Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Giftd on wl500g

Running Giftd on wl500g

For the people who don't want to leave there noisy and energy eating pc's on for downloading. I've made a package of giftd downloading deamon for the WL500g router.

Download

How to use it?
    • Just extract the zip file to the highest directory of a external usb media(eg. zip disk, usbpen, usb-hd(not tested with multiple partitions))
    • If you want you can configure the deamon using the files in the .giFT direcorty, but this is not necesary.
    • connect the external usb media to your router. (if you use ext2 fs you have to mount the partition manualy )
    • Now issue the /mnt/usbfs/giftd.sh command.
    • You should now be able to connect to the server using a giftd client

The giftd contain's plugins for the OpenFT, Fasttracker and Gnutella network.

I'm still looking for a sollution for downloading files through bittorrent but there isn't a giFT plugin avaible and i couldn't find a good C client. I've also tryed MLdonkey, but because there isn't a native compiler for the mipsel platform it use's a virtual machine which utilized 100% cpu and 100% mem. so that wasn't usable.

The source code of the different program's/library's used are unmodified and are available on the following site's :
    http://gift.sourceforge.net/download.php
    http://gift-fasttrack.berlios.de/
    http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
    http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html
    The rest of the library's are copied from the Asus cross-compile toolkit GPL_1756.zip
    Last edited by Antiloop; 26-07-2004 at 13:09.

nice work, do you maybe know if there is any program that works with ftp too? to download a whole bunch of rar's ofcourse..

for the people who can't read
    find a client for windows here: http://www.runestig.com/giFTwin32.html
    another client for windows: http://www.kceasy.com/ (kazaa alike look)

see attached pics as example
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

and second example
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    nice work, do you maybe know if there is any program that works with ftp too? to download a whole bunch of rar's ofcourse..
    A long time ago there was a download manager for linux that used a server client model. i believe it was called something like darx but i can't find it anymore. But you could always use wget.

Very nice and a very ingenious way of saving power! I'm certainly going to give it a go.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to run a better FTP server in the same way as this application? I cetainly would appreciate better user/group/directory support, APPEND and better directory caching support from an FTP server.

I am unable to move the gift files into a seperate subdirectory (to tidy my /mnt/usbfs directory up) because the binary isn't able to find the libraries anymore after the move. I did edit the giftd.sh script though, so I guess you've hardcoded some of the paths?

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    I did edit the giftd.sh script though, so I guess you've hardcoded some of the paths?
    Yes, the library path for gift plugin's is hardcoded in the binary to /mnt/usbfs/giftd/lib/giFT just like the location of the mime.types file. For the plugins you can give the full path in the config file, so this must not be a problem. But i can't find a way to tell giftd to use a different location for mime.types. So i fear you have to recompile if you want to move the giftd directory.

But the lib directory can be moved. just move all library's into the /mnt/usbfs/giftd/lib directory and it should still work. the .giFT directory can also be moved to an other directory. but if you do this you have to change the HOME variable in the giftd.sh file

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to run a better FTP server in the same way as this application?
    Ofcourse. And if this doesn't work you could always build a chroot environment. I did this with a debian mipsel installation to test mldonkey. I don't think it's the most beautyfull sollution but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    Looking at your picture I can see you have Gnutella running, I cannot connect. I tried to change the gnutella config file but no success. I am doing somethoing wrong, panic

The screenshot which Antiloop posted was copied from the giFT website

The Gnutella plugin does not work because the nodes file is empty (it doesn't search for nodes initially). So you have to find some nodes and copy them to the config file (I believe in /mnt/usbfs/.gift/gnutella, but I'm not sure).

Lost webpage

After installing and running the gitf daemon during an hour, i lost the connection to website , i can't see anymore webpage but MSN , Bittorent or any over appz still runing without any problems.
    Does somebody have the same problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rom666
    After installing and running the gitf daemon during an hour, i lost the connection to website , i can't see anymore webpage but MSN , Bittorent or any over appz still runing without any problems.
    Nope, I have giFT running for about 24 hours now, and apart from a few crashes of the daemon (which seems to be caused by my client (KCeasy)) everything works fine.

Nope, I have giFT running for about 24 hours now, and apart from a few crashes of the daemon (which seems to be caused by my client (KCeasy)) everything works fine.
    I do not see any problems with the application either, it runs flawlessly! I realy love this application.

Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    Looking at your picture I can see you have Gnutella running, I cannot connect. I tried to change the gnutella config file but no success. I am doing somethoing wrong, panic
    I've got the same problem my self. The only sollution i can find on the net is to update the gwebcaches file, but i haven't found a new one yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rom666
    nop, haven't had a single crash so far.

Thumbs up Cool!

Cool!
    There is only one thing I need: eMule/eDonky/KAD-Network-Support AND import eMule-Files.

By the way: incomming files are saved in public_ftp NOT in public_ftp/incomming!!!!
    best regards
    Pirat

Pb with gift

What are you config for wl500g ? I try update to Firmware v.1.7.5.9 CR3 [Oleg] abd have the same problem. Actually I've configure ftp, my isp, wifi connection , telnet and ssh connection and that all. No configuration of samba and firewall.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast