Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several problems with CR5

Several problems with CR5

After upgrading to the latest modified firmware I experience several problems. I already searched on this forum for solutions, but I was unable to find an answer. Can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong or overseeing something?
    For the record: I'm a total *nix newbie but more than willing to learn

The first problem is that I cannot print. Even after creating a new RAW printerport as mentioned in the CR4 topic nothing happens when I want to print something and the svhost gives a connection error after a minute (or so). The printer I am using is a HP Laserjet 6L.

Secondly after upgrading to the CR5 release I am unable to connect to my external USB drive via ftp. In the original asus firmware this worked fine. Does the introduction of Samba has anything to do with this? And if so, is it impossible to use ftp and Samba at the same time?

Last (but not least) I was planning to try to get Samba running, but since I couldn't print anymore I downgraded to the official firmware again so I didn't get into that really. Still I have a few questions about getting samba to run;
    1) the bootCmds mentioned in the CR4 topic: is that a file ? And if so, can I just edit it with vi in a telnet session or should I change it in another way?
    2) furthermore is it possible to give a step-by-step procedure for getting samba to work; at the moment all information is spread in 2 or 3 topics (as far as I can see) which doesn't make it easier for a newbie like me. Don't get me wrong; I am not asking for a 'and now type this here and here' thing, only a small list of all actions needed to be taken in what order to get it running. The exact information I can find in the other topics. I just want to make sure I don't forget something or do things in the wrong order.
    3) My external HDD is formatted in FAT32; is this going to be a problem (the little I know about Samba tells me not, but I want to check anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist
    The first problem is that I cannot print. Even after creating a new RAW printerport as mentioned in the CR4 topic nothing happens when I want to print something and the svhost gives a connection error after a minute (or so). The printer I am using is a HP Laserjet 6L.
    Try creating completely new printer port, as described on the Linux Router project page. ASUS derived settings are not valid
    Secondly after upgrading to the CR5 release I am unable to connect to my external USB drive via ftp. In the original asus firmware this worked fine. Does the introduction of Samba has anything to do with this? And if so, is it impossible to use ftp and Samba at the same time?
    I've checked this today. Works just fine both with samba & ftp. Have you tried ftp access from WAN or LAN?
    Last (but not least) I was planning to try to get Samba running, but since I couldn't print anymore I downgraded to the official firmware again so I didn't get into that really. Still I have a few questions about getting samba to run;
    1) the bootCmds mentioned in the CR4 topic: is that a file ? And if so, can I just edit it with vi in a telnet session or should I change it in another way?
    No, these are the commands, which you should enter at the shell prompt once you've established telnet or ssh connection to the wl500g. Try this telnet link.
    2) furthermore is it possible to give a step-by-step procedure for getting samba to work; at the moment all information is spread in 2 or 3 topics (as far as I can see) which doesn't make it easier for a newbie like me. Don't get me wrong; I am not asking for a 'and now type this here and here' thing, only a small list of all actions needed to be taken in what order to get it running. The exact information I can find in the other topics. I just want to make sure I don't forget something or do things in the wrong order.
    ok, that's it
    • be sure that you've specified Hostname on the IP config page
    • telnet to router by typing "telnet my.router" in your windows box or try this link
    • type you login & password (same as web interface)
    • if you've entered you password correctly you will get the linux shell prompt (something like ~ #)
    • type this commands to force samba to load on startup
      Code:
      nvram set bootCmd_smbd="/usr/sbin/smbd -D"
      nvram set bootCmd_nmbd="/usr/sbin/nmbd -D"
      nvram commit
    • once you've done this (and no error messages was displayed) reboot your router by typing
      Code:
      reboot
    • wait for 60 seconds for router to reboot and try your samba

3) My external HDD is formatted in FAT32; is this going to be a problem (the little I know about Samba tells me not, but I want to check anyway )
    Should not be a problem.
    Last edited by Oleg; 02-06-2004 at 08:24.

Netfilter configuration reset

Hi Oleg,

it seems there's a problem with IPTABLES settings - some users reported that the netfilter configuration was reset to some default as soon as the router was synchronized with NTP server. If the NTP server is disabled, everything seems to be OK. It occurs periodically and the custom filter settings (does not matter if it was done through web configurator or through command line) is dropped. At the moment we don't know if the same problem occur with the original firmware or not - affected custom firmwares are (at least) 1.7.5.6-3, 1.7.5.6-4, 1.7.5.6-5 .
    Don't you have an idea where could be the problem please?

You mean custom settings via bootCmds? Or the settings made via web iface?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Via web interface and via command line as well. It's not a bootCmd problem.

rules entered via cmd line or boot cmds are always flashed when connection is established. To workaround this use trick as described in the CR3 notes
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=385

I don't understand... I was talking about web config settings as well - it's also lost...
    Never mind, I can't test it at the moment anyway. The temporary solution is to disable NTP synchronization.

I've no idea why web settings was lost. As for NTP - the problem is not with NTP, but we connection notification. Once connection established wl500g starts NTP synchronization & refreshes firewall rules.

samba

hi, i´ve changed in smb.conf the "workgroup" to something esle with vi editor. so far so good. but every time i reboot the changes are lost. ive tried nvram commit, but happens the same. anyone knows how to change permently??

thanks

Try creating completely new printer port, as described on the Linux Router project page. ASUS derived settings are not valid
    Today I removed my printer and installed it again together with a new TCP/IP printerport and it works fine now. I don't understand why this doesn't work if you change an existing port to a RAW TCP/IP port, but it works now

I've checked this today. Works just fine both with samba & ftp. Have you tried ftp access from WAN or LAN?
    I tries it from the LAN side first. Today I tried it again and now it works also ... Maybe something went not completely right the last time I upgraded my firmware since both the printer and ftp problem have dissapeared ....

• be sure that you've specified Hostname on the IP config page
    • telnet to router by typing "telnet my.router" in your windows box or try this link
    • type you login & password (same as web interface)
    • if you've entered you password correctly you will get the linux shell prompt (something like ~ #)
    • type this commands to force samba to load on startup
      Code:
      nvram set bootCmd_smbd="/usr/sbin/smbd -D"
      nvram set bootCmd_nmbd="/usr/sbin/nmbd -D"
      nvram commit
    • once you've done this (and no error messages was displayed) reboot your router by typing
      Code:
      reboot
    • wait for 60 seconds for router to reboot and try your samba
    Thanks !! I am gonna try it right now

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    hi, i´ve changed in smb.conf the "workgroup" to something esle with vi editor. so far so good. but every time i reboot the changes are lost. ive tried nvram commit, but happens the same. anyone knows how to change permently??

thanks
    Code:
    nvram set bootCmd0="sed \"s/WORKGROUP/MYGROUP/\" /ramfs/etc/smb.conf > /etc/smb.conf"
    nvram set bootCmd1="/usr/sbin/smbd -D"
    nvram set bootCmd2="/usr/sbin/nmbd -D"
    nvram commit
    reboot

Hi Oleg,
    I thing there are two problems:
    1. "wireless firewall" rules disappear
    2. rules inserted via bootCmd disappear
    Both theese does not occure when you are not connected to Internet, or when you clear NTP server address setting (this seems to block watchdog somehow).
    As for 1. I think the problem is in firewall_change script which ignores "wireles firewall"/Dmz configuration. But firewall script works.
    As for 2. the cause is that firewall_change script flushes FORWARD chain rules at the begginnig. There is a workaround (mentioned in forum) to append iptables commands to the /var/tmp/pppoe_rule2 file, which is executed from firewall.refresh script after firewall_change. But it works only for PPPoE and PPTP setup.
    I have lost myself in firewall_change script a bit, but I executed firewall and firewall.refresh scripts by hand and the behaviour was as I described.
    By the way: thx a lot for theese customized firmwares they are invaluable to me.
    yato

Exclamation samba

just for comfirmation , before i enter the code, where is "/WORKGROUP/MYGROUP/" i put my workgroup (for example: mshome" or i leave as is???

nvram set bootCmd0="sed \"s/WORKGROUP/MYGROUP/\" /ramfs/etc/smb.conf > /etc/smb

Code:
    nvram set bootCmd0="sed \"s/WORKGROUP/MYGROUP/\" /ramfs/etc/smb.conf > /etc/smb.conf"
    nvram set bootCmd1="/usr/sbin/smbd -D"
    nvram set bootCmd2="/usr/sbin/nmbd -D"
    nvram commit
    reboot

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    just for comfirmation , before i enter the code, where is "/WORKGROUP/MYGROUP/" i put my workgroup (for example: mshome" or i leave as is???
    nvram set bootCmd0="sed \"s/WORKGROUP/MSHOME/\" /ramfs/etc/smb.conf > /etc/smb.conf"

Man, is it really too hard to try it?
    The command above just replaces WORKGROUP word by MSHOME in the smb.conf file...

Quote Originally Posted by yato
    Hi Oleg,
    I thing there are two problems:
    1. "wireless firewall" rules disappear
    2. rules inserted via bootCmd disappear
    Both theese does not occure when you are not connected to Internet, or when you clear NTP server address setting (this seems to block watchdog somehow).
    As for 1. I think the problem is in firewall_change script which ignores "wireles firewall"/Dmz configuration. But firewall script works.
    Seems to be a bug in ASUS scripts.If you've a solution - let me know.
    As for 2. the cause is that firewall_change script flushes FORWARD chain rules at the begginnig. There is a workaround (mentioned in forum) to append iptables commands to the /var/tmp/pppoe_rule2 file, which is executed from firewall.refresh script after firewall_change. But it works only for PPPoE and PPTP setup.
    Ok, I will probably add direct iptables manipulation to the next firmware release... Things a re too complicated now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast