Thread: Bittorrent Not Working

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karlunge View Post
    Hello fireflash,

i don't think, that the wl700ge is very different from wl500gP. All is Mipsel...
    i used the tutorial with the iPkg install-stuff:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5909
    just change the ipkg install ctorrent to ipkg install enhanced-ctorrent!

i have a wl500gx -> an old version of the Premium one but almost everything worked fine. i ever tought that the wl700g is like a wl500g with an internal harddisc. so maybe the tutorial should work for you too....

greetings
    wl700ge does differ from all other versions, it does not have IPKG nor Telnet/SSH enabled (by default) firmwares yet

it is possible to enable telnet using a simple 'hack' but this does not help you much further in the beginning

the WL500g with an internal harddisk is the WL-HDD

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

ok - seems, that i was wrong.
    but i think all devices are based on the same processor-technology.

you should have a look on this site:
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage
    maybe here you can find some information or precompiled packages you can use without ipkg.

or maybe you can make ipkg work for the wl700gE, because there is other good stuff available too.

ipkg was not on my wl500gx from the beginning - i had to start a ipkg.sh-Script which installed the ipkg i think. (i don't really know - i simply followed the instructions) i'll try to upload it. maybe it helps you...

greetings
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by karlunge; 22-10-2006 at 01:04.

awesome! that's the "old" version of ipkg which was written as a shell script. With a minor modification, it attempts to run. However, I can't download a package because it's looking for ipkg.conf in the /etc directory, which I happen to have a copy of from a mipsel compiled version if ipkg, even tho it refused to run. Unfortunately, anytime I try to write a file to anywhere outside the /shares/ directory, I get Permission Denied, so I can't copy the file to /etc on the router, nor can I symlink it. If I can find a way around this annoying little problem, this might actually work.

Thanks for sharing the file though, you've made my day.

fireflash, the default bittorrent client is really buggy..i am desperately looking for a replacement..would really appreciate if u post here any success that u have in installing another client..

My goal right now is to get enhanced-ctorrent working, which is an improved version of the bittorrent client Asus packed with the router. If I can get the router to let me put a file in it's /etc directory, then I might have some luck.

It never fails, I start to make progress, and something silly gets in my way.

i've found this line in the script.
    you either should change /etc to soomething you want or start it with the $IPKG_CONF_DIR-param....

if [ -z "$IPKG_CONF_DIR" ]; then
    IPKG_CONF_DIR=/etc
    fi

the ipkg.conf on my wl500g is like that:
    ---------------------------
    src wl500g http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg
    dest root /
    it's looking like it's made for the wl500g only.
    but i think you can use this source too because, because it should run on the very same processor-architecture...

maybe one change has to be made:
    my harddrive is mounted on /opt/ .. and so the binaries are installed to /opt/bin....
    maybe you can either change the dest-location or you can create a 2nd mount point for your harddrive...

greetings...

i've found this line in the script.
    you either should change /etc to soomething you want or start it with the $IPKG_CONF_DIR-param....

if [ -z "$IPKG_CONF_DIR" ]; then
    IPKG_CONF_DIR=/etc
    fi

the ipkg.conf on my wl500g is like that:
    src wl500g http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg
    dest root /
    it's looking like it's made for the wl500g only.
    but i think you can use this source too because, because it should run on the very same processor-architecture...

maybe one change has to be made:
    my harddrive is mounted on /opt/ .. and so the binaries are installed to /opt/bin....
    maybe you can either change the dest-location or you can create a 2nd mount point for your harddrive...

greetings...
    Excellent find. I've changed the .conf location, but it's trying to install itself in /opt/, which it can't create because something in the router's permissions are keeping me and everything else from writing to the root partition. Probably a protection mechanism to keep it's core system safe from anything bad happening. I'll parse through the script later and see what I can do about point it to another location, probably in the /shares/ directory, since I can write files there. Once I dance around the write-permissions hassle, then with any luck this should run perfectly.

I've managed to get the ipkg.sh script to run, and it attempted to download a package, but unfortunately the current compile of busybox was missing a few key commands necessary for it to unpack the package. I've enabled the needed commands, and am currently recompiling the firmware, with the latest version of busybox (yes, I'm crazy). So provided everything takes, I should have more info tomorrow.

Update: Busybox 1.2.1 started asking some weird questions (for me anyways), and it had a bunch of errors, so to be on the safe side I put the old version back in. I'll recompile it tomorrow night and see what happens.
    Last edited by fireflash; 24-10-2006 at 04:04.

Well, I've got good news and bad news.

Good News:

With some modifications to the busybox config file (to enable a few more shell commands), recompiling the firmware and modifying the ipkg.sh script karlunge was kind enough to upload, I finally got ipkg to run and unpack a file.

Bad News:

My test dummy package was the enhanced-ctorrent client.. While it unpacked just fine, when I go to run it, all I get from the shell is:

./enhanced-ctorrent: file not found

and sadly it doesn't go into specifics. I'm executing it from the directory it's installed in, and that's all I get.

So close, yet so far.

Hello fireflash,

the system does not find the executeable.

could you do a "ls -Al" from this directory?
    i don't understand this. where is it installed to?

greetings...

Hello fireflash,

the system does not find the executeable.

could you do a "ls -Al" from this directory?
    i don't understand this. where is it installed to?

greetings...
    Here's a step-by-step screen dump of my attempt to run enhanced-ctorrent:

# ls
    apps etc mnt shares var
    bin foreign_shares proc tmp www
    dev lib sbin usr
    # cd shares/MYVOLUME1/
    # ls
    MYSHARE1 data1
    __share_MYSHARE1_vars.txt etc
    __share_list.txt opt
    bin shares
    # cd opt
    # ls
    bin doc lib tmp
    # cd bin
    # ls
    enhanced-ctorrent
    # ls -al
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 88 Oct 24 21:04 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 144 Oct 24 21:04 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 226288 Sep 12 18:14 enhanced-ctorrent
    # ./enhanced-ctorrent
    ./enhanced-ctorrent: not found
    As you can see I'm in the directory it's installed in, it just won't run. As I'm sure you can imagine, this is very confusing and frustrating.

hello fireflash,

maybe the original asus-shell does not support executing unknown programs.
    maybe you can try "bash", "sh" or somethings like that, in order to run a full/real shell instead of the minimized asus-shell. but i don't know if this is part of the original asus-firmware. just give it a try....

my feelings are with you

greetings