Thread: For those with a PS3 using the wl-700ge as a media server...

For those with a PS3 using the wl-700ge as a media server...

If you are using your wl-700ge as a media server to a PS3 (w/ fw 1.8 or higher), you might, as I did, find out that the asus included media server worked but crashed a lot.

Well, after much searching and testing uShare did work for connecting but couldn't render the files on the PS3. The fine folks over at geebox updated the uShare src to support the PS3, and with the gracious help of oleo on these forums, the ipkg in oleg/cross/stable is now updated to 1.0. This version is more stable (thus far) and now works (audio and video so far) with the PS3.

So, the alternate media server uShare is out there if anyone else is interested.

I'm interested in using my 700g for streaming to the PS3.
    What firmware are you using? where can I get it and with all the packages needned?

Thanx!

Well, if you are not using the kfurge custom firmware for the wl-700ge (1.4.6 2a) and are still using the default asus flavor, turning on the media server in the GUI will work. I suspect that you will also get many crashes as I did using the ASUS media server.

If you are running the custom firmware, all you need to do is install the ushare ipkg just like any other ipkg (make sure it's 1.0+), then edit the ushare.conf (use vi or nano etc), launch ushsare and that's basically it. Of course you will need to turn off the default asus media server in the gui.

I have uploaded the 2.0.0.7 FW . If I search for media servers from the PS3, it finds the WL 700 but I cannot see my mp3 files, or photo files or video files. With the 1.0.4.6 FW I could stream my files but I had several crashes. Can anybody help me Please?

I'm now using the 1.0.4.6_kc_2a firmware but one week ago I was using the 2.0.0.7 firmware and I had no problems streaming my music and video from the WL700gE to iTunes and/or PS3 .

Just make sure your media files are stored in the directories "exported" by the router (defaults are ../MYSHARE1/Music and ../MYSHARE1/Video).

Hope this helps,

P.V.

Thank you for the TIP, but the files are in the correct folders. Yesterday I managed to steam finaly, I don't know how I did it. I think that it just happened. Today without changing any settings the media server cannot be found any more by the PS3. Very strange!!!
    Last edited by Plumber; 29-08-2007 at 12:50.

Edit: I have the same problems. It gets disconnected, it stops streaming, u cant see a film from the beging to the end or listen to music. I have the 2.0.0.7 FW, can anybody tell me if the same problems occure with the new FW? If they occure, can anybody guide me step by step to instal the custom firmware and the media server soft ? I am \ newbe in linux. Please help!!
    Last edited by Plumber; 30-08-2007 at 10:24.

I have totally same problem. I want to use uShare media sever which more stable than the one from asus but i dont know which firmware i have to install and how to install kfurge or olegs firmwares. Im also noob in linux. There is guide how to install kfurge under windows but its still pretty difficul to understand for someone who see it for the first time Somebody please help!

Little update. I think i managed install kfurge's firmware, but how can i install uShare and how can i start it Please Help
    Last edited by ValoYossa; 30-08-2007 at 13:20.

I installed the new original FW 1.0.7.8 and the problems are still there, but are much fewer. It is a little bit better. It stops streaming but it does not get disconnected from the media server. Anyway the intervals that it stops are much longer than with the FW 2.0.07 or with the 1.0.4.6.