Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WL500g Premium - 7f-pre6 - URGENT ... now -pre7

I have installed olegs 1.9.2.7-7f-pre7 firmware on my router.

I now want to install the firmware asus supplied. I have download the file "WL500gp_1.9.6.9_TW.trx" from their site. But when I select the file in firmware upgrade and select upgrade. The router write it will take about 80 seconds..... Then after about 1 minute, the screen reloads as it should. But nothing has happend, the firmware is still "olegs 1.9.2.7-7f-pre7"?

How can I roll back to the asus firmware?

Use firmware restoration tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    Use firmware restoration tool.
    already use it!
    the firmware is still "olegs 1.9.2.7-7f-pre7"

Quote Originally Posted by dunatos View Post
    already use it!
    the firmware is still "olegs 1.9.2.7-7f-pre7"
    try tftp'ing it while in diag mode

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    try tftp'ing it while in diag mode
    what is command "tftp"?
    and how to use it?

Please provide a step

Quote Originally Posted by dunatos View Post
    what is command "tftp"?
    and how to use it?

Please provide a step
    well check this thread http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1329

who should we bother to have the docs?

Read above.

No tech doc is available for this facility and there is no code utilizing it... Well, perhaps they're using the same arch as for accelerators, but nobody checked this.
    Is it something that can be exploited for ssh too or just for the wifi part?

Who should we flood with emails to make the docs public?
    On my (our as users) part it seems a definitively good investment to try to put you in the condition to improve the firmware further.

thx for the workaround and the reply

The router "dies" with ASUS firmware too and DD-WRT as well.
    I can confirm this. In my case it "died" with OpenWRT, see http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=7050 O.k. I build my own OpenWRT and maybe I did something wrong. But my build messages and results didn't look like that at first sight. I could only reanimate the router with PIN 9 (see also here: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=35121#post35121 ). Before, I already observed strange nvram values: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=34696#post34696 (I posted some nvram excerpts at the end of the post.)

So, if all this is true, Oleg has the only save firmware at the moment (with his workarounds)! Great work again, Oleg!

And here are my questions: Perhaps, I would like to change to Oleg's new firmware, even though I like OpenWRT, too. Are there any possibilities that Oleg's firmware does not have? Especially I want to access a DVD via USB and samba! Therefore I need USB-stuff, Samba-stuff and Kernel-filesystem-module for ISO9660 and UDF.

And I want to boot any customized firmware of my choice from an usb-medium. (This way I never need to do the PIN 9 again when I hacked too much.) Is it possible to boot from usb-media with Oleg's firmware like with OpenWRT? (http://wiki.openwrt.org/UsbStorageHo...ht=%28HowTo%29) Or vice versa: let OpenWRT on Asus and boot Oleg's from usb-medium somehow? Are the firmwares all the same: a busybox that can be "easily" bootet with

exec /bin/busybox init ?

Best regards

Thorsten

Question Full memory already available with new Firmware?

I installed the WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre7.trx two days ago on my WL500gP. I followed the tutorial http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5909 to install several packages. The only part I skipped was the "Extend RAM to 32MB" section of that tutorial, because free returns the following on my box:
    Code:
                  total         used         free       shared      buffers
      Mem:        30140        28684         1456            0         1048
     Swap:       136544         2804       133740
    Total:       166684        31488       135196
    So it seems to me, that the 32MB memory are already available. Has the latest firmware version been modified to support the 32MB out of the box? If I look at the sdram values in the nvram I find the following values:
    Code:
    sdram_ncdl=0x507
    sdram_init=0x0009
    The value "sdram_ncdl=0x507" differs from the "sdram_ncdl=0" in the tutorial. My question is now, if I would gain anything from setting the ncdl value in nvram, since the 32MB seems already available to me...

Tanks for your help,
    Kosh

I would like to know, what are the main improvements if I upgrade to pref7 firmware. I'm not such a "power user" like most of you guys here... so I need a simple answer.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PartyZan View Post
    I would like to know, what are the main improvements if I upgrade to pref7 firmware. I'm not such a "power user" like most of you guys here... so I need a simple answer.

Thank you!
    This depends on the firmware which you've at the moment. If you've one of my firmwares before -pre6, then you should uprade for sure. The changes are internal to keep your router working when nvram fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    The value "sdram_ncdl=0x507" differs from the "sdram_ncdl=0" in the tutorial. My question is now, if I would gain anything from setting the ncdl value in nvram, since the 32MB seems already available to me...
    You've 32MB enabled. ncdl == 0 is used to automagically tune memory timings. Once booted it would be set to different value, so 0x507 is also valid...

Quote Originally Posted by IvanS View Post
    Is it something that can be exploited for ssh too or just for the wifi part?
    Mostly by IPSec.
    Who should we flood with emails to make the docs public?
    Broadcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Banane View Post
    I can confirm this. In my case it "died" with OpenWRT, see http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=7050
    Actually, the fix is possible for openwrt too... There are 2 patches in my sources which are fixing this...

Hi Oleg!

Actually, the fix is possible for openwrt too... There are 2 patches in my sources which are fixing this...
    Well, send OpenWRT your fix! :-) As far as I remember from some posts you have already been in contact with them. Why not? If I could help a little bit, ..., but I (am only a "newbie" and) believe it is far more efficient if you're communicating with mbm, nbd and so on yourself :-)

I assume they are developing on "kamikaze" mainly . Don't know If they would patch WR5 for one device (of several supported) , that did not exist and has never been supported "officially" till march or so . If they do not patch, it would not "help" people, that do not compile the "bleeding" edge and want to use "stable" WR5. Perhaps there are still other possibilities, but may be a more complicated situation for WR5 with 500gP, but your fix still could be used for kamikaze!

Best regards

Thorsten

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast