Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Part One - WL-500g Premium

Quote Originally Posted by thohmann View Post
    Hi funmen,

I`m not able to help but I'll let you know that you are not alone .
    Same Problem to me. I have partitioned my hard disk again but no write access during the mount. Hope someone can help here.

See:

Sharing answers will help us both

Best regards,

Thomas
    I found a mistake and I think you did the same.

I have partitioned my harddisk with an external program. Now I tried to format the disk with the internal fdisk of the router..... and system was able to mount the filesystem. --strange-- Try it out, hopefully it will help.

Extend RAM to 32MB
    I add some NVRAM variables on WL-500g Premium V2.After reboot,My WL-500g can not boot.I try push reset botton,but it did not any response.How's to do it recovery?

Code:
    nvram set sdram_init=0x0009
    nvram set sdram_ncdl=0
    nvram commit
    reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Blue View Post

Step 2 - Prepare disk
    1) Connect disk to router
    2) Start putty in Windows (all the remaining actions should be performed in line mode, not web interface). Point it to 192.168.1.1, telnet, keyboard with Linux function keys. You can save 3 profiles in putty, one for Telnet (from LAN), and two for SSH (from LAN and WAN). Paste lines in putty with right click on mouse.
    3) Format the disk with 3 primary partitions, first with +512M for swap (select type 82), second with +1G (for /opt), and 3rd with the rest. Use fdisk help to guide you.
    Code:
    insmod scsi_mod && insmod sd_mod && insmod usb-storage && sleep 5s
    fdisk /dev/discs/disc0/disc
    4) Reboot
    Code:
    reboot
    5) Format and mount the disk
    Code:
    insmod scsi_mod && insmod sd_mod && insmod usb-storage && sleep 5s
    mkswap /dev/discs/disc0/part1
    swapon /dev/discs/disc0/part1
    mke2fs -j /dev/discs/disc0/part2
    mount /dev/discs/disc0/part2 /opt
    mke2fs -j /dev/discs/disc0/part3
    I got this message: Unable to open /dev/discs/disc0/disc

extend RAM to 32 MB

Hi

I have the same problem as bugio (at least I think so).

After adding the NVRAM variables and the reboot, I can't reach the router (WL-500g Premium V2/oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-10 ) anymore. Now all 4 LAN and the WAN lights are constantly shining.
    Reset button doesn't help.

Is there a possibility to solve this problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devat View Post
    Hi

I have the same problem as bugio (at least I think so).

After adding the NVRAM variables and the reboot, I can't reach the router (WL-500g Premium V2/oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-10 ) anymore. Now all 4 LAN and the WAN lights are constantly shining.
    Reset button doesn't help.

Is there a possibility to solve this problem?

Thanks
    WL-500gP V2 has by defaul all the 32MB enabled.
    I did the same mistake as you on my WL-500gP V2, and the only solution was to do the "pin shortcut thing" to make my router work again, doing this you will lose your warranty, but you can use your router.

Do a search before doing this, it may be another solution available ..., I did'd found another that worked, so I did the following:

First you have to download the firmware verssion you want to use
    - unplug your router
    - open the box
    - connect your router to the PC using a cable connection
    - on your PC you have to set the IP: 192.168.1.10; SUBNET: 255.255.255.0, Preffered DNS: 192.168.1.1
    - you have to make a temporar connection between the grount connector and the R56 pin of the router

Name:  IMG_2167_copy.jpg
Views: 4967
Size:  822.4 KB

- plug the power cord to the router, wait about 2 seconds and then remove the connection between the ground and the R56 pin
    - the power led on the router will start to blink
    - using the firmware restoration tool from the asus software upload to the router your desired firmware

And that's it.
    Last edited by bogd_A; 26-07-2008 at 21:27.

I need a bit of help
    I have got USB harddrive and samba running but with problems.

The first one is that the usb harddrive if not used it will power down.
    What should I do to power it back up again, or should I add something to cron to access is every 5 mins?

The second problem if I reboot the rout usb drive does not mount.
    Now the is the strange bit, if I just reboot again it does mount and everything will runs fine!!!

ideas for this one?

regards,

jippie
    Last edited by jippie; 13-08-2008 at 20:41.

Thanks bogd_A

I just tried the pin trick and it works well, the router is now in restoration mode and I can ping it.

But when I run the firmware restoration tool it always tells me something like:"searching for an available ip adress" and the restoration doesn't start.
    I tried it with tftp as well, the file transfer works, but when I switch the router off and on again, I'm in the same situation as before.

Any idea?

PS: would be nice if someone could write in the Howto, that you should't use the nvram script with a V2!

Thanks bogd_A

I just tried the pin trick and it works well, the router is now in restoration mode and I can ping it.

But when I run the firmware restoration tool it always tells me something like:"searching for an available ip adress" and the restoration doesn't start.
    I tried it with tftp as well, the file transfer works, but when I switch the router off and on again, I'm in the same situation as before.

Any idea?

PS: would be nice if someone could write in the Howto, that you should't use the nvram script with a V2!

Hy,

Sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner.
    On the PC from which you want to upload the firmware, under Local Area Connection, at Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties you have set the following?

IP address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet marsk: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Preffered DNS server: 192.168.1.1

If it still doesn't work, try to put the router again in restoration mode but using the normal way: unplug the router, connect to the PC, push and hold the black button on the back of the router (RESTORE) and plug the router, after a few secconds let go on the button and you can try again with the restoration tool.

Let me know if it works

Quote Originally Posted by bogd_A View Post
    Hy,

Sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner.
    On the PC from which you want to upload the firmware, under Local Area Connection, at Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties you have set the following?

IP address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet marsk: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Preffered DNS server: 192.168.1.1

If it still doesn't work, try to put the router again in restoration mode but using the normal way: unplug the router, connect to the PC, push and hold the black button on the back of the router (RESTORE) and plug the router, after a few secconds let go on the button and you can try again with the restoration tool.

Let me know if it works
    it could be me, but, if you go into restoration mode, your router defaults to address 192.168.1.1 and your pc needs to have 192.168.1.10 (fixed ip-mode) no dhcp

HTH

Sure Raas, ip on computer must be any between 2-254, not 1 .

The settings are like that. (first I didn't have an entry in default gateway)
    I tried it again, but I still get the "searching for available ip" message from the restoration tool.

Strange thing is, now even the tftp file transfer doesn't work anymore.

Normal way for restoration mode still doesn't work.

thanks
    Last edited by devat; 20-08-2008 at 20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by poiu View Post
    Sure Raas, ip on computer must be any between 2-254, not 1 .
    well, I'm really sorry poiu, people make mistakes.

The settings are like that. (first I didn't have an entry in default gateway)
    I tried it again, but I still get the "searching for available ip" message from the restoration tool.

Strange thing is, now even the tftp file transfer doesn't work anymore.

Normal way for restoration mode still doesn't work.

thanks
    The cable that connects the PC to the router is connected on LAN 1, 2, 3 or 4 connector from the router?

After you did the pin trick the power led on the router was blinking? and the only led that should be on was the one that indicates the LAN port you are connected?

I don't know what else you could try, for me it worked this pin trick ... if all the above are wright ... you could try again

And it works!

Just connected another laptop (running XP instead of Vista...) to the router and suddenly everything worked.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    it could be me, but, if you go into restoration mode, your router defaults to address 192.168.1.1 and your pc needs to have 192.168.1.10 (fixed ip-mode) no dhcp

HTH
    Yap

Of course it has to be .10 on the PC, as I said in the origilal post, but later I ... did a mistake, sorry for that.
    Thanks RAAS for pointing that out.

@devat: glad to hear that your router is working

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast