Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wl500gp!

Wl500gp!

Router :Asus WL-500g Premium
    FW : 1.9.6.9
    Internet : 6000 kbit/s down
    House : 2. story house w/basement, all wood, router on 2. floor, office/computer in basement.

THIS IS A LONG ONE.....................

I'm sitting here with my laptop, feeling like I have wasted money and time. Only getting aggrevation in return. I'm no wifi WIZZKID, but ever time a friend buy's something wireless, guess who has to set it up? ME!

I have had 3 routers in 3 years. Two Philips routers and one Belkin. The Belkin was the cheapest and the one woth least functions (Wireless G Router). But it worked with ok speed and signal strength,easy setup. The first Philips (CPWS54) was a piece of cookie to set up and worked flawlessly. But I wanted more functions, so I sold it to a friend. I wanted something "fancy" and ordered the Asus WL-500GP. (In the meantime, I bought a new Philips router (SNB6500) as an interim solution. A shop in Norway has a 30 day return policy on all products, even IF you have used it, eh abused their generosity).

NOW, I have set up the Asus router, everything basic worked and was easy to set up. But I bought it because it had usb ports for HDD and printer. You could also use a webcam. It looked like a bargain....................

I have now spent an entire saturday and sunday trying to get this piece of JUNK to work. Printer is not printing, webcam doesn't work. I have spent my entire weekend, wasting time, trying to get it to do what it says it does. I finally gave up and set up everything in standard mode and went to my office. Downloading from an FTP was slow, browsing seemed slower. I started using several speedtest on the internet.

I noticed I got over 50% REDCTION IN SPEED then compared to the Philips router. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. I have a 6mbit line in to my house. Before I got between 5500 and 6200 down. NOW with my NEW IMPROVED router I ONLY GET 2700 to 3200 kbit/s. WTF....WTFFFFFFFF

So I intsatlled Nettstumbler to monitor everything and what do I find? Moving away from the router, I loose about 50% of signal strength and same amount of noise. When I'm 2m from the router I get 6200 kbit/s down, 1. floor I get 3700 kbit/s and in the office I only get 2500-2800 kbit/s. THIS IS 50% SLOWER THEN WITH A PHILIPS ROUTER HALF THE PRICE.

So, I pay 50% more for a router and get a 50% reduction on wlan speed. AND I CAN'T GET THE F'ING PRINTER TO PRINT, THE WEBCAM TO WEBCAM and I'm starting to really REALLY HATE ASUS.

WHY GOD, WHY? This is just NOT good enogh......I have tried several different setting, I have tried with afterburner on and off......

Basically, IT SUCKS...................................

Have you tried changing wireless chanell from auto to 1, 6 or 11?

Have you enabled Frame Bursting?

Have you installed latest dirvers for your laptop wi-fi card?

Does it support 802.11g? I'm getting 25-35 mbit/sec via wi-fi and up-to 90 mbit/sec using wired connection.

Appreciate the fast respone Oleg. I have been "cruising" this forum for a long time before buying a new router and as far as I can tell, you are "The Goto Guy" as they say in old mafia movies.

Laptop : Toshiba P100
    Wireless card : Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG
    Driver : 10.5.1.59
    Range laptop/router : 0m horisontal, 5-6m vertical (Direct line)
    Connection: Excellent
    Current T Power : [I]~32 mW (100%)[/I

Downloaded the newest drivers from Intel a month ago, even updated the driver when they released a new one fixing memory management problems a week ago.

Everything seems in order, singnal is good. But the speed is terrible.

Another thing is that the speed varies a lot. Sometimes I get 900 kbps and then I get 2900 kbps. (On the stationary connected to the WL-500 I always get over 6000 everytime).

I have tried every channel, there are only two other wifi networks in the area with very low signal.

Framebursting and Afterburner is enabled.........I don't have a microwave, no other wireless equipment. I have tried with Bluetooth on and off. All speed test is done with local/Norwegian sites so it should be accurate. Just got 911 kbps ON A 6000kbps line.... HORRIBLE. I have WPA-2-TKPI enabled, so no one is using my line.

This is the Submler info:

• First couple of minutes is in basement
    • The peak is just next to the router and I gett 6000+ kbps
    • Then I spent some time in 1. floor
    • last couple of minutes is in basement again

Tomorrow I will bring an wifi card from work and try again...

A Philips router delivering better speeds then an Asus router....sounds strange to me.

Later

this router is a crap?!

I bought this router too because of bandwidth manager and it doesn't even work as I expected to.... I tried it with wireless laptop but didn't test it for too long time. I am very suprised to hear that WL-500GP has problems with this too, I think I bring it back to the shop, where I bought it because I have had a lot of problem with it since I use....
    With asus fw 1.9.6.7 (which was factory default fw in my router) I couldn't even UPLOAD to ftp!!!! what the hell, never heard about such a big bug....

This router is a shame, I am very disappointed

hi sebastian, I had similar problem (not quite, but some similarity is there) but then I was checking web through google and I have found that intel wifi modules may not work properly with some AP. they recommend to upgrade firmware in your AP, but as an temoprary solution they recommend to turn Power management of your wifi card to Highest. (Connections->wifi adapter->properties->advanced->configure->power management->highest) I also noticed I had no problem with mi wifi card until I installed newest drivers for my intel wifi card. Finally I replaced them with older and set power management for highest vale... now it is working (I will also try to lower that value to find out whether it is fault of new drivers)

Just give it try.

edit: I forgot to mention that I had no troubles connecting with other notebook with intel wifi but without the newest drivers and also no problems connecting wih iBook
    Last edited by Pedro83; 04-09-2006 at 09:52.

Intel & AP's

Looks like you have found out the same thing as me. I've spent some more time with this issue, searching the web (Since we are not allowed "to Google" stuff any more........). This is what I found out on the Intel web:

" Symptom(s):
    If the wireless access point / wireless gateway does not properly support the PSP feature, intermittent loss of wireless connection, inability to initiate a wireless connection, or poor wireless connection data performance could result. The symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:
    In a mobile environment, power save polling mode is a feature for extended battery life for mobile stations. The capability requires coordination between the access point and the laptop's wireless adapter for proper operations. Intel has discovered the feature may not be implemented correctly or completely in some wireless access points or wireless gateway devices.

Solution:
    Contact the access point vendor for an updated software which corrects the problem.

As a temporary workaround, manually set the adapter to CAM (continually aware mode), which disables the PSP capability. To do this, in either Intel® PROSet for Wireless Software or the Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA), in the power management section, uncheck the DEFAULT / AUTO selection and set the slider for HIGHEST / MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE "

The thing is, I found almost every feature of the WL-500gP a "hassle" to set up and I still haven't been able to make it "work like it should". SO even if I get it "up to speed" there are quite a few boogeys in the box.

I tried with an 3Com Wireless USB dongle and I got 6300 kbps in the basement with it, it worked like a dream. The Intel chip still only gave me 1800-2500 kbps. I'll try turning off the power management feature and post the results after work today. SO is it Asus or Intel's fault?

In my opinion, Asus SHOULD make their devices work with one of the major manufacturers of onboard/internal wlan. Especialy power saving modes, because this is very important for most of laptop users.

Smile Still happy with my 500gP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian78 View Post
    Looks like you have found out the same thing as me. I've spent some more time with this issue, searching the web (Since we are not allowed "to Google" stuff any more........). This is what I found out on the Intel web:

" Symptom(s):
    If the wireless access point / wireless gateway does not properly support the PSP feature, intermittent loss of wireless connection, inability to initiate a wireless connection, or poor wireless connection data performance could result. The symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:
    In a mobile environment, power save polling mode is a feature for extended battery life for mobile stations. The capability requires coordination between the access point and the laptop's wireless adapter for proper operations. Intel has discovered the feature may not be implemented correctly or completely in some wireless access points or wireless gateway devices.

Solution:
    Contact the access point vendor for an updated software which corrects the problem.

As a temporary workaround, manually set the adapter to CAM (continually aware mode), which disables the PSP capability. To do this, in either Intel® PROSet for Wireless Software or the Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA), in the power management section, uncheck the DEFAULT / AUTO selection and set the slider for HIGHEST / MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE "

The thing is, I found almost every feature of the WL-500gP a "hassle" to set up and I still haven't been able to make it "work like it should". SO even if I get it "up to speed" there are quite a few boogeys in the box.

I tried with an 3Com Wireless USB dongle and I got 6300 kbps in the basement with it, it worked like a dream. The Intel chip still only gave me 1800-2500 kbps. I'll try turning off the power management feature and post the results after work today. SO is it Asus or Intel's fault?

In my opinion, Asus SHOULD make their devices work with one of the major manufacturers of onboard/internal wlan. Especialy power saving modes, because this is very important for most of laptop users.
    It is indeed not quite simple to get this device working as it should, but I still don't see many alternatives that I can set up as wireless router, print server, web server and network storage. Right now it all works fine to me (the distances in my house are limited), so the advise not to buy this device is a bit overstated I guess. Maybe I'm just so happy because I used to have some really old crap that only one in a while really worked, but I still think it is very useful and a nice value for money.

BR
    Martin

Well, guys, Intel WiFi cards are the crap. Really. The power management issue is well known too. As for access point software - the wi-fi stuff is written by Broadcom and it's widely tested for sure. I've no problems with Prism54g/Prism2/Orinoco/Atheros/Broadcom cards. The only problem is Intel!

Linksys/Bufallo/etc... use the same wi-fi software as ASUS, as it's closed source and Broadcom redistributes binaries. For me it looks like Intel ignores something in wi-fi specs or treats this differently. Perhaps Intel guys just fighting with Broadcom... This issue is about 3 years old...

As for printers: cheap printers are requiring firmware to be uploaded before they would work. Some are requiring direct access from the host. No print servers is able to do so, except native ones. So, if you bought a cheap Windows Only printer, don't blame print server.

Well the thing actually IS working

I am not very happy about the ASUS original firmware and its web interface, but the thing is - after you set it up step by step - everything is working. I just do not know any other router at this price which would be able to offer all the options:

-> ssh access
    -> complete firewall configurability
    -> ipkg installable packages
    -> USB HDD
    -> downloads as you please (torrent, ftp, http)
    -> print server
    -> I probably forgot something ...

Have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and an old HP Deskjet 970c printer.

The 7660 is connected to the router
    The 970c is connected to a Dell desktop computer
    My laptop is conneted via Wlan
    My dell is connected to the router with lan

The router recognises the 7660 and it's online, but I can't get it to print. (YES I have done what Asus tells me to do, to the point. But it seems like it requires something thats not listed from Asus.

I am btw able to print to the 970c when the Dell is powered thru the router. My laptop automatically found the 970c and everything worked flawlessly.

Another thing is that I can't find the webcam "list" Asus is talking about.

Question : Why didn't my "old" Philips router have any problem with m Intel wifi card?

My opinion is that Asus makes good hw but LOUSY SW...

YES, it is a bit harsh to say "DON'T BUY ASUS" but I have now set up 3Com, Belkin, Philips, Netgear and Linkys routers. Every one was less hassle then this Asus one. It's perhaps because of the added features, BUT it SHOULD work as stated on the box it came in (AND Asus marketing). If it doesn't, it's breach of marketing.

This box, if it would work as Asus SAYS it work, would be the most amazing thing since Oreo's......seriously, it would be amazin.

In many ways you are right

As I said - the ASUS software is not polished at all. By far not the way NETGEAR soft/interface is for example. The reason why I think ASUS is worth buying - it is because you can replace that software.

The point is - you are not limited with what NETGEAR or other vendor has provided - you can put in all you want. So far ASUS seams very reasonable hardware that will do its basic functions out of box. As you said - for more advanced things - it sucks. But then there is Oleg's firmware, openwrt and guides created by people like you and me on how to set up these functions.

...enough said, keep it real...

Red face

YES, it is a bit harsh to say "DON'T BUY ASUS" but I have now set up 3Com, Belkin, Philips, Netgear and Linkys routers. Every one was less hassle then this Asus one. It's perhaps because of the added features, BUT it SHOULD work as stated on the box it came in (AND Asus marketing). If it doesn't, it's breach of marketing.

This box, if it would work as Asus SAYS it work, would be the most amazing thing since Oreo's......seriously, it would be amazin.
    Well, as far as I experience all feature work like promised. Nothing more, nothing less. Only issue is that the router takes a lot of time to restart or update and that the internal pages sometimes are not to be reached.

And if you think the interface is hard to work with you might do some soul searching....(or take a wireless networking class)

Question : Why didn't my "old" Philips router have any problem with m Intel wifi card?
    Perhaps it's Atheros based and perhaps Intel guys does not fighting with Atheros? Perhaps Atheros ahs added some hacks to make Intel users happy.

Look, Broadcom is establishing wi-fi standards. Broadcom is offering most complicated solution with bunch of features, which is requiring strict standard compliance. Yes, it's very annoying, that Intel SW still has problems with 802.11g certified access points.

I'm not a Broadcom advocate, but Intel is "no name" in the wireless networking. Really. Yes, the customer should not care about compatibility, but the reality is different. Intel is aware of these problems, but have not changed anything.

Yes, ASUS firmware is the piece of crap too (for about 3 years already), but mostly we need right hardware to make a silent router, not the whole-in-one-wonder-machine. So, if you need plug-and-play thing, just buy another less complicated device.

Why not?

Here's my "WHY not buy the WL-500gP" :

• Asus has lousy firmware!

It's GREAT that we have people like Oleg who tinker with sw for products like this, but it should be for people who want extra features or wants to do something special with their routers and want to learn more about networking. Not because the FW supplied doesn't work. People buy this product and can't get their head arround it. Wifi is hard enough for "ordinary" people, we don't need a product like this for the "mainstream". I know quite a bit about networking, but not enough.

• There are a lot of small bugs in the FW!

Aaaah, it's hard to love something that sucks this much. What can I say, just take a look around this forum and you can see people having more problems then an insecure teenager at her first day of school.

• Updates are few and far between

They don't come when we need them and they don't fix what they say they do. Just look around on this forum....people are getting fed up.

• Hardly any webcams work with the "Webcam" function

I can't find the "Supported Webcams" on the Asus site and it's not easy looking thru here to find one that does. It's a function that is mentioned so that people by the router, so it should "just work" and Asus should be the one to tell you which webcam it works with.

• It not easy to set up a printer

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrgggggrevation

• Transfer speed with a HDD connected to the USB port is slow

It's not recomendable to use ut as a media hub or large files. So why do you need a 160GB wlan HDD?

• It's not 100% compatible with the majority of internal wfi cards sold (Intel)

Oh well, don't you just love a good thing. Throughput is not constant, speed bounces up and down. Sometimes I get 6300 kbps, then the next second I get 600 kbps. This is with powersaving mode TURNED OF GUYS AND GALS!!!

• ASUS support is probably the WORST of any company at the moment...

This forum is amazing, BUT PEOPLE SHOULDENT HAVE TO USE THIS FORUM FOR PROBLEMS THAT ASUS SHOULD HELP YOU WITH. They sell you a faulty device, then they don't help you with it afterwards. It's like "It doesn't work? Oh, sorry there is nothing we can do for you"

• Basically, It does not do what it says on the box....

I hate, I HATE ASUS AT THE MOMENT. IT'S THE WORST ROUTER I HAVE EVER USED.....Off course, some people will have fewer problems, BUT NOT MENY WILL GET IT TO DO WHAT IT SAYS IT DOES without a lot of searching this forum....

I am only talking about the standard FW in this post, because that's what counts for MOST people.

Do NOT under ANY circumstance BUY this product, because you WILL get dissapointed...

Sebastian, Norway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast