Thread: Maximum output: 1000 Mw! (?)

Maximum output: 1000 Mw! (?)

Somehow the txpwr1 has changed for good (together with the country code: from DE Germany to GB) and now i have the following txpwr figures:

TxPower is 120 qdbm, 30.00 dbm, 1000 mW Override is Off

So what about that? Seems to me that 1000 Mw is a bit heavy... Should I correct this and how? I'm running the latest original Asus firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieZ
    Somehow the txpwr1 has changed for good (together with the country code: from DE Germany to GB) and now i have the following txpwr figures:

TxPower is 120 qdbm, 30.00 dbm, 1000 mW Override is Off

So what about that? Seems to me that 1000 Mw is a bit heavy... Should I correct this and how? I'm running the latest original Asus firmware.
    I'm just guessing:

In different countries, there are different rules about the allowed power with wireless devices. It might be possible that Asus implemented those rules so the WL changes its maximum power to the allowed power in that country.

But where do you find that TxPower and the country code? I guess it's not the time-zone-setting

That is it. But I wonder if the 1000 Mw is healthy for the modem.

It's not in the configuration screen of the router. You can manually input commands thru the hidden admin page: http://router_ip/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

With the command "WL cmds"you can see an overview of the commands. Because guessing what they do is not very recommendable, I found a page with explanation of commands (another type WL, but most are the same) at: http://www.myotis.ch/wiki/tiki-downl...t.php?attId=26

Quote Originally Posted by EddieZ View Post
    That is it. But I wonder if the 1000 Mw is healthy for the modem.
    Judging that most modems only send 10 mW (I know this is not a technically determined value, but legally) so setting 100x higher is not wise imho. Be sure to provide aditional cooling and keep a close eye on the WLAN module at first.

My concern too. But in default it is set to this capability. And changing back to the normal legal Mw does not seem to work though, only temporary thru "wl txpwr 70" command

My guess is that if the WL500gP sets to 1000 mW when saying it's in the UK, my guess is that that amount of power shouldn't be a problem. I think it would be strange if Asus created a device which also could be used in the UK but would get overheated because of standard settings....

Perhaps 1400 mW could be too much but the 1000 mW shouldn't be a problem.... ?? But keeping an eye on the gP wouldn't hurt

I'm trying to get my gP set to the UK but the system command doesn't do anything but refresh and say 'none'. What firmware do you use? I downloaded 1969 but that file is huge (140 MB) en doesn't seem to contain a ready-to-upload firmware file.
    Last edited by wfvn; 14-08-2006 at 10:37.

In your other thread i put a direct link to the driver only. Here it is: http://www.citadel.nu/WL500gp_1969_TW.zip

I put it in GB mode whiole trying some things I saw on the forum and are supposed to work only with the modded firmware. Seems it also does with the original. This is the thread: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...hlight=country

In order to effectuate the WL command, you need to click on refresh, not <enter>!

The TX Power Setting on my WL-500gp original out of the box is (with command wl txpwr1):

TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW Override is Off
    so I don't understand the problems about the Power