Thread: What filesystem is on main/mirror disk?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What filesystem is on main/mirror disk?

Hi,

I'm wondering what filesystem the WL-700 uses on the mirror disk?
    I erased and formatted it using the WL-700 disk manager.
    Now I have the mirror disk here on my desk [since router is going back DOA] and tryed to see what's on it using a Knoppix5.0 boot CD as I thought it would have a Linux based filesystem on it but Knopix says it's an unknown file system and can't show anything??
    Now I'm wondering what the use is of mirroring if you can't see what's on it anymore when the router or main disk fails??
    Does anyone know how the disk can be read by some other operating system then the WL-700?

I also asked ASUS support, but no reply yet.
    Nobody here knows???

Hmmm,
    Everybody hopes to get Custom Firmware for this router but nobody knows what filesystem is used??
    I guess then the Custom Firmware won't be available soon..
    I saw in another post that it is running a Linux version.

I didn't lose any data or something like that, but when I choose the option mirroring it should at least be useful. If data isn't accesible by some other OS then the WL-700 it's useless or am I missing something??
    Or is nobody using the mirror option? I am using it also as a NAS so data like pics and music won't be floating around on all computers.
    This was one off the reasons I bought it, to make sure data won't be lost when a HDD crashes...

Can someone please respond if they know?

/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on / type cramfs (rw)
    /dev on /dev type devfs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
    ramfs on /shares type ramfs (rw)
    ramfs on /foreign_shares type ramfs (rw)
    /dev/se/2 on /shares/MYVOLUME1 type reiserfs (rw)

Reiserfs it is....
    Hmmm....I think knoppix should be able to read a reiserfs formatted disk.
    I'll try to find info on this.
    Thanx leonsio.

I finally got an answer from Asus....it raises more questions then it answers...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxCorvette
    I'm also using the WL-700 for NAS perposes and have set up that the internal drive is mirrored to
    an external USB-HDD.
    Now I'm wondering if the router or internal hard drive fails how I'm able to get the data of the mirrored
    drive.
    I'm guessing it's a linux filesystem, but yesterday I tried accesing the USB drive from within a Knopix
    boot CD startup and it told me there was an unknown filesystem on the USB-HDD.
    Can you tell me what OS can acces the mirrored drive? Or wich Filesystem is used?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus
    The mirror means that if the files are over
    the size of one disk and then it will automatically saved on the other disk just like one disk.
    the HDD inside is formatted as EXT2/EXT3. It is a linux format. So you can use linux to take a
    look at it.
    Well I tried to do this with the mirrored disk I had setup, but Knoppix wasn't able to mount/reqognize the disk. But I have to say that that router went back DOA because one of the USB ports wasn't working.
    Now I have a new WL700ge and setup the mirror again. Haven't checked yet if Knoppix is able to read it now [it takes 4,5 hours to mount the disk!!].
    But Asus came back to me with another answer regarding the for me somewhat strange 'mirror' function...it sound more like JBOD mode then a mirror mode.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxCorvette
    As i understood from the manual and reviews on the net, the mirror option is like a normal raid1
    solution, you are explaining it as if it is JBOD mode.
    There is a mirror option and a spare option.
    I think you explained how the spare option works, or am I mistaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus
    i checked that before i replied you. In fact i also thought here mirror meaned the things on Raid0 are the same with the ones on Raid1. But here maybe it is different. And i will also check that in future. So as i said last time, it means if you have overwritten the hard disk, then it will automatically be written on the other disk.
    Has anyone else setup the mirror or spare option in the diskmanagment?
    Or am I the only one that thought it was a nice option to have a raid1 setup on the router??
    Is anyone able to access a disk formatted with the WL-700ge on a regular Linux system?

Also the bootlog shown here shows clearly it has a reiserfs partition on it...makes me wonder if Asus know anything about their own product
    I'll try to access it with a knoppix DVD [haven't setup Linux on HDD], this should work? or not?

thank you for any help on this subject you can give me...