Thread: WL-500G: Wireless dies for several minutes 1-2 times a day

Unhappy WL-500G: Wireless dies for several minutes 1-2 times a day

Hello,

I have had a WL-500G for several years now. Initially it was a little lockup-happy, but it stabilized with firmware revisions.

Now, over the course of a few past weeks, I have a new problem with the unit: The wireless connection will stop working for several minutes at a time. The rest of the router is fine - wired clients are not affected one bit. However, two laptops both report no wireless.

Unplugging and replugging the power to the router doesn't actually seem to help. Wireless comes back 2-10 minutes later, it seems whether I reset or not.

Initially the problem manifested itself with the beta 1.9.5.0 Firmware from Asus. I downgraded to 1.9.2.7, and it didn't help. I then installed Oleg's 1.9.2.7-7e firmware and the problem SOLVED ITSELF. For 2 weeks, at least. For the past few days, I'm getting disconnects again.

It is not radio interference - I can't get a signal with the laptop 1 foot away from the router.

Does anyone know what could possibly be going on, and whether it's fixable? Leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth to lose a product from a quality manufacturer after 3 years. It's one thing if it has moving parts like a hard drive or a fan, or high power handling requirements of a motherboard. But a higher-end router should run for more than 3 years in my book.

I have exactly the same problem. Any ideas?