Thread: DHCP / WLAN Problem

DHCP / WLAN Problem

Hi all,

Although this is my first post, i would like to thank all the active members of the forum in advance. Most of my configuration problems could be solved by browsing through these threads.

Unfortunately one issue is still open:
    Since a few weeks my WL500gx starts to behave strange:

1) A new (unknown to the wl500gx) WLAN nic can not always connect (when an encryption mode is set) to the WLAN
    2) If the connection could be made. The DHCP handshakes times out and Win XP assigns the IP Address on its behalf.

I used, of course, Olegs Firmware in the newest release. Then i thought that might be the problem and switched back to the original FW of asus. But the problem remained.

Hopefully you have any idea or input how to solve the problem.

Thx,
    crabix

If you are sure that other clients could connect to the router with WPA e.g. enabled,
    please check the driver verion of your wlan nic. Go and grab the latest
    available drivers from vendor.

Maybe that helps.

Had the same problem

Hi,

I was driven crazy by the same problem. After a reinstall of one of our laptops, the router would simply not give it an ip as long as WPA was enabled. It used to work fine.

No changes what so ever had been made to the router settings.

After struggling for ages, I reset the router a couple of times, both by using the reset button and by the "reset to defaults" option in the admin pages.

After that it worked fine again with no changes done to the laptop's wifi settings.

Thank you both,

@Randale91: I think this i a router specific problem as i tried it with several NIC and the same problem occurs with all of them if an encryption mode is set (to be precise WPA (sometimes WEP worked)).

@jensm: Good to know that i am not the only one having this problem. I was short before sending it in. When i am back home i will immediatly "hard reset" the unit and then see what happens.

Does anyone know how to "format " overwrite everything on the unit? I am asking because when Olegs FW was running on the WL500g i played around with ipkg and installed and configured some stuff. I just want to be sure how to get rid of everything.

Thanks,
    crabix

DId it work?

Hi,

I'm having the same problem again... which sucks. RIght now everything is open, otherwise clients will never get an ip.

This time I have tried resetting, reloading asus FW etc, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,

Jens