Thread: st510 and wl500g best config ?

st510 and wl500g best config ?

Ok I've been fumbling around and it takes a lot of time to get nowhere.
    I've read a dozen off newsgroups and threads but I can't succeed

What I want is this:
    adsl---speedtouch510--- wan port WL500G -w-i-r-e-l-e-s-s--> pc
    AND being able to access my pc and router from WAN.

I know the speedtouch has got a router too !
    But since wl500g should be so good I want to use it's router and disable the router function of the st510.

There are 3 ways so I understand:
    1) SIP spoofing.....I don't have a static IP from wanadoo I get one assigned by a DHCP server so I will not use SIP spoofing

2) PPTP - st510=transparent - wl500g logs in. The WL500g gets an IP address (10.0.0.150) and I can surf the net. HOWEVER I can not get to the wl500G from WAN let alone to my pc. How should I set the routing functions ??????

3) DHCP spoofing -st510=logs in to wanadoo and gives the received IP to the WL500G - I see the WL500g gets an IP address. But I can in now way go from LAN to WAN. Pinging wl500g works. Pinging dns server wanadoo DOESN'T

I have got the feeling that I am either forgetting something which is important or that the wl500g is not working like I should.

Can somebody tell me what my settings should be ??????

regards,

kraai.

kraai,

It could be that your Internet provider's gateway IP address is not in the same subnet as your Internet IP address. This seems to be the case with some ADSL providers.

For example, if your Internet IP address is 11.22.33.44 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and your ISP's gateway IP address is different from 11.22.33.x (x any number from 1-254) then they are on a different subnet.

The solution is to add a static route to your ISP's gateway IP address, then add a default route using this gateway.

If you are running Oleg's firmware, you can do this temporarily by doing a telnet to your router's LAN IP address, logging in and entering the following commands (ofcourse replacing the placeholder with a real IP adress):

route add -host <ISP gateway's IP address> eth1
    route add default gw <ISP gateway's IP address>

If you are running stock Asus firmware you could possibly open the URL: http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp
    and paste the line:

route add -host <ISP gateway's IP address> eth1; route add default gw <ISP gateway's IP address>

into the "System Command" box, then click "Refresh". (NOTE: I haven't tested this!)

(I expected to see these routes getting wiped away at the next DHCP lease renew, but somehow (luckily) they stayed.)

You may also want to stop the SpeedTouch renewing the DHCP lease like crazy (once every 30 seconds no less).
    Look in the template or ".ini" file you upload for DHCP spoofing for a line like:

pool config name=SPOOF_pool index=0 leasetime=30 unnumbered=yes

and change the "leasetime=30" to "leasetime=7200", then re-upload.
    This will give you some extra breathing time between DHCP renewals.

Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    kraai,

It could be that your Internet provider's gateway IP address is not in the same subnet as your Internet IP address. This seems to be the case with some ADSL providers.
    Thanks Miki.

That's true in my case !

But I am not sure what the solution is for.
    Again I have been doing some reading. This is how I see it. Correct me if I am wrong:

For reference the def gw of wanadoo: 195.190.245.64
    My ip address:83.x.x.x. Subnet mask 255.0.0.0 (definitely another subnet !)

The routing table is for the traffic between WAN and LAN.

I put a route in for wanadoo gateway which tells the router that all traffic outside the subnet of the WAN interface should go to eth1 (=WAN ?)
    Then I say all packets not fullfilling an existing route should go to the wanadoo def gw

So this must be the solution for using DHCP spoofing.
    This doesn't do anything for packets entering from WAN to LAN ?
    Only from LAN to WAN....
    I tried here at work. I cannot get the loginscreen from my router by entering my ip address in a browser.

Or is that because I use a pptp connection and should thus make a VPN connetion the my router ?

Sorry if these questions are really simple. As you can see I am a noob !

I apologize for my late reply, I have been very busy the last few days...

Quote Originally Posted by kraai
    Thanks Miki.

That's true in my case !

Again I have been doing some reading. This is how I see it. Correct me if I am wrong:

Well, actually it is for traffic from (W)LAN to WAN (and beyond...)

I put a route in for wanadoo gateway which tells the router that all traffic outside the subnet of the WAN interface should go to eth1 (=WAN ?)
    Then I say all packets not fullfilling an existing route should go to the wanadoo def gw
    You're right, and yes, eth1 is the WAN interface on the Asus (or at leas in Home Gateway mode as far as I know).

Only from LAN to WAN....
    I tried here at work. I cannot get the loginscreen from my router by entering my ip address in a browser.
    You still need to do port forwarding on the Asus for any services on your LAN you want to be accessible from the Internet. Your Asus is still doing NAT on the traffic going through it, only now the SpeedTouch isn't trying to do the same thing...
    A big advantage of using DHCP spoofing with the Asus router is that you can now use Universal Plug and Play to let applications on your PCs change the port forwarding automatically.

Or is that because I use a pptp connection and should thus make a VPN connetion the my router ?
    I have read that Wanadoo will be switching from L2TP to DHCP. Until that time, you probably don't need/cannot use DHCP spoofing. After the switch, you won't need to make a PPTP connection anymore.

Sorry if these questions are really simple. As you can see I am a noob
    !
    No problem! We can all learn from each other :-)

-
    Miki

ST510 and WL500g config

I have this configuration, rename the file in user.ini..
    With this configuration, the speed touch is in bridge mode, so it acts as a modem. The IP of the ST is 192.168.0.44 and the password XXXXX. You can change these values in the file.
    Youn can see an excellent site for all the configuration and modifications of the various ST : www.forpage.com (but it is in french!).

Best regards,

Alain.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have read that Wanadoo will be switching from L2TP to DHCP. Until that time, you probably don't need/cannot use DHCP spoofing. After the switch, you won't need to make a PPTP connection anymore.
    I think they already use DHCP. Because I am asigned an address automatically.
    I used DHCP spoofing on my modem. By adding the routes to my wl500g manually is works perfectly. I can even login to the router from work now.
    To bad the webcam doesn't work as it should on <myip>:7777

Is there a way to add the routing to my tables more permanently ?

regards,

kraai

To bad the webcam doesn't work as it should on <myip>:7777
    Perhaps you are trying to connect to the data port directly. (I've read somewhere on this forum that this gives you only ASCII gibberish). If you access your router's Web config from the internet on port 8080, you could try this URL:

http://<your Internet IP address>:8080/ShowWebCam.asp

Is there a way to add the routing to my tables more permanently ?
    Not yet I'm afraid. Hopefully Oleg will add the necessary changes to his next firmware release.

Miki

Not yet I'm afraid. Hopefully Oleg will add the necessary changes to his next firmware release.

Miki
    You can use bootCmd commands of course! Introduced few months ago... Search the forum or Oleg's website (http://wl500g.dyndns.org)for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    You can use bootCmd commands of course! Introduced few months ago... Search the forum or Oleg's website (http://wl500g.dyndns.org)for examples.
    Thanks! I didn't realize that these are executed after the IP address etc. gets assigned by DHCP.
    You can use the following (replace <N> with next free index, and be sure to use single quotes!)

# nvram set bootCmd<N>='(. /var/state/udhcpc/dhclient.state && /sbin/route add -host $router dev $interface && /sbin/route add default gw $router)'
    # nvram commit

This takes the gateway address and interface straight from the DHCP assignment.
    I have tested this on my box, and it seems to work just fine.
    In case your ISP changes your config, you will need to reboot the router for the new routes to take effect, that's why we will eventually want a more permanent solution.

Miki
    Last edited by Miki; 20-07-2004 at 02:37.

Thanks Miki.

That's true in my case !

Only from LAN to WAN....

Sorry if these questions are really simple. As you can see I am a noob !
    I have almost the same situation as kraai: Wanadoo Adsl -> Thomson Speedtouch 510 -> Asus 500g

I want to connect to the ftp server on the asus router. Connection form lan gives no problems, but wan is troubled by the speedtouch router functionality.

So I tried DHCP spoofing on the speedtouch and it looks like it worked. My asus obtained the right ip adress from wanadoo.
    The def gw of wanadoo 195.190.249.29 and my ip address:83.x.x.x. are on another subnet. So I tried to add a route to the gateway with telnet:

route add -host 195.190.249.29 eth1
    route add default gw 195.190.249.29

both commands gave errors, did I make a mistake?

Is it normal that I cannot ping the gateway? At this moment I have my internet connection back to normal and connected 1 pc directly to the speedtouch, I am able to surf the net and pinging a dns server is no problem, but I cannot ping the gateway.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldchatterman
    route add -host 195.190.249.29 eth1
    route add default gw 195.190.249.29

both commands gave errors, did I make a mistake?
    update:

the first command gave no answer
    the second command answers with SIOCADDRT: network is unreachable

I still get the right IP adress on the router so can somebody help me to get the routing to the gw ok?