Thread: Asus Upgrade User Friendliness?

Asus Upgrade User Friendliness?

I think I know what is wrong, this product is not for me at all. The WL-500gp(or any other Asus router for that matter) is not for "ordinary" users, but for highly advanced users who like to do everything with their routers. I shouldn't have bought it, I know this now.

So, for those who thought I was shitting my own pants and complaining about it afterwards, I apologize. I didn't come here to pick a fight, I didn't want the argue with anyone and I didn't want to become unpopular here. I just wanted to voice my own opinions about something I clearly didn't have a clue about.

But one more sour note from me. I wanted to upgrade the router FW and went to the ASUS site to download the new router software. Not only did it take longer then anything I have downloaded since 1999, but I can't extract the file because of a couple of filename conflicts in the zip/rar file AND I can't getmy head arround how to update the darn thing anyway. I can't find anything on the Asus site telling me how to do it...

This should be the easiest thing in the world. Download a file, open in, it starts updating automatically. Asus should also provide a step by step guide on how to do it. It might be there, but spending 1 hour to find it just P me off even more. This is the total opposite of user friendliness and Asus is the one to blame....not me, for not understanding the internal workings of a wlan box.

I'm sorry, I know this isn't a mainstream product and I regret buying it. For you all, it might be excellent and even beyond, but for me, it's not.

It's basically the worst thing I have ever spent my money on in my whole life. I now hate Asus more then anything in the world and I won't trust anything with an Asus branding. Yes, I screwed up here by SHOUTING at the wrong people, but Asus is basically....CRAP

I couldn't help noticing that not only you are just an 'ordinary' router user, you are absolutely a n00b when it comes to computing...You probably downloaded the 100 Mb+ source file instead of the driver only.

Just buy some wires and make a wired connection. Please...it's for your own good. There just is no such thing as hasslefree wireless networking, regardless of the brand.

PS: you did not screw up by shouting on the forum. You just don't know how to handle your frutrattion and anger, and you keep ranting about issues that are already well understood. Get angermanagement, learn to deal with those emotions yourself, but don't take it out on members of a forum. Life is too short.
    Last edited by EddieZ; 08-11-2006 at 00:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian78
    But one more sour note from me. I wanted to upgrade the router FW and went to the ASUS site to download the new router software. Not only did it take longer then anything I have downloaded since 1999, but I can't extract the file because of a couple of filename conflicts in the zip/rar file AND I can't getmy head arround how to update the darn thing anyway. I can't find anything on the Asus site telling me how to do it...
    I've gotta agree with Sebastian here. If you go to the ASUS firmware download page, the first available option is the source code download! It's 121MB and how is a newbie supposed to know that this is only for experienced users, and that there's an easier option elsewhere (buried under the Drivers tab)?

It's a stupid mistake by Asus, and many more than Sebastian will make this error unless Asus clarify what you're downloading. The prebuilt firmware should be the default option.

Sebastian78: If you can care to revisit the Asus site, finding the download page for the Wl500g-P, there's a blue tab called "Drivers". In there the second download option is the prebuilt firmware, a zip file of 7.5MB. Download this, unzip to get a .trx file (I think). It's this file that updates the router.
    -G

use OUR firmware wizard it's userfriendly (I think..)

find it at http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wiza...model=25&id=85
    I have preselected the latest firmware for the WL500gP for you

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Very nice wizard. The only thing I miss is the alphabetic order in the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian78 View Post
    I think I know what is wrong, this product is not for me at all.
    I strongly suggest any newbie to buy routers / modems from their ISP's, and engage their support structure whenever there are problems. If possible, choose an ISP that can go to your house and fix the problems.

These are simple lessons learned from my past experience. Never ever buy a modem / router from a store unless you know what you are doing. The key word here is compatibility, either you rely on a single supplier (such as your ISP), or you are on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Blue View Post
    I strongly suggest any newbie to buy routers / modems from their ISP's, and engage their support structure whenever there are problems. If possible, choose an ISP that can go to your house and fix the problems.

These are simple lessons learned from my past experience. Never ever buy a modem / router from a store unless you know what you are doing. The key word here is compatibility, either you rely on a single supplier (such as your ISP), or you are on your own.
    Its like blaming Ferrari when you buy one and crash because you just can't drive well enough...
    Last edited by EddieZ; 12-11-2006 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieZ View Post
    Its like blaming Ferrari when you buy one and crash because you just can't drive well enough...
    Not exactly... I am using computers for more than 35 years, Net at home for more than 5 years, I have stumbled across several problems of the ISP's themselves, poor firmware quality, etc. Even today my ISP has several drops per week, I cannot reach agreement with my neighboors about wireless channel separation...

There are so many things besides a router that originate problems... Certainly the WL-500 series opens the door to "independent help" on top of what we should expect from the manufacturer.

At least a Ferrari should perform as designed (I hope, I whish I had one).
    Last edited by Moody Blue; 12-11-2006 at 16:00.

Well OK, the Asus isn't a Ferrari... But still metaphorically: every car's performance is greatly influenced by the skills of its user.

Like you say, the correct functioning of a device (wirelss router) depends also on all kinds of circumstances. Our friend Sebastian78 doesn't seem to accept this and expects the product to do its job when turned on, whatever the circumstances.

How hard we all cry about it: Shit will still happen with computer hard- and software...So deal with it, otherwise buy paper and pencil and get some stamps

To Gerry Boland : Thank you

Now, I'm no "real noob" you guys. I just don't do programming or fidling too much with stuff I can't get my head arround. Regarding wifi/wlan, I'm getting better every day hehe.

It's just that everything Asus, seems a bit "half-assed" if you understand me. It doesn't seem well thought thru and it's like they don't understand how their users behave......I don't think Asus is worse than a lot of other companies, but they stumble doing the easy steps, not something complicated.

Regarding who and WHERE to download fw, I'm a complete security freak. I just don't trust anyone else then the official site or fw. I don't have any reason to distrust other "un-official" sites, but I have no reason TO trust them......call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian78 View Post
    To Gerry Boland : Thank you

Now, I'm no "real noob" you guys. I just don't do programming or fidling too much with stuff I can't get my head arround. Regarding wifi/wlan, I'm getting better every day hehe.

It's just that everything Asus, seems a bit "half-assed" if you understand me. It doesn't seem well thought thru and it's like they don't understand how their users behave......I don't think Asus is worse than a lot of other companies, but they stumble doing the easy steps, not something complicated.

Regarding who and WHERE to download fw, I'm a complete security freak. I just don't trust anyone else then the official site or fw. I don't have any reason to distrust other "un-official" sites, but I have no reason TO trust them......call me crazy.
    How many (brands of) routers have you used so far?