Thread: Any way to boost the tranfer speed to extern HD?

1. Any way to boost the tranfer speed to extern HD?

Is there anyway to boost the transfer speed between my external harddrive and the Asus 500gp? Transfering a DVD (4.2GB) from my laptop to the External harddrive take the total time of 45Min!!! This is a very long time i think...!! It's totally unacceptable, and a very low performance! Can i somehow boost the speed?

You should buy a real server if you want real performance ;-)

Connect a USB drive to an old Pentium 133 class machine (if it even has USB) and see how it performs...

No way.

I suggest to look for Freecom FSG3 which is supported by www.nslu2-linux.org project.

4. Oleo > Can you explain more about that?

what is Freecom FSG3?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmuskarlsen View Post
    Is there anyway to boost the transfer speed between my external harddrive and the Asus 500gp? Transfering a DVD (4.2GB) from my laptop to the External harddrive take the total time of 45Min!!! This is a very long time i think...!! It's totally unacceptable, and a very low performance! Can i somehow boost the speed?
    No way of boosting performance, WL500gp transfer speed is about 3.5Mbytes per second (reading from drive, writing is even slower).
    Keep in mind that max speed over 100Mbit ethernet is 8 to 10 megabytes. If you dont have gigabit ethernet nic in you notebook and server, don't expect much even from PC with harddrive.

The only way to send files really FAST, is to attach hard drive directly to notebook.

@Oleo: The Freecom FSG3 looks interesting indeed. But the price is above the WL-700gE.
    Any benchmarks available, especially a comparison to the Buffalo (Gigabit) Linkstation?

See http://www.openfsg.org/ and www.nslu2-linux.org page. The main feature IMHO is open firmware which is starting point for small server with a bunch of services. If people are seeking just NAS then any NAS will do the job.

The difference is thus in Optware http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Packages