Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use an USB-serial port converter

Enable stty?

How do I enable the stty command on my asus 500g?

I'm trying to make the router communicate with a microcontroller. The microcontroller drives a robot that i have built, which has object recognition capabilities. I will be very greatful if someone could help me with this.

Looking for binary!

Does anyone have a firmware binary that has the stty command enabled for the busybox?

Quote Originally Posted by vlad75
    Come on now! Anyone???
    Did you try to search forum? You should find a link to compiled (a bit old but perhaps still working) busybox v1.00-pre5. Try the attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you very much . I'm quite new to linux so can you please tell me how I install the busybox binary on my router?

Quote Originally Posted by vlad75
    Thank you very much . I'm quite new to linux so can you please tell me how I install the busybox binary on my router?
    Just copy to some directory and run... USB flash disk preferred.

Serial port using TCP?

I have attached a microcontroller to my 500g using an usb -> serial converter. I can now read and write to the microcontroller using a telnet client. Now I want to write a program on a stationary computer that should read and write to the microcontroller using a TCP connection, but I don't know which port number the serial port has on the router or if this is the right way to go?. Please help me, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The registered driver looks like this:
    Jan 1 00:01:12 kernel: usb.c: registered new driver serial
    Jan 1 00:01:12 kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
    Jan 1 00:01:12 kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
    Jan 1 00:01:22 kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
    Jan 1 00:01:22 kernel: usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter detected
    Jan 1 00:01:22 kernel: usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
    Jan 1 00:01:22 kernel: pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.11

Connect to serial port

Can I connect to my serial port on my Asus 500g (using usb -> serial converter) using anything else then a telnet client?.

I also have some problems with the usb-serial-FTDI module...
    It works, but I don't get "newline"... and if I echo a lot of chars, it stops after the first 100 or so...

If you know the solution, please post it here.

thanks.

UPDATE:I just solved this problem...
    I recompiled usbserial.o and ftdi_sio.o
    (from oleg's custom fw),
    and now it's working...

PS: [Technik] : Empty your mailbox!!! you want to send you a PM!!
    Last edited by gwl; 21-01-2006 at 02:47.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

Can you post your newly compiled drivers (usbserial.o and ftdi_sio.o)? I have a ftdi module that won't work, maybe the new drivers also solve my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sodb
    Can you post your newly compiled drivers (usbserial.o and ftdi_sio.o)? I have a ftdi module that won't work, maybe the new drivers also solve my problems.
    Here it is... (tested with Oleg's 1.9.2.7-6b)
    use:
    insmod ./usbserial.o
    insmod ./ftdi_sio.o

Attached Files Attached Files
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

Works great for me to! However I have another question. Can I connect to the serial port on the router from a computer connected to the network?

Simple question!

I have this row in my logfile:

Code:
    Jan 25 16:43:09 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:04.0-1, assigned address 2
    What does this line say? What do the numbers mean?
    Last edited by vlad75; 25-01-2006 at 22:16.

It tells you there has been a new usb device detected on the router (not neccecary a single device, can be part of a multi-endpoint device) and that no driver for it is loaded or avaliable.

The numbers are internal numberings of the kernal for usb-devices, you can savely ignore them for now. think of a sort of path-description to the device from kernal-view.

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

TCP server

I want to run a TCP server on my asus 500g to be able to connect to my serial device, attached to the USB port (using serial -> USB converter), from a remote computer. Someone must have done this before. Where should I look? Any ideas?

Problem reading from serial port

When reading from the serial port using command cat /dev/usb/tts/0 I must send about 4000 characters to the port (from a external serial device) before anything is printed in the terminal window of the router. I suspect that it happens when the buffer is full. Can this be a bug or am I doing anything wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast