Thread: ASUS WL-500gP as standalone hotspot server

ASUS WL-500gP as standalone hotspot server

Hi all,

I've looked for some economical solution to make my own hotspot with CHili & Radius with Http & Mysql support.
    My HW choise is WL500gP, because is good described by OpenWRT Wiki and especialy because is high estendibility with 2 x USB ports.
    I had no problems to put OpenWRT firmware, but my problem is what I want to put all necessaryu software on router. I've read many posts about this and all of them talk what mysql isn't possible to put on router (is tobig).
    Well, I suppose that if I attach external HD to my router this problem will no exists, but how I can install ex. Mysql and/or Apache ?

Someone have any suggestions ?
    Thank a lot,
    Alberto.

2. Try adding the LinkSys NSLU2 device to the Asus router, it can server as MySQL and PHP server (has enough horsepower), will draw almost nil electricity (as compared to full grown server). Have a look at the pages at NSLU2 Linux pages. There is a complete description how to install opensource firmware (even full grown Debian Linux distro), install web server (lighttpd, thttpd, apache), php, mysql, postgresql, or anything alike...

I have this setup - Asus WL500g router and NSLU2 with harddisk - working very well...

Jiri