Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Running Giftd on wl500g

If found the bug in giFTwakeup that was bugging me... seems realloc didn't work as i tought it would. Which caused a segfault when a package bigger then de original buffer was received.
    I've updated the package on my ftp, it should be a lot more stable now.

Hi

I think the auto search more is a funktion which should be done by the core, not as a add-on to everythink. maybe you can patch something similar to the gift daemon ? i better dont shout too loud, but shouldnt it bee somethink like call the search sources funktions all xx secounds, maybe depending on the currend sources connected ??

Greets, and thx for your work!
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by DeF
    If found the bug in giFTwakeup that was bugging me... seems realloc didn't work as i tought it would. Which caused a segfault when a package bigger then de original buffer was received.
    I've updated the package on my ftp, it should be a lot more stable now.
    Thanks, will try it. The first release crashed after a few hours, but uptil then it worked like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    I think the auto search more is a funktion which should be done by the core, not as a add-on to everythink. maybe you can patch something similar to the gift daemon ? i better dont shout too loud, but shouldnt it bee somethink like call the search sources funktions all xx secounds, maybe depending on the currend sources connected ??
    In the TODO of giFT the developers state they will make an auto-search-more function in the future. Just use this one until a new release where its implemented in the giFT core.

Another bittorent c implementation

Hi,

Regarding the possibility to write a bittorent plugin to giftd, has anyone looked at BTLib, - a C library implementing the core BitTorrent protocol (http://libbt.sourceforge.net/)?

Cheers!

giFT consumes entire memory

Today I received the following error:
    Code:
    user.err klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1049 (ld.so.1).
    user.err klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1049 (ld.so.1).
    user.notice klogd: VM: killing process ld.so.1
    This occurred when I was downloading some 30 files and uploading 5. Looks like the kernel killed it because it ran out of memory...

I have added 32 Mb of swap space and all swap space was consumed too (http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=5483&postcount=5).

I'm going to look into this further...
    Last edited by Styno; 02-10-2004 at 21:03.

memory is indeed a problem. I don't think giftd has a maximum mem usage. It just depends on the amount of download's and the amount of results from a search. I have also noticed that if you have just one download with 40+ sources the WL-500g get's extreeeeeemly slow. and sometime's its just automaticly rebooted, probably by the wachtdog.

but currently i'm more busy with getting a bittorrent client working caus that's what i'm using most of the time now. I've ported ctorrent to C, but is fail's to run.. and it is programmed realllllly crappy. zo no fun to work with. But past weekend i tryed libbt(thanks for the tip sesamebike ). i've already downloaded a 50 mb file with it succesfully. But this morning i tryed a 4 gb file and after an hour my router just hang. Kernel was still reacting to ping commands but non of my daemon's responded and routing was down to... so i fear it's also a memory problem. I hope to have an other test run tonight with all unnesecary deamon's killed and no ramfs.

Are you running the Bittorrent client as a standalone app or as a plugin for giFTd?

Hi

I strongly think it´s independant.
    Hell, if this works quite well and even gets integrated into the web frontend ...

Nice work DeF, do you have some preview binary ??

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Whehe, I have an independant FTP client running as well....

wget

Works like a charm, only no userfriendly interface

I've been looking into the excessive memory problem some more. It happens when some 150 - 200 connections are made for around 15 - 20 downloads. I've allready set the memory usage parameter of the gnutella client to around 1 Mb, but to no avail. The giFT daemon is still unusable when having a decent amount of connections for a moderate amount of downloads...

I think we need to run giFT on a regular pc with some kind of analystic tool to see whats causing the excessive memory usage... But that won't be easy I guess.

Finally i have some time to post the result of my test of libbt. I was downloading a file of ~2700 mb. To get enough memory free for libbt to work( somewhere around 2-3 mb according to the libbt website) i killed every deamon running on the wl-500g except telnet, dhcp, dns and syslogd and routed all ramdisk directory's to directory's on my HD. I used the btget example program supplyed with libbt for downloading.

btget runs without real problem's. finding good download node's was a bigger problem.. only two download node's where found and downloading didn't go faster than 3 kB/s*. after it ran for a long while i managed to download 100 mb. Big problem was that btget quited everytime due to tracker error's of some other undefined error's**. Verry anoying was that everytime you restart btget it check's all downloaded parts against the sha-1 hashes which took an awfull long time(as expectable with sha-1). But on a certain point btget kept reporting that the tracker was unreachable(couldn't check if that was true on that moment ). Around that point my adventure with libbt ended because i hard reseted(with the powercable:P) my router+hd and the filesystem on the hd became corrupted to a point that btget didn't want to run any more

Conclusion:
    It is possible to run a libbt client on the wl500g router but you'll need to free a lot of memory. So untill a version of the wl500g with more memory come's out it will probably be hard to implement a bittorrent client in the wl500g without lossing any of its feature's or stability.

btget as client wasn't really usable because the bad error handeling and the hashing of the file at start up. its probably a good idea to write a new client that uses libbt but has a good error handling and return code's so it can be used in scripts and that uses a file to account the correctly downloaded piece's so it doesn't have to hash the whole file on startup....

On the moment i personnally don't have any time and need left do to any programming next to all the programming i do for my work. and the lack of memory in the wl500g isn't motivating either. but maybee someone with some time would like to try... if zo... i would be pleased to help by compiling, testing or just providing idea's.

(*) for comparison... on the moment i'm downloading the same file with a speed of 22 kB/s
    (**) could be because i had to close my telnet client from which is started btget in the background (stdout/stderr was routed to file).

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Are you running the Bittorrent client as a standalone app or as a plugin for giFTd?
    stand alone. i don't think using it with gift is a good idea. that only take's memory. Plus i already made a much easyer interface with bash script's to add downloads by just dumping .torrent file's into a specified directory...

installing gift on a 1.8.1.7 firmware

Hi,
    I have a problem when i try to install gift on the wl500g (firmware 1.8.1.7)
    When i try to run giftd.sh i get the following error message :

Code:
    ./giftd.sh: 18: /lib/ld.so.1: not found
    Is it possible to run gift on the 1.8.1.7 firmware?

I haven't tried running giFT on 1.8 series firmware, because I stopped using giFT all together. This is because giFT will run out of memory rather quickly which in terms will corrupt my HDD.

So there are now two people who reported corrupted HDD's after using giFT, therefore I suggest NOT using giFT on the router. Perhaps the WL-500gx (Deluxe) will be more suited for running giFT.

I'm now using wget as an FTP client on the router which works great. Right now I'm in the process of developing some remote management for wget.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    I haven't tried running giFT on 1.8 series firmware, because I stopped using giFT all together. This is because giFT will run out of memory rather quickly which in terms will corrupt my HDD.

So there are now two people who reported corrupted HDD's after using giFT, therefore I suggest NOT using giFT on the router. Perhaps the WL-500gx (Deluxe) will be more suited for running giFT.

I'm now using wget as an FTP client on the router which works great. Right now I'm in the process of developing some remote management for wget.
    too bad I like gift very much because all the plugins that are available for it. It is a nice solution for running gift on the router because for money and noice saving.
    But... ok. i can live with that. Thanks anyway.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast