Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: WAN port dies after a time of traffic

Same problem here, though, it's not specificly a problem that occurs after a lot of traffic. I suffer from this problem -for as far as I can recall- since my ISP (@Home) replaced my old Com21-modem for a Motorola.

Sometimes the connection works perfectly for 2 days, sometimes the connection dies after 30 minutes, doesn't matter what kind of traffic I have at that moment. Internal network (both cable and wireless) still work without any problems, can connect to the router with a problem too.

Though, the WAN-port seems to be dead, can't ping anything else then the ip's I have in my LAN. When I reset the router, either though the web-acces or by manual power-on/power-off, the problem is gone; though, this shouldn't be a solution, it's quite annoying.

Tried the 1.6.x.x firmwares, tried the latest official 1.7.5.6 firmware and tried forcing the speed of the WAN-port to 10 or 100; didn't help. Contacted my ISP, when my internet connection was gone; they could contact my modem, so that isn't the problem. Besides, problem doesn't occur when I connect the modem directly to a pc. Must be the router.

Hopefully a solution and/or thing I (we!) can try!
    -I am Jack's wasted life.

as you own a motorola, it is for sure the speed negotiation

try selecting 10half, 10full, 100half, 100full too...

or ask @home if the can fix the speed, don't know exactly how manageble the motorola is

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Well I asked them, what kind of speed the Motorola supported, on the phone; they indeed confirmed that the Motorola suppors both 10/100, which the Com21 doesn't.

I tried setting the speed of the WAN-port through the web-interface, but that didnt' help. Though, I read here that entering the command manually might work better?
    -I am Jack's wasted life.

i'm newbie of 500g and find the pppoe disconnect when during heavy traffic (with ftp & bt, etc). normal mail & browsing is ok.

i've update to 1.7.5.6 official firmware, and my current WAN speed is left AUTO in web interface, should i set it to 10Full ? is the web interface not working as mention ?

i've no idea of how to telnet or enter the command u guy mentions, and how to flash the custom firmware, can anyone point me to a step by step guide for newbire like me ?

Thanks, and lucky to find this forum before i give up my 500g

The update to customized version is the same as standard firmware upgrade - perform it from the web configurator.
    To Telnet the router (after you have the firmware updated to customized one) just go to command line and enter telnet 192.168.1.1. You will be requested for admin name and password then - use the same as for web configurator access. Once you get a prompt ~#, you can enter commands as described in this forum.
    You can also enter the commands to web command line http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp but do not forget to click REFRESH button (ENTER does not work).

thx technik,

after your explain, and re-read the thread i understand now, and follows the summary of thorn and seems working

btw, i've experience a LAN-to-LAN error message b4 i made the port speed change, during a backup of over 20G files from a PC to Server both connected to the LAN side, WinXP says "delay write error, the file maybe corrupted ..." something like that. which i never see with my old router. and i saw u guy previous mention fixing LAN speed, what commond can do that ? any experience with fixing the LAN port speed ?

i suppose the "/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full" change the WAN port only.

btw, when i creating printer port in a PC, i sometimes saw the download upload speed drop to 0, is this normal ?

Similar WAN Probs, but caused by dhcp Lease time

I have experienced similar dropping of connections etc. In my case browsing was fine, but download of anything large stopped after 1min. Checking the status log I saw that the asus was re-aquiring the WAN DHCP address from the modem every minute. A quick check of the the ethernet modem I have (DLINK 300T) indicated that sure enough the default lease time is 60 seconds.

Anyway Just thought I'd mention this as it's something else to check.

Similar to me

Quote Originally Posted by benhodg
    I have experienced similar dropping of connections etc. In my case browsing was fine, but download of anything large stopped after 1min. Checking the status log I saw that the asus was re-aquiring the WAN DHCP address from the modem every minute. A quick check of the the ethernet modem I have (DLINK 300T) indicated that sure enough the default lease time is 60 seconds.

Anyway Just thought I'd mention this as it's something else to check.
    I have very similar problem: I'm using the asus wl500g as home gateway. WAN cable is connected to ISP (DHCP server).

--ISP device----wan----[WL500g]~~~~wlan~~~~PC1

Each 10 minutes I can see this message: "lease is lost" in wl500g's log. When I'm donwloading a large file or reading an audiostream at this moment, then downloading is stopped Browsing is fine. I don't know what device is using my ISP. I have tried change wan connection type from "Auto negotiation" to "10MBs full" or "100Mb full" but problem persists. Please, can somebody help me?

PS: Firmware is 1.7.5.6

Quote Originally Posted by likeapear
    I have very similar problem: I'm using the asus wl500g as home gateway. WAN cable is connected to ISP (DHCP server).

--ISP device----wan----[WL500g]~~~~wlan~~~~PC1

Each 10 minutes I can see this message: "lease is lost" in wl500g's log. When I'm donwloading a large file or reading an audiostream at this moment, then downloading is stopped Browsing is fine. I don't know what device is using my ISP. I have tried change wan connection type from "Auto negotiation" to "10MBs full" or "100Mb full" but problem persists. Please, can somebody help me?

PS: Firmware is 1.7.5.6
    you could force static ip, but it could run you in problems as well. i would say give it a try, or ask your provider to change your lease time to 1 week or something.. (that's more normal)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    you could force static ip, but it could run you in problems as well. i would say give it a try, or ask your provider to change your lease time to 1 week or something.. (that's more normal)
    My ISP requires to set up client computers as DHCP clients. So, I will try contact my ISP for extension of lease time. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by likeapear
    My ISP requires to set up client computers as DHCP clients. So, I will try contact my ISP for extension of lease time. Thank you
    Before 5 minutes I have talked with my ISP. It will not make any changes of DHCP lease time He says this is problem of client (in this case of my router). Perhaps he is all right, because if I have asked my neighbour (he is connected via same ISP as me), he have no problem with connection. But he hasn't router, he is connected directly to ISP (DHCP klient is his PC).

So, is reason of problem really the Asus WL-500g? Or? What to do? Should I wait for firmware upgrade or sell my router instead?

Thanks!

the lease time of 10 minutes is the problem, when i set lease time to 10 minutes for my own (internal) clients i get problems too..
    especially when transferring files etc that exceeds 10 minutes..

because the client renews it's ip

although maybe some other things can be changed: that it does not drop it's lease immediately but checks first if the ip is changed at all. if yes then drop if no then 'renew'

but i don't know if that's possible.. I assume not with normal commands.. and maybe it needs a rewrite of the eth driver (which is probably not possible cuz broadcom won't release sources..)

Is There Somebody Who Know How To Do It?

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    the lease time of 10 minutes is the problem, when i set lease time to 10 minutes for my own (internal) clients i get problems too..
    especially when transferring files etc that exceeds 10 minutes..

because the client renews it's ip

although maybe some other things can be changed: that it does not drop it's lease immediately but checks first if the ip is changed at all. if yes then drop if no then 'renew'

but i don't know if that's possible.. I assume not with normal commands.. and maybe it needs a rewrite of the eth driver (which is probably not possible cuz broadcom won't release sources..)
    Thank you, Antiloop.

IP address after renew is still the same, but i'm not sure wheter i'm able to do it...((

IS THERE SOMEBODY WHO KNOW HOW TO DO IT?

Please provide firmware version number & system log.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Please provide firmware version number & system log.
    Firmware version is 1.7.5.6.
    System Log is attached.

Oleg, thank you for interest! Do you know how to solve my problem?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by likeapear; 05-05-2004 at 15:31.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast