /opt or /tmp/opt

Yes - that'd work too, and save the hassle of having to set it up in a script when you flash the firmware aswell

Yes - that'd work too, and save the hassle of having to set it up in a script when you flash the firmware aswell
    I'll wait till someone will not create ipkg system.

Oleg just pointed out to oleo uClibc solution

Well, that sorts the uclibc problem, but you have to use ipkg to install the libraries according to that link - which means that ipkg can't require uclibc - otherwise you couldnt use ipkg to install uclibc...

Well, that sorts the uclibc problem, but you have to use ipkg to install the libraries according to that link - which means that ipkg can't require uclibc - otherwise you couldnt use ipkg to install uclibc...
    if ipkg requires uclibc and it is not here yet you have to find glibc ipkg or compile ipkg with staticaly linked uclibc

IPK also exists in shell version. So there is no problem here. See for example in dd-wrt ipkg sources or anoncvs.handhelds.org On the other hand: If you can manually tar xvzf uclibc*.ipk then you can unpack tar xvzf data.tar.gz in it.
    Last edited by oleo; 12-11-2006 at 06:59.

Ok, I have unzipped ipkg.pak and uclibc.pak, creating an opt directory structure within my share area (ie /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt) The ipkg bin directory is on my path, however I still get ipkg: not found when trying to run it - do I need to put uclibc onto some sort of lib path? If so, what path does it need?

Ok, I have unzipped ipkg.pak and uclibc.pak, creating an opt directory structure within my share area (ie /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/opt) The ipkg bin directory is on my path, however I still get ipkg: not found when trying to run it - do I need to put uclibc onto some sort of lib path? If so, what path does it need?
    i'm planning to release firmware with writeable /opt and /etc directories. I could even include ipkg and uclibc built in. I just need some time. I hope I figured out how todo that from studying Oleg's firwmare.

Thanks, Oleg!

If so, what path does it need?
    yes, you need to include it in modules load config file.

Quote Originally Posted by MoD View Post
    i'm planning to release firmware with writeable /opt and /etc directories. I could even include ipkg and uclibc built in. I just need some time. I hope I figured out how todo that from studying Oleg's firwmare.

Thanks, Oleg!
    If you could do a release with ipkg and uclibc built in, that'd be great

The only package I am personally after is a working bittorrent client - not sure how much better enhanced-ctorrent is than normal ctorrent, but if it handles the download stability issues from the original asus firmware, then it's a definite improvement!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast